Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,851 of 6,472
Is the DAC option on the Jot comparable to that of the one on the new Fulla 2? I intended to get the Jot with the DAC option but I might get it with the new Fulla 2 instead as it works out to be about the same.

Also, are there any pictures of the black Jot?

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,852 of 6,472
It's a Dual 4490 DAC in the Jot...assuming that makes a difference (for balanced?) or they wouldn't have done it.

from Schiit.com...

Optional Dual AK4490 DAC:
USB Input Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
D/A Conversion IC: AK4490 x 2

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,853 of 6,472
It's a Dual 4490 DAC in the Jot...assuming that makes a difference (for balanced?) or they wouldn't have done it.

from Schiit.com...

Optional Dual AK4490 DAC:
USB Input Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
D/A Conversion IC: AK4490 x 2

And at $100.00 it is a bargin...

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2,854 of 6,472
In terms of resolving capability, the amp in the Jot clearly exceeds the internal DAC. On the other hand, a Yggy (and perhaps a Gumby too) is clearly more resolving than the Jot. So I guess a Multibit Bifrost or a Multibit Modi is a good match in terms of resolution for the Jot. But of course if we pair with the more expensive DACs like Yggy, we also gain in naturalness, soundstage, precision in imaging, control, balanced-in option.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #2,855 of 6,472
Dec 8, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,856 of 6,472

And just what method did you use to determine this?

By hooking up the better DACs available, Vega, Yggy and a Master 7 to 4 amps I have tried: ECBA, SPL Phonitor, Compass 2, Jot. I heard much more details with the better amps like ECBA compared to the Jot. I heard micro details being grossed over in the Jot. By comparing the internal DAC and Vega and Yggy, feeding to the amp of the Jot, I heard much more details. I haven't heard the Gumby, but I heard from friends that the resolution is close to Yggy, so I speculate with the Gumby here. So my conclusion was the amp of the Jot was much more capable than the internal DAC, but not to the level of Yggy. And I also make assumptions that the Bimby or Mimby being more resolving than the internal DAC, which I think should be the case. To my ears, no ABXYZ tests.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,857 of 6,472
Which Schiit amp do you think is the best match for Yggdrasil?

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2,858 of 6,472

The Yggy is very very resolving, it's up to the task of all the top amps I heard. It's one detailed, natural sounding and transparent DAC, easily the best DAC below USD4K. But ironically, micro details doesn't seemed to be Schiit amps emphasis. Schiit amps are great in musicality and tonality, but average in Hifi attributes like transparency, micro detail, refinement, openness, soundstage. Probably the Ragnorak is the closest Schiit amp that can match the Yggy.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,859 of 6,472
Many who compared the Jotunheim to the ragnarok favored the Jotunheim.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #2,861 of 6,472
By hooking up the better DACs available, Vega, Yggy and a Master 7 to 4 amps I have tried: ECBA, SPL Phonitor, Compass 2, Jot. I heard much more details with the better amps like ECBA compared to the Jot. I heard micro details being grossed over in the Jot. By comparing the internal DAC and Vega and Yggy, feeding to the amp of the Jot, I heard much more details. I haven't heard the Gumby, but I heard from friends that the resolution is close to Yggy, so I speculate with the Gumby here. So my conclusion was the amp of the Jot was much more capable than the internal DAC, but not to the level of Yggy. And I also make assumptions that the Bimby or Mimby being more resolving than the internal DAC, which I think should be the case. To my ears, no ABXYZ tests.

Interesting, thanks for the detailed reply. What were your transducers?

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #2,862 of 6,472

Why are you matching to the DAC?

You should be matching the amp to your headphones.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,864 of 6,472
  how does a jotunheim compare to a magni/modi 2 (non uber) stack? i intend on getting the balanced dac and cable to use with my lcd-2s

I think you answered your own question if balanced is what you want.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #2,865 of 6,472

Interesting, thanks for the detailed reply. What were your transducers?

A pair of HD800 and LCD-X. The HD800 is my fav headphone for checking out the sonic performance of a particular gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back