Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 30, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #331 of 6,472
  It's probably really close to the Modi 2 Uber (it uses the same akm4490 chip). From my brief listening experience, I didn't not like it.
I don't really want to give impressions of the dac, because I don't own dacs of similar performance to compare. 

People don't want to hear how my Yggdrasil and Master 7 crush it, that's just a given.

EDIT: I'll add one thing, if you want an amp/dac combo solution, and you don't already have a standalone dac, the akm4490 module will not disappoint.
It meshes well with the performance of the amp. If I was someone like @bclark8923 I would get the amp only version, at $399.

I see three reasons to get the dac module.
#1 You don't own a standalone dac.
#2 You want a smaller footprint on your desk.
#3 Secondary audio chain. 

For me it's #3. 
I bought it for work/travel, I got the dac module for convenience.
This is the type of product you could take on road trips using an inverter, hifi on the road!
Easily fits in any carry on luggage. Compact for work desks. Great range (10ohm IEM to 300ohm hd800 and beyond) 

This is really an all-in-one "good enough" hifi product for people that want to buy something, and just enjoy music.
If you have "upgraditis" this is the type of product that will quickly shuffle its way into the closet. 

Thank you very much for your detailed and honest feedback!!  Looks like I will be more of Modi MB + Magni Uber type of person because I always have an upgraditis.  :) 

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #332 of 6,472
  It's probably really close to the Modi 2 Uber (it uses the same akm4490 chip). From my brief listening experience, I didn't not like it.
I don't really want to give impressions of the dac, because I don't own dacs of similar performance to compare. 

I see three reasons to get the dac module.
#1 You don't own a standalone dac.
#2 You want a smaller footprint on your desk.
#3 Secondary audio chain. 

If you have "upgraditis" this is the type of product that will quickly shuffle its way into the closet. 

For me I had a reason 4, for my desktop rigs, I wanted the DAC as a backup, just in case my main DAC needed repair or quit working or what not. It's nice to know there's a backup. As far as it ending up in the closet, I think for me, it won't, because it will be a balanced volume control for my desktop rigs. I love how I could plug a gumby or a yggy into it and balanced. Gosh, I bet that would sound really good! As far as a headphone amp, I think for my main headphone rig, I'll eventually look into a ragnarok, or an amp in that range. But for my desktops I really think this little unit will get a lot of use. I would imagine as time goes by, they'll figure out how to stuff a multibit DAC into it as well, but again, that's not why I'm buying it. The DAC will only be an "insurance policy" for me. Keep things up and running in case of disaster happening to the main DAC, whether it ends up being gumby, yggy or some other kind of DAC. Pretty cool little unit really. The thing that sold me on it, is that it's balanced. It's also cool single ended equipment can be plugged into it too of course.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #333 of 6,472
Just to be clear about Schiit's SS offerings, the only Schiit tube amp that cannot be used as SS via their LISST tubes is the Valhalla 2. The Vali 2, Lyr 2, and Mjolnir 2 can all run as fully solid state amps using LISST (although in the case of the Vali 2 Schiit recommends buying a Magni 2U because it's cheaper and more powerful as an SS amp).

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #334 of 6,472
Well, I for one am very interested in the Jot.

For starters, the fact that it can be used fully balanced or single ended, in any configuration you may have (balanced DAC and SE 'phones or vice versa). Secondly, it is being reported to work well with sensitive IEMs, Senn HD-800, and the HE-6! In that light, I am sure it will work well with pretty much anything in between as well. That's pretty remarkable in my book.

The HD-800 and HE-6 are known to be 'phones that almost require a dedicated setup for each of them. Sure, there may be better options for each of these applications, but then you would probably need 3 separate amps to do so. When you are on a serious budget (as I am), this product is essentially what I have been dreaming of since discovering this forum!

I do not have any balanced 'phones currently, but I believe the Senn HD-650 can be made balanced fairly easily. (Maybe just a cable swap?)
I would love to give balanced headphones a go. A versatile amp like this makes upgrading headphones a better experience IMO, as you have now opened yourself up to be able to buy ANYTHING you want (less Stax and the like). 

Having not heard the Jot, I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that the built in DAC would be the limiting factor. I will be very interested to see the reports of this amp with the likes of Chord Mojo & Dave, Schiits own multi-bit DACs, Audio G-D Master 11 (although I have read the M11 has an amazing headphone amp as well as DAC section), and other well regarded DACs.

As of right now, I do plan to purchase a Jot when the funds are available. Mine would be an amp only purchase, as I already have a MC/MM phono pre in my Emotiva XSP-1, and a balanced delta sigma DAC with my Emotiva DC-1.

But first, I plan to get a Schiit multi-bit DAC to use with my current Vali 2 amp! Most likely just a Mimby to begin with, but I can always go up from there if the multi-bit design is my thing.

Lastly, the fact that this amp is an all new amplifier topology that reportedly measures better than any of Schiits other amps for $400...well that's nearly a "no brainer" for someone in my position.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #335 of 6,472

That's a perfectly fine question.

DSD material can play back on a non-DSD DAC given the right playback software. Apps like JRiver and Audirvana include support for converting from DSD to 24-bit 88.2KHz PCM. The piece of software which makes this work is called a sample rate converter or 'SRC'; iZotope is the brand name for a well-regarded SRC.

So: you set up your software, choose a DSD track to play, and the DAC receives 24/88 audio. 

Great detailed explanation and thank you!

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #336 of 6,472
  Well, I for one am very interested in the Jot.

