Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 30, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #286 of 6,469
Every time someone mentions DSD in this thread.. Mike M. kills a $30 multibit DAC that's fully differential, fits in your pocket, and achieves 95% of the Yggy's SQ.

So... keep it up, dummies.

For real though.. screw DSD.  What a waste of time.  You DSD fanboys have an assload of whiz-bang DSD DACs to chase down these days, right?  The rest of us can enjoy 'pedestrian' FLAC catalogues and whatnot on sweet sounding Schiit MB while you're adding another HDD to your NAS so you can store ten albums.  That's all I'll say about that.

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #287 of 6,469
Every time someone mentions DSD in this thread.. Mike M. kills a $30 multibit DAC that's fully differential, fits in your pocket, and achieves 95% of the Yggy's SQ.

So... keep it up, dummies.

For real though.. screw DSD.  What a waste of time.  You DSD fanboys have an assload of whiz-bang DSD DACs to chase down these days, right?  The rest of us can enjoy 'pedestrian' FLAC catalogues and whatnot on sweet sounding Schiit MB while you're adding another HDD to your NAS so you can store ten albums.  That's all I'll say about that.

I'd suggest you actually give DSD a go before calling people dummies for wanting this feature. The difference between a 16/44.1 and a 24/192 digital file is remarkably indistinguishable yet just about every dac out there offers 24/192. There is a greater difference in SQ between 24 bit files and DSD. It sounds more analogue but obviously some can't tell any difference, hell, some people can't tell the difference between an iTunes MP3 and a flac file. This doesn't mean the difference isn't there. And with hdd space getting cheaper the file sizes aren't really of much concern. Before you pass judgement I suggest listening to something like Hotel California in DSD with a pair of proper headphones like the HD800.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #288 of 6,469

Are you holding out hope that Schiit will change their minds?

I am probably doubly delusional that:

1. I can appreciate meaningful difference between DSD and 24 Bit FLAC (through my iDSD Micro)
2. That Schiit may change their minds with the Joty DAC module AK4490 chip implementation.

Well I don't think you're delusional at all. DSD DACs definitely sound different, and in a very noticeable way. There are some great recordings available in the format, too, though many have since been released in PCM as well.

Honestly, though, with good sample conversion DSD recordings can sound great on a PCM DAC. Not the same, of course... if you're wed to the signature filtered sound of DSD, then stick with that. But if you haven't tried it yet, give iZotope's DSD->PCM a whirl. I spin SACD ISOs on a Yggy all the time and they sound fantastic.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #289 of 6,469
I'd suggest you actually give DSD a go before calling people dummies for wanting this feature. The difference between a 16/44.1 and a 24/192 digital file is remarkably indistinguishable yet just about every dac out there offers 24/192. There is a greater difference in SQ between 24 bit files and DSD. It sounds more analogue but obviously some can't tell any difference, hell, some people can't tell the difference between an iTunes MP3 and a flac file. This doesn't mean the difference isn't there. And with hdd space getting cheaper the file sizes aren't really of much concern. Before you pass judgement I suggest listening to something like Hotel California in DSD with a pair of proper headphones like the HD800.

I've given DSD plenty of spin.. on plenty of nice gear.. it's just not worth. the. hassle, IME.  I can tell the difference between lossy & lossless rips.  I've owned the HD800 three times.. and heard it off plenty of great rigs.. so I know what it's capable of resolving.

Also.. Schiit's made their very well-reasoned position on DSD very very clear.. why are DSD fanboys still asking?

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #290 of 6,469
This unit is a strong competitor to Cayin iDac-6/IHA-6 stack, which runs about $1300 from China.
Both use AKM4490 for DAC, IHA-6 has more power.
I am looking where to get Cayin iha-6, and then I see this Schiit new product coming.
I wonder why Schiit don't provide detailed of feature on the DAC using AKM4490 shoould be DSD capable.
But why not detail?  Is Sciit planning to lock it and ask for fee to unlock the capability?  I remember there is
a DAC doing this, don't recall which one.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #291 of 6,469
Any ODAC O2 owners planning to upgrade to this one? :) Based on the video review this sound so tempting especially when I'm planning to upgrade my HD650s to T1 Gen 2s or HD800s at some point. :)

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #292 of 6,469
  This unit is a strong competitor to Cayin iDac-6/IHA-6 stack, which runs about $1300 from China.
Both use AKM4490 for DAC, IHA-6 has more power.
I am looking where to get Cayin iha-6, and then I see this Schiit new product coming.
I wonder why Schiit don't provide detailed of feature on the DAC using AKM4490 shoould be DSD capable.
But why not detail?  Is Sciit planning to lock it and ask for fee to unlock the capability?  I remember there is
a DAC doing this, don't recall which one.

Schiit has said repeatedly that they are not going to cater to DSD because it has such a tiny marketshare. None of their DACs handle DSD. And Schiit is absolutely not the type of company to purposefully hold back features from their products to make people pay for them later.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #295 of 6,469

I did a calculation just for schiits and giggles once to figure out what it would take if it was even possible to upgrade my entire music collection to DSD. Right around 40TB. So yeah, space matters for the time being. Now, as an occasional dalliance it's fine, but if it ever blows up, serious music collectors will need 120TB devoted solely to music (if you don't have two back ups you have zero backups).

Now as to the sonic benefits, I don't think this is the place for a FLAC vs DSD flame war. Schiit is philosophically opposed to DSD and that's probably all that needs to be said here unless it's confirmed the joty will do DSD.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #296 of 6,469
Things are so much easier for those of us focusing on just the amp or the amp + phono stage.

Uh, you've never seen vinyl audiophiles argue about whether double sided vinyl is an abomination? I once saw a vinyl audiophile claim he wanted to rip his eardrums out because he was forced to listen to a turntable setup in a room with air conditioning that was blowing vaguely in the direction of the turntable.

Things are easier when you focus on enjoying the music. They can get silly in a hurry when you delve into the finer points of any format.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #297 of 6,469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back