Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 10, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #2,446 of 6,472
This might be a dumb question but can I hook my Fiio X5II up to the RCA connections and still be able to listen in balanced mode?  I assume I'd have to get a 3.5mm male to dual XLR connections for the X5II to be able to use the amps balance setup.  I was going to get just the amp version but I might as well spend the extra $100 for the dac as it will be better than using my X5II as a dac.

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #2,447 of 6,472
  This might be a dumb question but can I hook my Fiio X5II up to the RCA connections and still be able to listen in balanced mode?  I assume I'd have to get a 3.5mm male to dual XLR connections for the X5II to be able to use the amps balance setup.  I was going to get just the amp version but I might as well spend the extra $100 for the dac as it will be better than using my X5II as a dac.

You can go single ended in and balanced out, reportedly the performance is between single in single out and balanced in balanced out, closer to the latter (atomicbob measured and listened, on another site, I won't say which, I'm never sure who we're allowed to link on this site ...) so you just need a regular 3.5mm to RCA pair cable. Sounds good to me Bimby single ended in HD650 balanced out.

Edit: If you're a graph junkie google "jotunheim technical measurements"

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #2,448 of 6,472

atomicbob about the result of his measurements on the Jot:

The completely Balanced vs. completely Unbalanced measurements represent the two extremes in data likely to be measured on the Jotunheim. Unbalanced input with Balanced output will likely be very close but slightly worse than the completely Balanced measurements. Balanced input with Unbalanced output will likely be very close but slightly better than the complete Unbalanced measurements.

Given the likely similarity of mixed balanced / unbalanced connectivity options with the bal/bal and unbal/unbal, and the time necessary to setup, calibrate, measure, verify data, document and post data I opted to measure the extremes.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #2,450 of 6,472
One thing I appreciate of the Jotty is single ended out is quite close to balanced out, unlike a few other amps I heard that SE out is much more inferior than balanced out.

While I agree there isn't a huge difference between the Balanced and SE headphone outputs with the Jot, I do notice a slightly wider sounding soundstage and better channel separation with Balanced. The higher output via Balanced is evident so be careful!

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #2,453 of 6,472
  How good or how bad is the DAc that is optional? Realistically can someone give an honest and factual opinion? I am very confused by reading very opposite reviews... 

My conclusion out of all that mess is that the 150$ difference with the Mimby is worth the money.

But yes, how good it's on its own or compared with 100$ dacs?

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,454 of 6,472
  How good or how bad is the DAc that is optional? Realistically can someone give an honest and factual opinion? I am very confused by reading very opposite reviews... 

Built-in DAC is very good actually. I have compered it with Mojo, iFi iDAC2, Mimby and Grace m9XX that I also own and it is most similar to Grace. Also I don't think built-in DAC is worse than Mimby - it is just different. Mimby is much sharper while that built-in gives softer touch to music which is not always a bad thing.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #2,455 of 6,472
  Built-in DAC is very good actually. I have compered it with Mojo, iFi iDAC2, Mimby and Grace m9XX that I also own and it is most similar to Grace. Also I don't think built-in DAC is worse than Mimby - it is just different. Mimby is much sharper while that built-in gives softer touch to music which is not always a bad thing.

Sharper as in brighter?

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,457 of 6,472
  Sharper as more detailed (like sharp photo).

We had the same experience comparing the Jot + built in DS DAC to the Jot + Mimby: I heard noticably more detail with the Mimby, and the sound seemed less washed out.  We were primarily doing our A/B with very well recorded lossless redbook and high res content, so the additional detail was very welcome. 

The Mimby was our first (and only) multi-bit DAC experience, so we don't have much to compare against.  My buddy has just purchased the Bimby, so we're going to reconvene next week and put the Jot + built in DAC and Jot + Bimby through the gauntlet.  We'll also compare the Bimby to the Oppo HA-1 in my 2 channel setup (that is a comparison I'm really looking forward to)

All that being said, I'm delighted with the built in Jot DAC.  For $100, well worth it for the portability and reduced clutter on the desktop.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #2,458 of 6,472
  My buddy has just purchased the Bimby, so we're going to reconvene next week and put the Jot + built in DAC and Jot + Bimby through the gauntlet.  We'll also compare the Bimby to the Oppo HA-1 in my 2 channel setup (that is a comparison I'm really looking forward to)

Let us know when that happen :)

Damn, you joined Head-Fi in 2001? I've been here one month now and I have already more comments than you. Maybe I should calm down a bit...

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,459 of 6,472

It depends on your headphone. For example, for AKG702, it's good enough, for HD800s, switching from the build in DAC to a DAC of Yggy/Vega level, the improvement is substantial.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,460 of 6,472
We'll also compare the Bimby to the Oppo HA-1 in my 2 channel setup (that is a comparison I'm really looking forward to)  

Can you compare the Jot + add on DAC to the HA-1 also??  I would love to hear some comparisons, since I own the Oppo. 
 Also, has anyone done a heads up of Jot + Add on DAC and the iDSD Micro? I know the iFi isn't balanced, but still curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back