Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 14, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #5,387 of 6,472
10098604.jpg
10098605.jpg
Thought y'all might want to see my impressions here (already posted this on Mike and Jason's boards). Received my Jot MB card yesterday and promptly installed [that top did not want to come off!] to create one of the first ever Schwarz Jotumbis! Testing was brutal- 2hrs on Utopia, followed by 3 more hours on double Vidar->Klipsch Cornwall III (AB'd vs. Gumby); followed by another 2+ hours back on the Utopias/T1's/LCD-XC. My head still hurts- was it all the Schiit testing or tequila? Both?
Initial impression: Mike is right- card definitely needs breaking in (some harshness in the treble), but remarkably good already for CAB! Don't expect this thing to bring the buttery smoothness or resolution of the Gumby/MJ stack, but I can take my Jotumbi EVERYWHERE!
Thank you Jason and Mike for another slam dunk!
One concern: USB seems very picky; won't work at all with IPad, fine on Windows 10, Mac Mini and IPhone, but requires fiddling with the cable on the back every time. Anyone else here have this problem?

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #5,388 of 6,472
10098604.jpg
10098605.jpg
Thought y'all might want to see my impressions here (already posted this on Mike and Jason's boards). Received my Jot MB card yesterday and promptly installed [that top did not want to come off!] to create one of the first ever Schwarz Jotumbis! Testing was brutal- 2hrs on Utopia, followed by 3 more hours on double Vidar->Klipsch Cornwall III (AB'd vs. Gumby); followed by another 2+ hours back on the Utopias/T1's/LCD-XC. My head still hurts- was it all the Schiit testing or tequila? Both?
Initial impression: Mike is right- card definitely needs breaking in (some harshness in the treble), but remarkably good already for CAB! Don't expect this thing to bring the buttery smoothness or resolution of the Gumby/MJ stack, but I can take my Jotumbi EVERYWHERE!
One concern: USB seems very picky; won't work at all with IPad, fine on Windows 10, Mac Mini and IPhone, but requires fiddling with the cable on the back every time. Anyone else here have this problem?
Thank you for your impressions! Can you tell me more about the Jotumbi and LCD-XC combo? Thank You!!

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #5,389 of 6,472
Thank you for your impressions! Can you tell me more about the Jotumbi and LCD-XC combo? Thank You!!
It's basically the only amp I have ever used with the LCD-XC (balanced). I have no other high end closed cans to compare it with. This combo is simply my normal (with the 4490 card). I have not had opportunity to burn-in/do extensive testing with the mb card yet, but, I will update as I have opportunity.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #5,390 of 6,472
It's basically the only amp I have ever used with the LCD-XC (balanced). I have no other high end closed cans to compare it with. This combo is simply my normal (with the 4490 card). I have not had opportunity to burn-in/do extensive testing with the mb card yet, but, I will update as I have opportunity.
That would be very much appreciated!!

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #5,391 of 6,472
10098604.jpg
10098605.jpg
Interested in how this pairs with XC? ImprssionsIof both amp and DAC separately.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #5,392 of 6,472
What do you all think of "Jumby" as the nickname?
Still testing/breaking in- had a migraine today, so, I'm a little behind a few of you who already have yours burned in. Will let you know what I think of the Jumby->XC when I'm feeling better and have more break in. Right now we are on VERY LOW VOLUME.

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #5,393 of 6,472

The multibit dac card works with my ipad with the newer camera kit (the one with USB and lightning ports), but like you I have to pull out and re-insert the usb in the back every time I turn on the Jot, else the ipad won't recognize the dac. I did not have the issue with the first gen 4490 card.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #5,394 of 6,472
I've found the Gen 2 USB implementation to be flaky and I had issues with my iMac (both with my first gen 4490 card and Bimby). When I upgraded to the Gen 5 USB for by Bimby, all the issues went away.

