Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 14, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,422 of 6,472
Hi guys,

where can I find how much is the output power of the pre-out XLR from the Jotunheim with the AKM dac equipped and using USB input? Can this be used as a variable line-out? Under "specs" http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim only the HP output power is rated.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #3,423 of 6,472
Seem to recall from the thread that the "Pre Outs" are variable...which would make sense to me.

Based on the specs, it seems that the Max Output is 2.0V RMS

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,424 of 6,472
Hmm thanks, but 2 Vrms would be very low over XLR, "standard" for unbalanced RCA output would be like 2 / 2.1 Vrms sure, but balanced XLR "normally" has at least 4 / 4.2 Vrms (or more if variable). I'm really wondering why I can't find any information for this.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #3,425 of 6,472
Yeah they don't differentiate between the two on their site...did you email them?

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3,426 of 6,472
I remember reading somewhere that the multibit DAC needs to be left powered on all the time for best SQ.. Why is this true or not and how much energy is wasted per year? Does this also apply absolutely to the JOT amp as well?

Why are there orange glowing lights inside the JOT chassis??

I only listen to my gear on weekends so wondering if should just leave the Mimby on all the time and turn on the JOT for the weekends?

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,427 of 6,472
I remember reading somewhere that the multibit DAC needs to be left powered on all the time for best SQ.. Why is this true or not and how much energy is wasted per year? Does this also apply absolutely to the JOT amp as well?

I only listen to my gear on weekends so wondering if should just leave the Mimby on all the time and turn on the JOT for the weekends?

I leave my Bimby and Jot on 24/7.  

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,428 of 6,472

It's true since the tiny resistor ladders inside the AD5547 chip in Modi and Bifrost are sensitive to temperature change. Energy wasted / should not even increase your bills in the 10% or more range as Mimby uses very little power. As for Jot, it's a solid-state amp which does not rely on sensitive resistors for precision conversion of digital to analog signal so there's no need to leave them on 24/7.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #3,430 of 6,472
Jan 16, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #3,431 of 6,472

They have a use in the circuit. I don't recall exactly but they are used because they have as constant power draw and that factor is used in setting or stabilizing part of the circuit.

Schiit provided the answer somewhere in here or the schiit happened thread.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #3,432 of 6,472
They have a use in the circuit. I don't recall exactly but they are used because they have as constant power draw and that factor is used in setting or stabilizing part of the circuit.

Schiit provided the answer somewhere in here or the schiit happened thread.

THey are used as voltage references in current sources. I have used them as long as 40 years ago. At Theta Digital, we used red LEDs and called them "Chernobyl" circuits.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 16, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,433 of 6,472
Yeah they don't differentiate between the two on their site...did you email them?

Nope, this is for me a very basic, but important information. I'm really wondering why this is not mentioned in the specs!

Because this baby with equipped dac is a real price/performance beast if I compared to my Audio-GD NFB 10.33 with Amanero384 XMOS USB, the Schiit one offers the better choice if you look for best bag for your buck as a all-in-one- dac/amp/pre-amp solution under 600 Euro.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3,435 of 6,472
  Can you use the SE Preamp Output and Balanced Preamp Output at the same time? Or is it only one at a time?

Yes you can use them both.  They are active at the same time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back