Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,811 of 6,469
My Jot will be to me on Tuesday of next week. I sold my Ragnarok to buy a Jot btw...it'll be interesting. I'll be preamping with a Freya as well, which contributed to me getting rid of the Ragnarok (as preamp duties for my speaker setup).

So Lossless on Foobar > Singxer Su-1 > Holo Spring Dac Lvl3 >> balanced to Freya >> balanced to Jotunheim >> balanced to HD800/HE560 and soon to be EMU Teak.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #3,812 of 6,469
i still don't know what to choose between jot and lyr 2.
a friend of mine said that there's no way lyr 2 is that powerful...

I run LCD 2's with a Lyr but didn't realize the Lyr was what I needed until it was right in my face. Coming from Hifiman EF-5, which is also a tube hybrid, with 1 watt per channel wasn't sufficient enough to make my LCD 2's (2016 Adorama exclusives if that helps) sing the way the Lyr does. My vol pot is only 1/4 of the way up and it is what most people would consider loud. Half way up the pot would be too uncomfortable to listen to but this is a good thing because Ohms don't matter with the Orthos. You want current, which is watts per channel in this case, that will max the efficiency of your cans, and the Lyr 1/2 does by far the best job besides maybe a Mjolnir 2 which sounds better with a balanced connection and had a lower noise floor.

Hope this helps.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,813 of 6,469
  My Jot will be to me on Tuesday of next week. I sold my Ragnarok to buy a Jot btw...it'll be interesting. I'll be preamping with a Freya as well, which contributed to me getting rid of the Ragnarok (as preamp duties for my speaker setup).

Cannot wait to hear your comparison of the two...

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #3,814 of 6,469

Cannot wait to hear your comparison of the two...

I'm skeptically hopeful
confused_face.gif

Some have said that the Jot is the best offering sound-wise in the entire Schiit line-up; I wonder if these people have had the Ragnarok for an extended time in their home to listen to or perhaps they're experiencing the magic of syngergy. I don't know any of these persons firsthand btw, just grapevine stuff.

I feel with the Freya and Jott together ($1100 in cost together) it may be competing as a side-grade to the Rag, at least I'm hoping. If it takes a very slight SQ hit for headphones, I'd still be content considering I've played well for my speaker rig with the Freya. We shall see

SGTM

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #3,816 of 6,469
The LCD-2 is not particularly power hungry.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,818 of 6,469
So no reason to purchase an external dac in your opinion? I'm thinking of getting a Multibit DAC even tho the jotunheim has a built in one. Hmm, maybe wait a little while and go all the way to a gumby!

I've been doing this for awhile, i've experimented alot, built amps, built dac's, tried many things and im not a huge believer in DAC's beyond a certain performance point. Lot of Modi Multibits have been sold recently, they are FOTM. Alot of people bought them, and then decided they wanted a Jotunheim, they "want" their Modi to sound better, and expect it too, so of course it does. I will tell you, the Balanced 4490 in the Jotunheim, technically measures better then Modi Multibit, we'll have to leave it at that.

But i encourage you to find out for yourself, buy a Multi-Bit and try it, but do it right. The Jotunheim will make it very easy to A/B these at the same volume level.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3,820 of 6,469
I have the first Lyr and the Jot, and both are excellent with the LCD 2. You wouldn't regret either purchase.

There ya go. Worst cas scenario, you have 15 days to return either and get the other one. I would probably start with Jot because it is the least powerful. Don't let people tell you they don't need power though. Just because you can get the volume loud doesn't mean that your cans are working to your full potential. The higher end is easier to drive so you will get that volume but to get the low end there you do need sufficient wattage. good luck!

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #3,822 of 6,469
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]

Unfortunatly in italy there s no 14 days return policy... So i have to decide what is best for my lcd2..
Does lyr2have noise floor? When the music is low i hate to hear "ssssssh"...

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #3,823 of 6,469
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]

Unfortunatly in italy there s no 14 days return policy... So i have to decide what is best for my lcd2..
Does lyr2have noise floor? When the music is low i hate to hear "ssssssh"...

Hey I was looking at balanced cables for lcd2 on ebay and there was a guy selling a brand new audeze one from his lcd-x for $70, a lot cheaper than the custom ones. Might help you save money if you decided to go with jotunheim and went balanced. Idk about shipping but assuming he will do it.

I personally would go jotunheim and get a balanced cable if you decide you want more power.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #3,824 of 6,469
Hey I was looking at balanced cables for lcd2 on ebay and there was a guy selling a brand new audeze one from his lcd-x for $70, a lot cheaper than the custom ones. Might help you save money if you decided to go with jotunheim and went balanced. Idk about shipping but assuming he will do it.

I personally would go jotunheim and get a balanced cable if you decide you want more power.

i know a guy that makes cables at about 80euros... the cable is the not the problem.. i just wanted the best solution ,an end game amp.. that's all.. i still haven't decided..
but i wanted to order it tomorrow..

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3,825 of 6,469
 Hello...I'm a very happy owner of a Jot for the last 2 months or so. Have returned a Bimby after seeing little difference to the balanced internal DAC. I especially like the sound as a preamp to my Audioengine N22 amp and P4 passive bamboo speakers and  S8 subwoofer. Thought it was a bit chirpy at first, coming from a Audioengine  D1 dac ( which I liked for years, but wanted to try the jot) . I was hoping for more separation of instruments in the mostly jazz that I listen to. After a 3 day and night burn in to my Sen HD650's > balanced cable, suddenly I could hear things like the snare drums on Bill Evens & Philly Joe Jones "Green Dolphin Street" like I've never heard before. The chirpiness I first heard, especially female vocals was gone. Just fantastic.
 I have 2 questions that maybe someone out there with more expertise can answer for me. Firstly does using the high gain switch most of the time, affect the longevity of the Jot? It doesn't seem to get any warmer in high gain. Secondly, I'm thinking of ordering a Massdrop x AKG K7XX, now on sale. Is it a good match for the Jot?
                                                                                                                                Thanks so much EtRec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back