Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 18, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #2,041 of 6,472
You must know that overall Jodie's internal DAC is good. For 100$. BUT the main "issue" is that despite it has nice punchy, solid, thick sub-bass (40-70Hz), it has much less quantity in mid-upper bass range (80-250Hz). Yet it is very detailed with lots of nuances in that region. Thats why this DAC is nice for classic, jazz, ambient, where you don't need much of mid-upper bass presence/quantity, but u need it to be detailed and natural. Jodie's DAC is cold, delicate with trend to be natural and laid-back.
I dont use it for EDM, trip/hip-hop and cant suggest it for almost all dynamic/energy music, because you will get thin/cold sound and it wont make you dance/knock your head :). But, if u mostly listen to classic/jazz and melodic music - this DAC is allright.
IMO u should go with Jodie + Internal. U will have a very nice amp/preamp and normal dac. In the future u can buy DAP/DAC and get better SQ. 

If you mainly listen to pop, EDM, rock, loud and compressed recordings, definitely get the multibit. It'll knock your socks off on how dynamic and how much PRAT the multibit delivers with those genres. You'll be dancing and nodding in no time as soon as you hit play.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,042 of 6,472
If you mainly listen to pop, EDM, rock, loud and compressed recordings, definitely get the multibit. It'll knock your socks off on how dynamic and how much PRAT the multibit delivers with those genres. You'll be dancing and nodding in no time as soon as you hit play.

Yeah! Totally agree! Thats why i currently use iBasso DX80 as DAC. Dual CS4398 are very nice. Shpongle now sounds crazy on my KRKs! Definitely my next buy will be nice R2R DAC! 
L3000.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,044 of 6,472
Anyone else received a defective Joti?

I received a new Joti recently and found that it sounded pretty poor.  The dynamics were there but the details and image were very muddy even after a few days warm-up.  It was far worse than an old Musical Fidelity VCAN-II amp that I had lying around.  I was feeding with a Yggy and I have both high end amp/speaker rig and another amp (Musical Fidelity M1-HPAp) that made me sure that signal was absolutely clean.  Cans were HD650.

I tried both SE and balanced inputs and hi and lo gain settings.  There was a slight improvement with balanced & lo gain but the result was still completely unacceptable.  Needless to say I sent it back.

Based on other comments about this amp I must of received a lemon.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,045 of 6,472

I received a new Joti recently and found that it sounded pretty poor.  The dynamics were there but the details and image were very muddy even after a few days warm-up.  It was far worse than an old Musical Fidelity VCAN-II amp that I had lying around.  I was feeding with a Yggy and I have both high end amp/speaker rig and another amp (Musical Fidelity M1-HPAp) that made me sure that signal was absolutely clean.  Cans were HD650.

I tried both SE and balanced inputs and hi and lo gain settings.  There was a slight improvement with balanced & lo gain but the result was still completely unacceptable.  Needless to say I sent it back.

Based on other comments about this amp I must of received a lemon.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hopefully you informed Schiit that you suspected it was defective when you returned it. In my experience, their customer service is excellent. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,046 of 6,472
  Hopefully you informed Schiit that you suspected it was defective when you returned it. In my experience, their customer service is excellent. 

Indeed I did in both my request for and RMA and in a note in the box with the unit.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,047 of 6,472

Indeed I did in both my request for and RMA and in a note in the box with the unit.

Please post a follow up impression after it gets returned, would be curious to know if / what the issue was. Did you make a note of the serial number?

My unit has been turning in solid all around performance since I got it.

Thanks

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,048 of 6,472

Please post a follow up impression after it gets returned, would be curious to know if / what the issue was. Did you make a note of the serial number?

My unit has been turning in solid all around performance since I got it.

Thanks

I thought of noting the serial number too late (doh!).  If a replacement comes back, I will definitely note my impressions.  

What I was hoping for was that the Joti would give my MF M1-HPAp a run for the money.  The MF is a standard discrete class-A design and so has lots of detail but so-so dynamics.  Thanks.

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,049 of 6,472

My Yggy + Jot + HD650 has sounded fantastic to my ears since I got the new Schiit in.
Sorry to hear about your unit.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,050 of 6,472

Thanks for the info, very helpful!

Yeah I do listen to EDM so that really has me thinking... is the downgrade in amp worth the trade off though?

But I don't just listen to EDM, also classical and folk.

There is also the possibility that Schiit will magically make a multibit dac for the Jot one day....

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,051 of 6,472
An Asgard 2 won't bottleneck the Multibit that much. If you're looking for a good amp within your budget. In fact, I still use the Asgard 2 as preamp for my speakers. All of the multibit goodness are well resolved through the Asgard 2 as well as the Class AB amp that's built-in to my active speakers.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,052 of 6,472

Thanks for the info, very helpful!

Yeah I do listen to EDM so that really has me thinking... is the downgrade in amp worth the trade off though?

But I don't just listen to EDM, also classical and folk.

There is also the possibility that Schiit will magically make a multibit dac for the Jot one day....

Get the Joti with the internal DAC and if Schiit ever makes a multibit card for it, you can upgrade. Or save up and get a Gumby/Yggy and pair it with the Joti! :)

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,055 of 6,472
I believe this was touched on earlier but not revisited:
Is there good reason to get a Jot and use Mjolnir 2 with great tubes as a pre-amp? Perhaps not long term but it is very tempting to check out.
I wonder how it would compare to MJ2 alone (has anybody tried)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back