Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #301 of 6,472
Apologies, deleted.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #302 of 6,472
Dear Jude & Everyone interested,

I just checked Ebay for Hifiman HE-6, a few are for sale, some look like NEW old stock.  Prices range from around $600 to around $800 US.

The Jot. sells for $500.

Combined price for a Jot./HE-6  could be from $1,100 to $1,300.  

Question:   

Would a fresh Focal Elear be the more interesting option?

Tony in Michigan

ps.  MM phono Cartridges never were considered "Audiophile" level.  (  I was a MC phono collector, so I'm (very) biased -- Koetsu was King of phono cartridges ) and a very good step-up transformer or MC step-up Amp is quite pricy. ( $500 - $3,000 ) 

ps.2   Schiit don't seem to be promising other plug-in options unlike Chord who promise a range of stuff for the Chord Mojo.

ps.3  a personal 'inside' note :   One of my daughters own a Honda Van identical to your's,  I was waiting for her when I saw you driving by and though you were driving her Van ( for some reason ), you even waved as you drove by.  Imagine how puzzled I was! :)

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #303 of 6,472
OK, so this may be a stupid question and is not solely related to ****t but if a DAC does not support DSD will it still play? Does it scale it down automatically to what it does play? Sorry if that's an ignorant question...

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #304 of 6,472
OK, so this may be a stupid question and is not solely related to ****t but if a DAC does not support DSD will it still play? Does it scale it down automatically to what it does play? Sorry if that's an ignorant question...

I suppose it depends on your software. I use Audirvana which can scale dsd down.

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #305 of 6,472
PREFACE: responding to a question about enabling DSD playback does *not* open the door to a DSD vs. PCM flame war.

Quote:

That's a perfectly fine question.

DSD material can play back on a non-DSD DAC given the right playback software. Apps like JRiver and Audirvana include support for converting from DSD to 24-bit 88.2KHz PCM. The piece of software which makes this work is called a sample rate converter or 'SRC'; iZotope is the brand name for a well-regarded SRC.

So: you set up your software, choose a DSD track to play, and the DAC receives 24/88 audio. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #306 of 6,472

Mr. BLacklwf,

Well, can we at least discuss the Virgin Birth of Curriwong or Headfi in general? 

DSD died on the Cross of 16/44.1, do some believe it has 'Risen'?  All this stuff sounds like a new religion getting born.  ( perhaps again ) 

We need some old geezer ( like me ) to go to the Desert and receive a Vision ( like I just had after lunch, chocolate gelato ) 

When I become President, I'll ban DSD!    All y'all will have me to thank.

Tony in Michigan

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #310 of 6,472
  Just got it, ready to go through the paces. Going to try it with Yggy / Master 7. Going to try lcd3 and hd800 trs + balanced.
I bought it with the 4490 dac module, going to give that a try too.

Looking forward to impressions of Jotun with Yggy. I have a feeling the inbuilt DAC is a limiting factor 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #311 of 6,472
Looking forward to impressions of Jotun with Yggy. I have a feeling the inbuilt DAC is a limiting factor :rolleyes:

Consider me interested as well. Looking to upgrade my HD600 to balanced. (Now rocking a modi2u + vali2)

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #312 of 6,472
ps.  MM phono Cartridges never were considered "Audiophile" level.  (  I was a MC phono collector, so I'm (very) biased -- Koetsu was King of phono cartridges ) and a very good step-up transformer or MC step-up Amp is quite pricy. ( $500 - $3,000 )  

'Parks Audio' makes an excellent SUT, using Cinemag  transformers: two gain settings, very quiet, made in U.S., fantastic pre/after sale service, for $330. Would make a nice addition for any low output phono pre, and even comes with an RCA cable (-:. They also build one with more refined Cinemag transformers ($500), but that might be overkill for a $100 phono stage. I'd suggest a Denon DL-103/103r as a great, low cost MC cart if one decides to go this route. No affiliation, blah blah blah.

http://parksaudiollc.com/budgiesut.html

You could also purchase the Cinemags and DIY, lots of schematics/tutorials on the web, but be aware of the possibility of ground loops and hum, and how much it sucks chasing those issues down.

Saying all that, there are many musical and resolving MM carts that are easily "Audiophile level",and would pair well with this little Schiit unit. It's unlikely anyone is going to use their Koetsu...

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #314 of 6,472

Mr. BLacklwf,

Well, can we at least discuss the Virgin Birth of Curriwong or Headfi in general? 

DSD died on the Cross of 16/44.1, do some believe it has 'Risen'?  All this stuff sounds like a new religion getting born.  ( perhaps again ) 

We need some old geezer ( like me ) to go to the Desert and receive a Vision ( like I just had after lunch, chocolate gelato ) 

When I become President, I'll ban DSD!    All y'all will have me to thank.

Tony in Michigan

DSD has risen!  Looking forward to the day you make President!!  
beyersmile.png

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #315 of 6,472

Looking forward to impressions of Jotun with Yggy. I have a feeling the inbuilt DAC is a limiting factor 
rolleyes.gif

Right off the bat I'm noticing something quite odd. I wanted to test Jude's claim of zero IEM noise.

I have a Dunu Titan 3 (32ohm) and Dunu dn1000 (10ohm).

The results I'm getting, persist with both XLR or SE input, both low and high gain settings.
The gain noise is zero up until 2/3 into the volume knob, but if you go the last 15%, gain noise goes away!! I'm not sure how that even works.....

Here's an image that kinda illustrates what I mean (black = zero noise) (red = gain noise):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back