Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 13, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #3,406 of 6,472
 ...  Easiest way to go balanced is to reterminate the cheap, stock cable with 4-XLR and it was definitely worth my time....

Hi ! sorry to jump in. Do you mean to replace the stock cable with a 4 wires cable ?  
i wonder if in the 4 pins xlr the L and R - pins are separated or the L and R channel share the same - pin like in the unbalanced connection.
I am confused about the balanced connection but very interested. 
It seems that there is a wide consensus about its superiority compared to the unbalanced one. 
Thanks a lot,   gino 

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,409 of 6,472
Hi ! sorry to jump in. Do you mean to replace the stock cable with a 4 wires cable ?  
i wonder if in the 4 pins xlr the L and R - pins are separated or the L and R channel share the same - pin like in the unbalanced connection.
I am confused about the balanced connection but very interested. 
It seems that there is a wide consensus about its superiority compared to the unbalanced one. 
Thanks a lot,   gino 

I do mean the stock cable, it has 4 wires (2 jackets, 2 lacquered wires in each). Pretty easy conversion. PM me with questions if you want, so we don't hijack the thread.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #3,410 of 6,472
New to the scene!  Over the holiday I purchased a pair of HE-400i.  I also purchased a NAD D 1050.  So far I'm happy but then I ran across the Schiit Jotunheim.  I'm looking for advice.  Should I send back the NAD D 1050 and replace it with the Schitt Jotunheim w/ DAC, replace it with the Schitt Jotunheim w/ another DAC you might suggest, or keep the NAD D 1050?  Any advice is MUCH appreciated.  I'm new and learning.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3,411 of 6,472
So far I'm happy 

You just got a new toy.  You're happy.

Live with it, and your new headphones, for a while. Learn what you like and dislike.  Learn the shotcomings.  Then, when the time comes to consider an updgrade, you'll be making an educated choice.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,414 of 6,472
I went ahead and returned the NAD D 1050.  Whether I started a youtube video or any audio what so ever there was a 2-5 second delay before I would hear anything.  I'm looking at the arcam rdac and I'm not sure if I'll use the Schitt Jotunheim amp.  I've heard lots of good things through this thread!  Appreciate it!

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,415 of 6,472
So the balanced cable for my HD 6XX arrived today, but unfortunately there's almost no audio when I use it in balanced mode (everything works fine in SE mode).  I made sure to flip the switch to balanced mode and I plugged everything in as deep as seems safe.  At first I thought there was no audio at all, but when I set it to high gain and crank Jot all the way up I can hear very faint audio playing.  Is this more likely to be an issue with the balanced output of my Jot or the cable itself, or is there something else that I should have done and didn't?

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #3,416 of 6,472
I don't think you need to flip a switch to use the balanced socket. Use the same switch position as when you were using SE

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,417 of 6,472
  So the balanced cable for my HD 6XX arrived today, but unfortunately there's almost no audio when I use it in balanced mode (everything works fine in SE mode).  I made sure to flip the switch to balanced mode and I plugged everything in as deep as seems safe.  At first I thought there was no audio at all, but when I set it to high gain and crank Jot all the way up I can hear very faint audio playing.  Is this more likely to be an issue with the balanced output of my Jot or the cable itself, or is there something else that I should have done and didn't?

There is no balanced mode, only a balanced or single ended input switch. With a SE input both the SE headphone output and the balanced output are active.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,418 of 6,472
...Oh.  >_>

Well, those were very polite ways of letting me know I'm an idiot.  Even though I had read the manual it somehow didn't sink in that the switch was only for input, even though looking at it right now it very clearly says that.  Oh well, better to be dumb than in need of replacing something.  Thanks for the help, off to listen to some music.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,419 of 6,472
  ...Oh.  >_>

Well, those were very polite ways of letting me know I'm an idiot.  Even though I had read the manual it somehow didn't sink in that the switch was only for input, even though looking at it right now it very clearly says that.  Oh well, better to be dumb than in need of replacing something.  Thanks for the help, off to listen to some music.

Enjoy!!
L3000.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,420 of 6,472
I don't think anybody was thinking you are an idiot, these hookup schemes are always a bit confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back