Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #4,306 of 6,472
Does the Jotunheim can use the RCA input then BAL out the a power amp ? Also, can I connect Galaxy S7 with a USB cable to it ?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes you can use otg cable to power and use the dac. I've tried it with my HTC 10.

And yes there's balance output from the jotunheim regardless of what input you feed it.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,307 of 6,472
Yes you can use otg cable to power and use the dac. I've tried it with my HTC 10.

And yes there's balance output from the jotunheim regardless of what input you feed it.

Oh that's sweet, thank you.

I've just ordered the Jotunheim and it was shipped same day. I guess I'm lucky.

Can't wait to try this with my HD-650s. My current amp/dac is the Audioengine D3 
dt880smile.png

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #4,308 of 6,472
Well, Jot's got insanely good measurments, it's a technically amazing amp. People need to learn how to use an Equalizer, it's a hell of alot easier and cheaper to find a good, neutral amp and EQ it to your preference to fix bright headphones, then it is to swap out expensive gear all the time. I don't see what the big deal is. 20 minutes with a good Parametric EQ like math audio, in Foobar, and your all set. For what it's worth, I found the Jot to be less bright then an O2.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,309 of 6,472
I think the Jot does great with the 560, for what it's worth. I EQ minor on the treble.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #4,310 of 6,472
I can't wait to try the Jotunheim as a preamp for my Emotiva XPA-2 amp. I've always had the BDP-105 connected directly to it.

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #4,311 of 6,472
The internal DAC is such a let down it does not do justice to the amp by not letting it show it's real capability.
Not only is it not resolving enough, it has a very poor synergy with bright dac and bright amp pairing.

Schiit may sell more unit by offering a dac option but I feel their reputation will suffer long term by unimpressed customers.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #4,312 of 6,472
  The internal DAC is such a let down it does not do justice to the amp by not letting it show it's real capability.
Not only is it not resolving enough, it has a very poor synergy with bright dac and bright amp pairing.

Schiit may sell more unit by offering a dac option but I feel their reputation will suffer long term by unimpressed customers.

I'm curious, how are you making this assessment?  Are you comparing it against something connected to the SE input such as a DAP, CD player, or another DAC?

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #4,313 of 6,472
I am using modi multibit. The mimby has it's own flaws too, namely, too dark. But it has much better synergy with Jot making it sounds more neutral. Also, the mimby is more resolving then jot's internal dac.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #4,316 of 6,472
Of course we all hear differently. 

With that said I have heard, owned or extensively used several different Schiit DAC's and would not call any of them dark.  As far as the DAC for the Jot I found it to be a very capable DAC for $100.00.  While I do prefer my Bimby, if space or money was an issue I could use the DAC in the Jot on a daily basis.

Neutral and revealing, detailed presentation would be how I would describe them. 

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada 

beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #4,317 of 6,472
  Odac, creative zxr, emu-0204
mimby is the darkest of them all.

I own both a Bifrost MB and Uber along with a Modi2uber (4490) and have previously owned original Modi and Modi Optical, I've also heard my friend's Yggy a few times and none of these DACs are dark, if anything they are pretty neutral IMO with the original Modi being a touch on the bright side.  I've also owned a ODAC/O2 which to me was quite bright.  The Modi2uber to some of my friends sound better than the Bimby so I find it hard to believe that you find the built-in 4490 DAC of the Jot to be that bad but at the same time you are saying that the Jot is also a bright amp if you like it paired with a dark Mimby.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #4,318 of 6,472
I have not heard modiUber so I cannot comment how similar it is to the Jot's internal dac. Even if dac are using t he same chip, implementation such as power supply and filter will alter the sound so they will never sound the same. If all 4490 sounds the same, there is no need for different dacs using the same chip selling at different price point.
Jot with internal dac is a very bright combination that can even make hd650 sounds slightly analytical.

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #4,319 of 6,472
  I have not heard modiUber so I cannot comment how similar it is to the Jot's internal dac. Even if dac are using t he same chip, implementation such as power supply and filter will alter the sound so they will never sound the same. If all 4490 sounds the same, there is no need for different dacs using the same chip selling at different price point.
Jot with internal dac is a very bright combination that can even make hd650 sounds slightly analytical.

To me the Jot as an amp is on the bright side and even if the implementation of the 4490 is different I've yet to hear one that is bright, these are DACs that use the 4490 that I've heard: Teac UD-503, Hegel HD??, NuPrime DAC-9, Bifrost and Modi2uber, yes they all sound slightly different but I would not consider any of these bright.  My other reason for thinking the 4490 built in DAC of the Jot is not bright is when I tried my friends Jot (no built in DAC) it did not pair well with HD800, HD700, T1 and HE560, all were too bright sounding on the Jot compared to HA-501, Lyr2 (Siemens CCa's), Liquid Carbon and Ember (Telefunken 12AU7).

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #4,320 of 6,472
If I buy the Jotunheim, should I get it with the balanced DAC option or save $100 and use it with the Mimby I already have? I mostly just want it so I can hook up my HD650s to the balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back