Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2,191 of 6,472
  I have the Lyr and jot and HD700's with both balanced and single ended cables.  To me there is a very subtle but positive change when changing from BAL to SE.  

I find more compare between SE with the Lyr and SE on the Jot than I do between SE and BAL on the JOt alone.

Of course YMMV, IMHO, etc etc etc... 

You think the Jot ist better than the Lyr? Which tubes are you using?

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #2,192 of 6,472
Or Jotunheim vs. 02 ODAC?

To be honest if you're deciding between the Jotunheim's built in balanced DAC module and *insert x $100~ DAC here* then I don't think you should bother giving it much thought - you'll be hard pressed to find an option that comes close for the money, it's also a waste of space to look for an equivalent external component if you can just get the built in. Just my opinion of course but the module sounds great and is balanced, I hated the ODAC when I had it and the dragonfly's DAC doesn't compare either unless you actually want the portability.

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,193 of 6,472

You think the Jot ist better than the Lyr? Which tubes are you using?

I like both for different reasons.  I would not say one is better than the other.

As far as tubes it would probably be easier to look at my profile.  I have a few...

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2,194 of 6,472
Strangely enough listening to the Jot with the MJ2 as a preamp The former is barely warm in the latter is roasting.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,196 of 6,472

Ok you have indeed.
Did you tried to use the Lyr as a preamp for the Jot? I seems to work fine with the Mjolnir.

Actually I have not.  I may play around with that on my next days off.  

I currently have my system setup running 2 DACs, 4 amps and a variety of digital and analog inputs.  This allows me to switch back and forth between any piece of equipment.  To use the Lyr as a preamp will require some interconnect changes to my current setup.  When I have a chance to give it a try I will let you know my impressions.

With the right tubes I would imagine the Lyr could warm the sound signature of the Jot... 

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #2,197 of 6,472
  Actually I have not.  I may play around with that on my next days off.  

I currently have my system setup running 2 DACs, 4 amps and a variety of digital and analog inputs.  This allows me to switch back and forth between any piece of equipment.  To use the Lyr as a preamp will require some interconnect changes to my current setup.  When I have a chance to give it a try I will let you know my impressions.

With the right tubes I would imagine the Lyr could warm the sound signature of the Jot... 

It would be great to hear about the experiment.
Thank you!

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,198 of 6,472
To be honest if you're deciding between the Jotunheim's built in balanced DAC module and *insert x $100~ DAC here* then I don't think you should bother giving it much thought - you'll be hard pressed to find an option that comes close for the money, it's also a waste of space to look for an equivalent external component if you can just get the built in. Just my opinion of course but the module sounds great and is balanced, I hated the ODAC when I had it and the dragonfly's DAC doesn't compare either unless you actually want the portability.

I had the O2 ODAC, but I sold it because my Dragonfly Red was just as good, which I use with my phone. So currently I use it for my stationary setup as well, but I am thinking that I should perhaps buy the Jotunheim. But I want to know if the Jotunheim really outperforms the Dragonfly Red, and by How much.

Using Audeze LCD-2F.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,199 of 6,472
I had the O2 ODAC, but I sold it because my Dragonfly Red was just as good, which I use with my phone. So currently I use it for my stationary setup as well, but I am thinking that I should perhaps buy the Jotunheim. But I want to know if the Jotunheim really outperforms the Dragonfly Red, and by How much.

Using Audeze LCD-2F.

I figured you were talking about DACs exclusively - if you mean the Jotunheim with DAC module as an amp+dac combo vs the dragonfly then in my opinion there is absolutely no contest but YMMV. The difference in power and prowess is abysmal to my ears, granted I only auditioned the dragonfly for a few songs but I also own latest rev LCD-2s and they sound great with the Jotun.

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,200 of 6,472

All other Schiit amps with pre outs will disable the pre outs when a headphone cable is plugged in.

This is completely incorrect.

For instance, if I plug phones into my Mjolnir 2, the pre-outs stay active.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,201 of 6,472
Hey guys, I'm considering the Jot for my HD650. I've heard that this combo through a balanced cable sounds incredible but just have a couple of questions...

Firstly I currently own a Sony UDA-1 which I like as a DAC but I think the amp section is a bit on the weak side. The only other amp/DAC I've owned to compare it to would be a Sony PHA-3 which in balanced mode with my SE846 sounded a lot better than the UDA-1. As these 2 amp/DACs are the only 2 I've heard how much of an upgrade would the Jot be for my HD650? Are we talking vastly different or subtle differences?

And second, would it be worth it to get the amp only with a multibit Modi? I'm not sure if I want to spend that much more for this combo especially if I can possibly upgrade the DAC in the Jot later. And is it still a balanced connection using RCA's to connect a Modi?

Also, do you think Schiit are likely to release a multibit DAC module for the Jot, if so what do you think the price might be?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm a bit of a noob with these things and I'm in Australia where this Schiit costs more than in the US. Cheers.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #2,202 of 6,472
Hey guys, I'm considering the Jot for my HD650. I've heard that this combo through a balanced cable sounds incredible but just have a couple of questions...