This is one of the reasons I'm sticking with the Bimby rather than going to the MultiBit card option.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #5,395 of 6,472
Really enjoying the XC today on the Jumby with a dose of War on Drugs. I have a strong preference for these hp's with rock/pop music where the instruments need to blend together into a whole wall of sound. I much prefer a more analytical set on Jazz/electronic music and switch over to T1/Utopia/HE-X. The layering on these types of cans however can be distracting and actually take away for me on rock tracks, so, the whole LCD line is perfect for that. This isn't to say that you can't hear the individual instruments on the XC's, it's just that they feel more coherent than on the more super-analytical cans.
Still don't think I am through the break in phase of the new mb card, however, not complaining, just no miracles yet.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #5,396 of 6,472
Replaced the Gen5 USB in my Gumby this morning, not sure I hear a difference, but boy that thing just works. Sure wish I had something like that in the mb card for the Jot, now it has decided it doesn't like my Iphone or my Ipad! Literally nada. Works fine with Windows. So if you are running PC, you're golden.
Going at the listening tests more extensively today. Random unscientific observations: Everything I threw at the Utopia sounded like Utopia (sorry if I am a dope, but that's what I hear), which is good or bad depending on your preferences. It always sounds good. When I throw it on my DAP with a fiio A5, it still sounds nearly the same! The real standout with Utopia is Jazz music. In this genre I can clearly hear the superiority of the Gumby/MJ2 stack over Jumby. Jumby sounds a tiny bit stale/shrill in comparison. I find myself plugging back into MJ2 for jazz every time.
LCD-XC had more distinctiveness between the Jot amp section and the MJ2 both being fed by the Gumby. Still nothing to write home about, just sounds good no matter what! Minimal distinction on various genres (Dead Can Dance, electronic, Iron and Wine, Pink Floyd). This is actually what I like in these cans- high reliability and versatility. I'm not saying you don't hear any differences between upstream equipment (you do!), I just think it is more subtle on Utopia and XC- as always IMHO.
Now, when it came to the T1.1 (balanced mod) we start to see some daylight. Right now I am not certain how much has to do with Dacs: Gumby vs. Jot mb card or the MJ2 vs. Jot amp section. What I did listen carefully to was the MJ2 vs. Jot both fed by the Gumby. The T1's sound more natural, lifelike, on MJ2, the mid-presence is luscious on the vocals. Lips sound wet on MJ2, whereas on Jot they sound dry. Bells sound realistic and lingering on the MJ, somewhat receded on the Jot. I don't have a Lyr3 (yet!) but you might be able to extrapolate.
Just judging as a total package MJ2/Gumby clearly trumps the Jumby on lifelike/realism, but guys and gals, I want you to know something. These new mb dac/amp packages are awesome! On the XC's, I'm having to look over my shoulder to double check if I am listening to the Gumby/MJ2 stack or the Jumby. I'm generally not sure. It is only when I move to the more revealing end of the headphone spectrum that we start to see where your money is going. And again, only on certain genres.
If I were starting from scratch today (and yes I've heard YGGY a bunch and it is awesome to behold), I'd probably just buy a Lyr 3 or Jot with the mb card and be done with it. I believe for the vast majority of listeners the Schiit mad scientists have created two products that get the price/performance so right that it is hard to justify going further unless you have money to play (I have a little). My advice: spend your extra money on different kinds of headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #5,397 of 6,472
Replaced the Gen5 USB in my Gumby this morning, not sure I hear a difference, but boy that thing just works. Sure wish I had something like that in the mb card for the Jot, now it has decided it doesn't like my Iphone or my Ipad! Literally nada. Works fine with Windows. So if you are running PC, you're golden.
Going at the listening tests more extensively today. Random unscientific observations: Everything I threw at the Utopia sounded like Utopia (sorry if I am a dope, but that's what I hear), which is good or bad depending on your preferences. It always sounds good. When I throw it on my DAP with a fiio A5, it still sounds nearly the same!
LCD-XC had more distinctiveness between the Jot amp section and the MJ2 both being fed by the Gumby. Still nothing to write home about, just sounds good no matter what! Minimal distinction on various genres (Dead Can Dance, electronic, Iron and Wine, Pink Floyd). This is actually what I like in these cans- high reliability and versatility. I'm not saying you don't hear any differences between upstream equipment (you do!), I just think it is more subtle on Utopia and XC- as always IMHO.
Now, when it came to the T1.1 (balanced mod) we start to see some daylight. Right now I am not certain how much has to do with Dacs: Gumby vs. Jot mb card or the MJ2 vs. Jot amp section. What I did listen carefully to was the MJ2 vs. Jot both fed by the Gumby. The T1's sound more natural, lifelike, on MJ2, the mid-presence is luscious on the vocals. Lips sound wet on MJ2, whereas on Jot they sound dry. Bells sound realistic and lingering on the MJ, somewhat receded on the Jot. I don't have a Lyr3 (yet!) but you might be able to extrapolate.
Just judging as a total package MJ2/Gumby clearly trumps the Jumby on lifelike/realism, but guys and gals, I want you to know something. These new mb dac/amp packages are awesome! On the XC's, I'm having to look over my shoulder to double check if I am listening to the Gumby/MJ2 stack or the Jumby. I'm generally not sure.
If I were starting from scratch today (and yes I've heard YGGY a bunch and it is awesome to behold), I'd probably just buy a Lyr 3 or Jot with the mb card and be done with it. I believe for the vast majority of listeners the Schiit mad scientists have created two products that get the price/performance so right that it is hard to justify going further unless you have money to play. My advice: spend your extra money on different kinds of headphones.
Thank you for the thorough reply terminatetrails! I believe you are right that most people starting from scratch would select between the lyr 3 and the jotunheim with Multibit card... because that is me at the moment! For now the balanced output on the jotunheim appeals to me but I have more research to do. Again thank you!!

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #5,398 of 6,472
Have other people have issues with the GEN 5 USB and their iphone / ipad, i was considering upgrading to GEN 5 for a bitfrost to use with my JOT but if it stops working with iPhone or iPad that will not work for me. Anyone know? I am running iOS 9+

EDIT: i contacted schiit and they said that it will work with iPhone/iPad and there should be no issues

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #5,399 of 6,472
I just picked up my dream cans: Audeze LCD-4, for a killer deal. A local web dealer had some they brought in for a review. I've bought a few (expensive) things from them and they let these go cheap, although that's relative. Less than a month old.

I'm at work now; I can't wait to get home and see if Jotty with the MB DAC drives them properly. If not, back to the Phonitor X, I guess. The LCD-2s might soon be on the auction block.

I'll share my impressions. From the specs, the Jot is just on the borderline of driving them adequately. The test will be in the listening; I will report back.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #5,400 of 6,472
Have other people have issues with the GEN 5 USB and their iphone / ipad, i was considering upgrading to GEN 5 for a bitfrost to use with my JOT but if it stops working with iPhone or iPad that will not work for me. Anyone know? I am running iOS 9+

EDIT: i contacted schiit and they said that it will work with iPhone/iPad and there should be no issues
In the above post I was actually praising the Gen5 for the fact that it WORKS and is so versatile in contrast to my experience with the normal usb that is built into the new mb universal cards. I'm still playing with them to see if it is a cable/connector problem, but still no luck with ipad/iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back