Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 19, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,451 of 6,472
I own both the MJ2 and the Jotunheim as well and if you aren't keen on tube sound/tube rolling/tube aesthetic romanticism and given the price disparity between the two then please do not think you'll be left wanting once you own the Jotun. I love tubes but I have no issue admitting I actually rather the Jotun over the LISST MJ2, especially if you aren't running your headphones balanced.

Both are balanced units, so I don't understand why you said "If you aren't running your headphones balanced." Are you saying the Mjolnir 2 is better running balanced headphones?

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3,452 of 6,472
Both are balanced units, so I don't understand why you said "If you aren't running your headphones balanced." Are you saying the Mjolnir 2 is better running balanced headphones?

That may have come off ambiguous as per my wording, what I meant is that the SE on the MJ2 is lacking when directly compared to the one on the Jotunheim. The balanced outs seem to be of just about equal quality however.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,453 of 6,472
That may have come off ambiguous as per my wording, what I meant is that the SE on the MJ2 is lacking when directly compared to the one on the Jotunheim. The balanced outs seem to be of just about equal quality however.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #3,454 of 6,472
I use Jot for preamp for active near field monitors. The speakers are powered off with a remote controlled plug when listening to headphones and the headphones are sometimes unplugged when listening to speakers. I am using speakers and headphones fully balanced except when listening to vinyl when I switch the Jot to SE input from a Mani phono preamp. Input from Yggy is balanced.

Have you ever used a Magni2U as a preamp? I have and find it completely unacceptable when compared to my passive Adcom SLC-505. And this is even with very modest Paradigm A2 powered speakers. I have a Jotunheim on order and would like for it be able to pull duty as a preamp and remove the Adcom from the chain, as I do not need anything more than one input. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,455 of 6,472
No, please elaborate, is it too sensitive near the low volumes? Jot seems perfectly matched with my speakers. They are set at notched midpoint, and are modestly louder than my headphones for any given volume pot setting on the Jot.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #3,456 of 6,472
Compressed soundstage is the best I can describe it. And pressure build up/congestion in my ears. I have tried to make it work a few times, thinking I just need to adjust to the sound. Then I remove it and replace it with the Adcom and it is a relief- an "ah hah, I'm not insane" moment. This is all at modest volume, a max of low 80dbs as measured by a RadioShack db meter.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,457 of 6,472
I've read that the Mimby & Bimby are better than the Jot's DAC (as to be expected) but how much of a difference is it?  I'm thinking of buying the Jot with the built in DAC and maybe upgrading to the Bimby (for the same form factor) sometime in the future.  I also have a Chord Mojo to use, though most of the time I'd stick with the built-in DAC for convenience.

How good is the built-in DAC?  Considering Schiit's normal value/cost ratio, and the relatively large size of the board & components (compared to other $100 DACs), I would think it should be pretty good.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #3,458 of 6,472
 Considering Schiit's normal value/cost ratio, and the relatively large size of the board & components (compared to other $100 DACs), I would think it should be pretty good.

I would guess it is better than the computer's DAC. Also, I would guess it is good until you hear something better. Those saying it is not good have heard better DACs. If you have not heard better DACs, it will likely be fine.

You could get a Modi Uber for about the same price, which may be better. You could get a Modi MB for $150 more, which is known to sound better.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #3,459 of 6,472
I would guess it is better than the computer's DAC. Also, I would guess it is good until you hear something better. Those saying it is not good have heard better DACs. If you have not heard better DACs, it will likely be fine.

You could get a Modi Uber for about the same price, which may be better. You could get a Modi MB for $150 more, which is known to sound better.

I get the feeling people may be underestimating the DAC.  It's specs looks better than the Modi Uber, and it's got two separate DACs since it's running in balanced mode.  Granted, the Multibit DACs would certainly be better though.

I'd prefer to keep the same form factor for stacking, which means I'd need to go with the Bimby for $600 to upgrade to a Multibit DAC.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,461 of 6,472
  DS DACs like AK4490 have balanced output, so only one DAC.

No, not true.

The AK4490 is stereo, but it is not balanced.  To have balanced across all phases (- left, + left, -right, +right) you need 2 to get all 4.

Which is why the Jotunheim has 2 x 4490 DAC chips.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,462 of 6,472
DS DACs like AK4490 have balanced output, so only one DAC.

The AK4490 is a two channel DAC chip. It still takes two for balanced output with each side having two channels. Schiit uses two AK4490 chips in the Jotunheim and one in the Modi and Bifrost.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #3,463 of 6,472
No, not true.

The AK4490 is stereo, but it is not balanced.  To have balanced across all phases (- left, + left, -right, +right) you need 2 to get all 4.

Which is why the Jotunheim has 2 x 4490 DAC chips.

I think we commented at the same time, LOL.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #3,464 of 6,472
I get the feeling people may be underestimating the DAC.  It's specs looks better than the Modi Uber, and it's got two separate DACs since it's running in balanced mode.  Granted, the Multibit DACs would certainly be better though.

I'd prefer to keep the same form factor for stacking, which means I'd need to go with the Bimby for $600 to upgrade to a Multibit DAC.

I have both the Modi MB as well as the Jotun's internal DAC - the difference is noticeable even without me actively looking for it; I'm sure you would not be disappointed once you upgrade from the internal card to the Bifrost MB. I'd say the internal DAC is more competent than a lot of people give it credit for but it's still a DS DAC despite being balanced, I've not got extensive experience with other similarly priced (100-200) devices but still.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,465 of 6,472

I'm in the exact same boat as you - planning to get the Jotunheim soon, and want to go multi-bit, but want to go Bifrost for the same form factor (same width, almost the same height). I've also decided I will be going Jotunheim + built-in DAC for now, and then possibly getting a Bimby later on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back