Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,836 of 6,472
I would contact FedEx if I were you.

Already did (last night) they weren't very helpful, insisting that the package was actually nearby and would be delivered today, but that doesn't jive with the tracking at all.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,837 of 6,472
Have you called Schiit? They need to help at this point...

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,838 of 6,472
  Have you called Schiit? They need to help at this point...

I shot them an email earlier today, letting them know that there might be an issue brewing.

FedEx insists it will be with me today (I am skeptical) but I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and if they don't come through, and there is no further tracking clarity, I'm going to start pursuing this more seriously tomorrow.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #2,841 of 6,472
Anyone know the max output in balanced @ 200ohms?

P = I * V

You should be able to calculate a reasonable approximation by deriving from existing published stats.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,842 of 6,472

P = I * V

You should be able to calculate a reasonable approximation by deriving from existing published stats.

I tried every combination in the electricity wheel but couldn't come up with a result that was constant.  it seems like there are complicated efficiency losses in amplifiers that I couldn't account for.  In the end I just plotted it and did a trend line for him, above, in part because I too was curious.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #2,843 of 6,472
@mattlach  Your curve interpolation method is actually not a bad idea considering how the Jot is spec'ed.  Usually for a voltage amp, there is a linear relationship between rated output power and load impedance.  Obviously, some maximum voltage was not the criteria for the power spec, nor is it based on a maximum current.

Using Excel's curve fit powers I come up with P = 60.608* R^(-0.746)  Where units are Watts and ohms.  200 ohms comes out to 1.16 W.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #2,844 of 6,472
  @mattlach  Your curve interpolation method is actually not a bad idea considering how the Jot is spec'ed.  Usually for a voltage amp, there is a linear relationship between rated output power and load impedance.  Obviously, some maximum voltage was not the criteria for the power spec, nor is it based on a maximum current.

Using Excel's curve fit powers I come up with P = 60.608* R^(-0.746)  Where units are Watts and ohms.  200 ohms comes out to 1.16 W.

Yours is probably more accurate than mine.  I was interpreting the chart graphically, because I couldn't figure out where OpenOffice Calc hides the formula for best fit it uses for its trend lines.  (I was too lazy to reboot into windows just to use excel)

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #2,845 of 6,472

Yours is probably more accurate than mine.  I was interpreting the chart graphically, because I couldn't figure out where OpenOffice Calc hides the formula for best fit it uses for its trend lines.  (I was too lazy to reboot into windows just to use excel)

OpenOffice... Yeah... I feel your pain...
I added calculated voltage and current for each spec for the Jot.  Interesting.  I'd like to hear what the rational behind the ratings was.  Best THD or best THD +N perhaps?

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #2,846 of 6,472

I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy, if you bear in mind a 25% change in power is only 1dB.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2,848 of 6,472
Do i need balanced dac module upgrade so that let Jotunheim make a sound as balanced?
Having no idea of this territory, i  will set up my system as stacking of PC - wyrd - mojo - jotunheim - headphone with balanced termination.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,849 of 6,472
  Do i need balanced dac module upgrade so that let Jotunheim make a sound as balanced?
Having no idea of this territory, i  will set up my system as stacking of PC - wyrd - mojo - jotunheim - headphone with balanced termination.

Your selection input to Jot is SE, but you can plug your headphones in the 4 pin XLR output to run on balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back