Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 31, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,221 of 6,472
  there is an "alternate driver" on the downloads page. It is version 1.03

Totally missed it on the drivers download page!!!   
blink.gif

Will give it a go as soon as I get home tonight.  Thanks Allan.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,222 of 6,472

Not true in so many ways! 

If "source quality" means "recording / mix quality", I would put that at 80% all by itself.

A crappy, compressed, bad mix on awesome gear still sounds bad.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2,223 of 6,472
Australia Sucks! Picked up the JOT for $799
if your ears are anything like mine, all i can advise is to not get your hopes up too high.
my curiosity and head-fi browsing corrupted me in to buying the JOT. and now im somewhat wishing i had my $799 back to spend on headphones instead. hahaha

Mine cost me $620 Cdn so roughly the same as my Lake People G109S shipped from Germany. Both amps are pretty equal in quality but they are slightly different in character, which I like.
The HD650'S definitely scale beautifully with the Jot. I'm keeping mine.

Check the earlier post of the guy in Australia wanting to hear the Jot. Not sure how far apart you blokes are though.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,224 of 6,472
How about using a 128kps mp3 or such vs a Flac/ DSD file ? Shouldn't that be in the"chain" somewhere? IE file quality.

to me that is a part of "source". 

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,225 of 6,472

IMHO, the breakdown of sound quality percentages for listening. This assumes good quality equipment.

source quality: 10%
cables: 1% (Monoprice cables or better)
Power Supplies: 1%
DAC: 3%
Amp: 3% (includes the benefits of balanced vs SE)
Headphone cable: 2%
Headphones: 80% *

* pads can make a significant difference

Obviously YMMV, except for very well trained and sensitive ears (youth helps), this is probably true. True audiophiles are always trying to squeeze that last 1% or less out of their system. We always head about the law of diminishing returns, and it it absolutely true. It's early easy to get to the 95% level with 500$US headphones and $500US of electronics. 

The said, the Jodie does seem to power some of my harder to drive headphones well, like the Ether C and the HD800. I haven't tried the T1 as I loaned it to ColtMrFire, but I'll get it back too. I still need to more comparison listening to draw conclusions, though, but initial impressions are unless you need more power to drive hard to drive headphones, benefits are minimal if you already have a good amp. I will also compare it to my iCan Nano, and I might bring home my 1st get Magni, but that is a lot of wiring headache. 

Thanks for the reply. It's really useful to me. I wish I would've been able to read it last week. May have sway my decision from getting a Jotunheim to getting a Modi Multibit instead (it's cheaper, and I already have SS amp).
But thank you nonetheless. It's a great info for future purchase consideration for people with limited spending budget like me.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #2,226 of 6,472
I've been using one of either an Ifi iDSD micro, a GO450 to Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, or a GOV2+, for both home/office and mobile. Would a Jotunheim be a good upgrade as either just an amp or as a DAC/amp over, or in addition, to any of these? Just got a pair of Ether Flow C headphones to go with my NAD HP 50s, and AKG K7XX.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,227 of 6,472
Depends on your source Critical. I will say that Mimby+Jot blows my Ifi iDSD out of the water. Mimby is also the better DAC, imo.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,229 of 6,472

Had the same problem with my Window 10.

Download the USB 1.03 version and it will install fine. 

Quote:
  Hey guys - I could use some technical help or pointing at the right direction.
I have finally purchased (and received) my Jot with DAC module, but I am having technical issues trying to make it work...
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on an i7 desktop (custom built).

Important to note:
Modi 2 (basic $99 model) works perfectly fine on same USB port using same USB cable.  As far as I can recall, I never installed a driver for it.

Symptom:
The DAC does not appear in the list of playback devices.

Looking at the device manager, I do see:
"Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" with yellow exclamation sign next to it.  Seems to me a driver is needed.  Looking at the driver page (http://schiit.com/drivers) - the Jot is not mentioned at all... Does not need a driver, or omission by Schiit?

