Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 2, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #3,256 of 6,473
Finally, before I go back to enjoying music and my glass of wine...to my ears, never heard expensive equipment, yes the BitfrostMultibit sounds the stronger dac. Stronger or more present are the only words I have to describe it, but the internal dac of the Jot will do me fine, until I get the urge to spend days researching and browsing this site  to satisfy some new juke in my head. Thanks to all for your replies

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,257 of 6,473
  Thanks everyone who posted replies. I am so amazed that so few people liked the internal jot DAC. I just unpacked the Bitfrost Multibit for another listen before I send it back tomorrow. I originally had the ModiMultibit but returned it because everytime I touched the Modi housing it would disconnect from windows until I unplugged and replugged the USB cable. Guess I have a static problem, though no such problem with my Jot or Bitfrost. Is there anyone out there who prefers the 24bit internal dac to the 16bit Modi or Bitfrost Multi?

As I've said before, I believe that the Jot / Dac would be more highly regarded and "sound better" if the price were $2500.00 instead of $500.00.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,258 of 6,473
As I've said before, I believe that the Jot / Dac would be more highly regarded and "sound better" if the price were $2500.00 instead of $500.00.

Shhhh. Don't give Schiit any ideas.

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #3,260 of 6,473
  Thanks Mr Rick...there are very few things that I feel I paid a fair price for...The wine I'm drinking, the music I'm listening to, my Brompton bicycle and the Jotunhiem with internal DAC are 4 of them..... Great product....love it

Would that Brompton took Schiit's view on pricing
cool.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #3,263 of 6,473
Interesting question. Do many people genuinely have higher bit rate files that they've bought? Most people I know (including myself) are ripping CD still, so to them I imagine not.

Serious side question - do many people buy pop / rock in high resolution?

Subgenres, like progressive rock or stoner rock, yes. I like bandcamp to do so, once you buy it offers unlimited streaming of the bands and download high resolution files. No need for labels, just the band and you.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #3,264 of 6,473

Thanks everyone who posted replies. I am so amazed that so few people liked the internal jot DAC. I just unpacked the Bitfrost Multibit for another listen before I send it back tomorrow. I originally had the ModiMultibit but returned it because everytime I touched the Modi housing it would disconnect from windows until I unplugged and replugged the USB cable. Guess I have a static problem, though no such problem with my Jot or Bitfrost. Is there anyone out there who prefers the 24bit internal dac to the 16bit Modi or Bitfrost Multi?

I've "down-sized" to just a Jotunheim with internal dac and an iPad mini 2 streaming Spotify premium. Not a bad place to slum it:

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #3,265 of 6,473
Happy with the sound but unhappy with the pre-out feature pre-out does not turn off when headphone is plugged.

Little issue with windows 10 driver but somehow works with windows 7~8 driver on windows 10

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #3,266 of 6,473
Happy with the sound but unhappy with the pre-out feature pre-out does not turn off when headphone is plugged.

Little issue with windows 10 driver but somehow works with windows 7~8 driver on windows 10

Get a Schiit Sys and use it on your output line to turn down the volume to zero or switch it to the non occupied input to silence the output.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,267 of 6,473

This has been explained a few times. When you have an XLR out, it can't sense if anything is plugged into it, as reliable switched four pin XLR sockets aren't a thing. You can't just make assumptions on the basis of the 1/4 inch jack alone, either, as that makes the behavior a bit confusing.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,268 of 6,473
Hi there,

After saving some money in 2016 I am now contemplating to seriously upgrade my headphone-rig and after sorting through a lot of options I kind of decided to go with the all-in-one dac/amp, full-(future-proof)functionality and connectivity plus fully balanced - route here. It seems to me that for the same kind of money I will not be able to get the same quality-package when going separately (e.g. a Burson Soloist sl mkii + Bimby - combo = lack of balanced-out etc...) 

So my question now is: Next to the Schiit Jotunheim, the Oppo HA-1 and also the Questyle cma600i seem VERY appealing, are the latter two worth the extra money soundquality-wise? Was anyone able to directly compare at least two of them? I am not new to the hobby and know about diminishing returns, still I need to know how noticable the SQ-difference could be and I am not able to A/B them over here in Germany anytime soon...
I would use the device with a Focal Elear and/or a Senn HD 800s.

Any opinions would be much appreciated. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3,269 of 6,473
After spending shy of $700 on a Jot and Mimby I am very disappointed to learn I need to spend another $50+ for a SYS to avoid unplugging/plugging in my Jot preamps every time I want to toggle headphones/speakers. Plus it being one more box on my desk. Schiit has the technology, they're selling the SYS which does just that with a push of a button, they just didnt include it with the Jot or Mimby. I cant help but wonder if there is a better all around option for cheaper that would power my HD650s and toggle to my powered 2.1. while I'm in my return period. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3,270 of 6,473
  After spending shy of $700 on a Jot and Mimby I am very disappointed to learn I need to spend another $50+ for a SYS to avoid unplugging/plugging in my Jot preamps every time I want to toggle headphones/speakers. Schiit has the technology, they're selling the SYS which does just that with a push of a button, they just didnt include it with the Jot or Mimby. I cant help but wonder if there is a better all around option for cheaper that would power my HD650s and toggle to my powered 2.1. while I'm in my return period. 

It's the nature of balanced topology where there's not a way to mute the preamps unlike pure SE such as Asgard 2 or Lyr 2. You also can't mute the preamps with the Mjolnir 2 due to balanced topology

Users who are viewing this thread

Back