For starters, the fact that it can be used fully balanced or single ended, in any configuration you may have (balanced DAC and SE 'phones or vice versa). Secondly, it is being reported to work well with sensitive IEMs, Senn HD-800, and the HE-6! In that light, I am sure it will work well with pretty much anything in between as well. That's pretty remarkable in my book.

The HD-800 and HE-6 are known to be 'phones that almost require a dedicated setup for each of them. Sure, there may be better options for each of these applications, but then you would probably need 3 separate amps to do so. When you are on a serious budget (as I am), this product is essentially what I have been dreaming of since discovering this forum!

I do not have any balanced 'phones currently, but I believe the Senn HD-650 can be made balanced fairly easily. (Maybe just a cable swap?)
I would love to give balanced headphones a go. A versatile amp like this makes upgrading headphones a better experience IMO, as you have now opened yourself up to be able to buy ANYTHING you want (less Stax and the like). 

Having not heard the Jot, I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that the built in DAC would be the limiting factor. I will be very interested to see the reports of this amp with the likes of Chord Mojo & Dave, Schiits own multi-bit DACs, Audio G-D Master 11 (although I have read the M11 has an amazing headphone amp as well as DAC section), and other well regarded DACs.

As of right now, I do plan to purchase a Jot when the funds are available. Mine would be an amp only purchase, as I already have a MC/MM phono pre in my Emotiva XSP-1, and a balanced delta sigma DAC with my Emotiva DC-1.

But first, I plan to get a Schiit multi-bit DAC to use with my current Vali 2 amp! Most likely just a Mimby to begin with, but I can always go up from there if the multi-bit design is my thing.

Lastly, the fact that this amp is an all new amplifier topology that reportedly measures better than any of Schiits other amps for $400...well that's nearly a "no brainer" for someone in my position.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is almost exactly where I am at with this amp. I'm getting the Modi Multi-bit DAC first, and then this if  a simple cable swap works for my HE-500 cans (similar to your 600s). It just seems like a really great deal for that kind of  U.S. made power.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #337 of 6,472
  I am really thinking about selling my Parasound Zdac V2,and return the Magni 2U i just ordered for the Jotunheim.I really wanted an all-in-one unit use my LSR305s and the Purplehearts,but ultimately decided on a separate units.And having a great Dac,a balanced pre outs and a very good amp in one is definetly tempting.I will have to see if i like the sound of the Magni fed from the Parasound first though.And i am wondering also,if the 15 day return policy applies if i bought my Schiit from schiit-europe?

Please let me know if you have a chance to compare the Zdac v.2 and the Jotunheim. I see the two as pretty comparable, and aimed (roughly) at the same market. I have a Zdac v.2 and am pretty happy with it, but I am curious whether the Jotunheim is a worthwhile upgrade, mostly to try the balanced output with my HD-650s. Potentially, the Jotunheim DAC and amp could both outperform the Parasound (it sounds like the amp clearly does).

I do wish the Jotunheim muted the pre-amp outputs when headphones are plugged in; I think that's a poor design decision since the most common use case (by far) would be to mute.

The Zdac has a back panel switch for fixed/variable pre-amp output, again, seems like a no-brainer. Also, I wish the Jotunheim DAC supported optical Toslink since I prefer the electrical isolation it provides--I once blew up a MacBook mother board due to an electrical malfunction involving a USB DAC--but USB only isn't a deal breaker for me.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #338 of 6,472
This is almost exactly where I am at with this amp. I'm getting the Modi Multi-bit DAC first, and then this if  a simple cable swap works for my HE-500 cans (similar to your 600s). It just seems like a really great deal for that kind of  U.S. made power.

A cable swap is all that is needed - I run my HE-500s, HD800s, and others using balanced cables. The same should be true for the Senn HD600/650s.

My Jot should be here Friday. I will probably hook it up to my Gumby first and then eventually move it for use at one of my work stations. I purchased the DAC module more out of curiosity than anything. I will more than likely use an external DAC with it at most times.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #339 of 6,472
Should I plug in the headphone XLR and then turn it on, or turn it on then plug in the headphone XLR? Also I read that the volume knob clicks it in a sort of standby at the lowest volume? Is that true?

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #340 of 6,472
Schiit, I got myself a Bimby not long ago, and now it turns out I could get a Balanced DAC/AMP for 400 bucks.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #341 of 6,472
  Schiit, I got myself a Bimby not long ago, and now it turns out I could get a Balanced DAC/AMP for 400 bucks.

Well, with the DAC module, it's actually $499, so it's $100 more than the Bifrost, while the Bimby runs $599. To many, they would rather pay for the Bimby as it's multibit. The case for buying a normal Bifrost though, is less clear.
  Should I plug in the headphone XLR and then turn it on, or turn it on then plug in the headphone XLR? Also I read that the volume knob clicks it in a sort of standby at the lowest volume? Is that true?

It's good practice to plug in your headphones AFTER you've switched on your amp.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #343 of 6,472

I also have a Bimby. I bought the Jotunheim w/o DAC and will use the Bimby as my multibit DAC and my Emotiva DC-1 as my balanced D/S DAC.

Had been looking at balanced amps and this is easily the best deal.  I looked at the Violectric 181, LC, Senn HDVA600 and Bryston BHA.  They are 2 or 3 times the price of the Joti.

I cannot wait til Friday...

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #344 of 6,472
Well, I was considering the jotunheim just because its balanced but honestly Im happy with the bimbi/asgard so probably no reason to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back