Decided to give it a try anyhow - I have downloaded and tried to install:
"http://schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16.zip"

But, the install fails.  It asks me to "connect the CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device", but since it cannot find it (the Jot is plugged to the PC and turned on) - it finally (after 3 retries) say that:
"CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now".

For the fun of it - tried installing the USB Gen3 driver (for Yggy) as well.  Fails, too.  

PLEASE HELP!  

(already e-mailed Nick @ Schiit, but hopefully with the help of the good people of Head-Fi, I might resolve it quickly)

Thanks in advance!!

What do you mean by "USB 1.03 version" ?  Where did you get it from?
If you refer to the USB Gen3 driver (for Yggy) - then I already gave it a try (see my original post) with same results as Gen2 driver...  If that is a different one - please oh please share the link with me  
triportsad.gif

there is an "alternate driver" on the downloads page. It is version 1.03

I had same issue with driver not working, Jot showing orange box indicating driver problem.  My Modi 2 worked fine on same machine. I just had windows search for a driver.  Updated and worked fine after that.  Might not need to download drivers from Schiit.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,230 of 6,472
Oct 31, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,231 of 6,472
IMHO, the breakdown of sound quality percentages for listening. This assumes good quality equipment.

source quality: 10%
cables: 1% (Monoprice cables or better)
Power Supplies: 1%
DAC: 3%
Amp: 3% (includes the benefits of balanced vs SE)
Headphone cable: 2%
Headphones: 80% *

* pads can make a significant difference

Obviously YMMV, except for very well trained and sensitive ears (youth helps), this is probably true. True audiophiles are always trying to squeeze that last 1% or less out of their system. We always head about the law of diminishing returns, and it it absolutely true. It's early easy to get to the 95% level with 500$US headphones and $500US of electronics. 

The said, the Jodie does seem to power some of my harder to drive headphones well, like the Ether C and the HD800. I haven't tried the T1 as I loaned it to ColtMrFire, but I'll get it back too. I still need to more comparison listening to draw conclusions, though, but initial impressions are unless you need more power to drive hard to drive headphones, benefits are minimal if you already have a good amp. I will also compare it to my iCan Nano, and I might bring home my 1st get Magni, but that is a lot of wiring headache. 

I guess when i saw you put the source quality at only 10℅ I found it difficult to swallow what you meant.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,232 of 6,472
Sorry for causing these fights all over the place, amping seems to be a touchy subject. Maybe there's some nice head-fier who lives around the Gold Coast/Brisbane area of Australia who would let me listen to their Jot with my 650? :grin: But I have the feeling I'm all by myself in SEQ. All you guys are in Sydney and Melbourne in which case I could just walk into A2A. Sigh

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,233 of 6,472
Sorry for causing these fights all over the place, amping seems to be a touchy subject. Maybe there's some nice head-fier who lives around the Gold Coast/Brisbane area of Australia who would let me listen to their Jot with my 650? :grin: But I have the feeling I'm all by myself in SEQ. All you guys are in Sydney and Melbourne in which case I could just walk into A2A. Sigh

You're quite unlikely to hate that combo- it's unicornlicious, esp balanced. If (through some freak circumstance) you did loathe it, it'd not be a hard amp to resell, either :)

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,234 of 6,472

You're quite unlikely to hate that combo- it's unicornlicious, esp balanced. If (through some freak circumstance) you did loathe it, it'd not be a hard amp to resell, either :)

Unicornlicious... I like that haha! I don't doubt it's a great sounding amp but more just trying to figure out if a portable amp/DAC would be sufficient to drive the HD650 well enough or if I'm severely missing out on something special.

Some users say it's not that much of an upgrade but then others say it is. If I had any experience with many amps myself I could make my own decision on the subject.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #2,235 of 6,472

i dont see any fighting. although it does seem to be a touchy subject, i strongly believe that it doesnt have to be.
people who cant hear a difference (me) should appreciate that some people can, and those who can should not look down at those who cant (especially after their own substantial purchase)
... now, to solve world hunger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back