Firstly I currently own a Sony UDA-1 which I like as a DAC but I think the amp section is a bit on the weak side. The only other amp/DAC I've owned to compare it to would be a Sony PHA-3 which in balanced mode with my SE846 sounded a lot better than the UDA-1. As these 2 amp/DACs are the only 2 I've heard how much of an upgrade would the Jot be for my HD650? Are we talking vastly different or subtle differences?

And second, would it be worth it to get the amp only with a multibit Modi? I'm not sure if I want to spend that much more for this combo especially if I can possibly upgrade the DAC in the Jot later. And is it still a balanced connection using RCA's to connect a Modi?

Also, do you think Schiit are likely to release a multibit DAC module for the Jot, if so what do you think the price might be?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm a bit of a noob with these things and I'm in Australia where this Schiit costs more than in the US. Cheers.

I just got a mimby and jot and I have a UDA-1. Unless you compare the DACs side by side and A/B them, the UDA-1 is pretty good. The modi it maybe possibly a little better for jazz, but pretty indistinguishable for rock unless you have pretty damn good well trained ears. The Jodie is a much more powerful Amp. I still have a lot of listening to do, but I would not sell the UDA-1 short. There's a lot of hype and kool-aid in audiophelia that can easily suck away money and time and simple enjoyment.

If you need a speaker amp, keep the UDA-1 and use it as a DAC and use the Jodie for headphones. If you don't need a speaker amp, the jot mimby is excellent.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #2,203 of 6,472
I just got a mimby and jot and I have a UDA-1. Unless you compare the DACs side by side and A/B them, the UDA-1 is pretty good. The modi it maybe possibly a little better for jazz, but pretty indistinguishable for rock unless you have pretty damn good well trained ears. The Jodie is a much more powerful Amp. I still have a lot of listening to do, but I would not sell the UDA-1 short. There's a lot of hype and kool-aid in audiophelia that can easily suck away money and time and simple enjoyment.

If you need a speaker amp, keep the UDA-1 and use it as a DAC and use the Jodie for headphones. If you don't need a speaker amp, the jot mimby is excellent.

Thanks for the reply, glad you own and like the UDA-1 I'm just finding myself constantly wondering how much better the Jot would be as an amp. Realistically I would have to sell the UDA to buy the Jot as I'm poor at the moment but is it really "that much" of an upgrade.

But theres benefits of having the UDA (for me) I like having optical input, a remote, also the front USB port comes in handy from time to time. I don't use it for speakers though I could one day.

But this hype surrounding the 650 + Jot in balanced mode has me wondering. I wish I could just audition it but I'm nowhere near the 1 place in Aus that sells them. Sigh.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #2,204 of 6,472
Hey guys - I could use some technical help or pointing at the right direction.
I have finally purchased (and received) my Jot with DAC module, but I am having technical issues trying to make it work...
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on an i7 desktop (custom built).

Important to note:
Modi 2 (basic $99 model) works perfectly fine on same USB port using same USB cable.  As far as I can recall, I never installed a driver for it.

Symptom:
The DAC does not appear in the list of playback devices.

Looking at the device manager, I do see:
"Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" with yellow exclamation sign next to it.  Seems to me a driver is needed.  Looking at the driver page (http://schiit.com/drivers) - the Jot is not mentioned at all... Does not need a driver, or omission by Schiit?

Decided to give it a try anyhow - I have downloaded and tried to install:
"http://schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16.zip"

But, the install fails.  It asks me to "connect the CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device", but since it cannot find it (the Jot is plugged to the PC and turned on) - it finally (after 3 retries) say that:
"CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now".

For the fun of it - tried installing the USB Gen3 driver (for Yggy) as well.  Fails, too.  

PLEASE HELP!  

(already e-mailed Nick @ Schiit, but hopefully with the help of the good people of Head-Fi, I might resolve it quickly)

Thanks in advance!!

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #2,205 of 6,472
Had the same problem with my Window 10.

Download the USB 1.03 version and it will install fine. 

Quote:
  Hey guys - I could use some technical help or pointing at the right direction.
I have finally purchased (and received) my Jot with DAC module, but I am having technical issues trying to make it work...
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on an i7 desktop (custom built).

Important to note:
Modi 2 (basic $99 model) works perfectly fine on same USB port using same USB cable.  As far as I can recall, I never installed a driver for it.

Symptom:
The DAC does not appear in the list of playback devices.

Looking at the device manager, I do see:
"Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" with yellow exclamation sign next to it.  Seems to me a driver is needed.  Looking at the driver page (http://schiit.com/drivers) - the Jot is not mentioned at all... Does not need a driver, or omission by Schiit?

Decided to give it a try anyhow - I have downloaded and tried to install:
"http://schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16.zip"

But, the install fails.  It asks me to "connect the CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device", but since it cannot find it (the Jot is plugged to the PC and turned on) - it finally (after 3 retries) say that:
"CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now".

For the fun of it - tried installing the USB Gen3 driver (for Yggy) as well.  Fails, too.  

PLEASE HELP!  

(already e-mailed Nick @ Schiit, but hopefully with the help of the good people of Head-Fi, I might resolve it quickly)

Thanks in advance!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back