Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 7, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,646 of 6,469
  For those who bought with the DAC addon, do you find that the 32-bit at 88.2kHz sounds much better than at 16-bit 176.4kHz?
At first I was trying out 16-bit 176.4kHz and it sounds like poo to my ears, it just sounds kinda coarse. I was surprised that changing to 32-bit at 88.2kHz the sound becomes much more refined.

Also I do not know why the 32-bit sounds a lot softer. I think this option may have problem with cans needing alot of juice.

Would you mind telling me where to have this config changed?

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #3,648 of 6,469
  Spending more time with my new Jotunheim, I'll must say the optional DAC is no slouch.

I connected my Chord Mojo to the Jot's inputs, adjusted the level to match the internal DAC, and drove them both simultaneously from two separate computers running Audirvana.  I was able to play the same tracks, and switch back and forth between the two DACs.  Though at times I thought maybe the Mojo revealed a little more detail, it was very hard to say with certainty after switching back to the Jot.  As I quickly switched between the two, it was easy to forget which DAC I was listening to.  BTW, I was using the HD650 for the comparison, since I know its sound very well.

I'd still like to get a Bimby some day, but space is limited (due to my Jot being on a shelf with limited height), so the internal DAC should hold me over for a while until curiosity gets the best of me.

I did a similar test but changing the subject of chord mojo to B&O hifi plus, which is running the ES9028. By flipping the input switch all the way up and down I can switch back and forth between the Jot internal DAC (AKM4990) and the ES9028. I really can not tell any difference...
Maybe both are top-end D/S DAC, and I do not have a pair of golden ear.... Really curious on whether can I hear the difference if switching to a MB DAC.... ha... Maybe this is a good news to me coz I can save a lot of money...

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,651 of 6,469
   I see you have the LCD-XC. How it pairs with the Jot?

Really really well, never bright, very excellent bass and way more power and damping than the XC needs.
I love running balanced cables to take full advantage and to me it sounds a lot better than SE. It is SS endgame in my humble opinion, to go with a closed can possible end game.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #3,652 of 6,469

Really really well, never bright, very excellent bass and way more power and damping than the XC needs.
I love running balanced cables to take full advantage and to me it sounds a lot better than SE. It is SS endgame in my humble opinion, to go with a closed can possible end game.

I'm waiting for my X to come, being that efficient the Jot might be overkill. I don't want to make the X brighter in any case.

Do you prefer MJ2 tubes or SS with XC?

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,653 of 6,469

I'm waiting for my X to come, being that efficient the Jot might be overkill. I don't want to make the X brighter in any case.

Do you prefer MJ2 tubes or SS with XC?

I think I may prefer the Jot. I have a lot of very nice tubes too but the Jot has a darker floor and I love that. Honestly it's so good it's hard to tell the difference. And I have to say I vastly prefer the Jot over LISST tubes.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #3,654 of 6,469
  Yes, in fact the list price of jot is very competitive. 
I have forgotten to mention I faced some difficulties during driver installation. I have D/L the Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16.zip and followed the instruction for WIN7 installation. However, it always prompt me to re-plugin the Jot and after 3 trials, the installation terminated. I had to use another file Schiit_USB_1_03.zip and finally got the driver installed. I didn't install the schiit_asio_1_01.zip but it seems that the Schiit_USB_1_03 already bundled the ASIO driver, as I can see a new ASIO for C-Media USB driver in foobar2000.
However, if I use this ASIO driver in foobar2000 with my jot dac, sometimes I can hear a very short audio skipping, or a very short "pop" sound impluse. Maybe once per track. If I switch back to the DS driver for schiit gen2 (I guess it stands for direct sound for win7). No audio skipping at all. Anyone encountered this problem?

I ran into that problem installing drivers until I read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv/3120#post_13103026

Maybe that will help the popping?

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,656 of 6,469
  I ran into that problem installing drivers until I read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv/3120#post_13103026

Maybe that will help the popping?

My current PC is running Win7 and if I am not using the ASIO as output, no popping heard. It only happen when I switched to ASIO output.
By the way, I have a ASUS notebook running Win10 and just encountered the same problem as your link mentioned. I try to follow the instructions and the driver can be installed. However I can not find the ASIO driver for Win10 so I can not test the popping issue in Win10. Anyway, since Jot's internal DAC does not support native DSD, I think ASIO output mode isn't that useful actually.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #3,657 of 6,469
Aloha Peeps!

Another couple of weeks and I will have the funds to order my first piece of decent audio equipment dor headphones, ever!

A couple questions if you would all be so kind...

I am struggling with either going for the Jot and the internal DAC or go for a Modi DAC option instead. This will be a long investment as am at my desk constantly with music playing so I would prefer to get it right. So go with the Modi combination or the all in one Jot? If with the Modi, which version? Will I hear through my various headphones a difference with the different Modi options? Better connectivity?

Lastly, I have been looking at Bluetooth units (AptX minimum requirement) that receive, transmit or both amd wondered if this unit could be connected to the Jot or if required the Jot Modi combination? Just a thought!

Appreciate any and all advice!

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #3,658 of 6,469
I want to connect a turntable to Jotunheim. I use Rega ELYS 2 and ORTOFON 2M Red cartridges. I choose between Schiit Mani and internal Jotunheim Phono module.

I need advise which one is better.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #3,659 of 6,469
  My current PC is running Win7 and if I am not using the ASIO as output, no popping heard. It only happen when I switched to ASIO output.
By the way, I have a ASUS notebook running Win10 and just encountered the same problem as your link mentioned. I try to follow the instructions and the driver can be installed. However I can not find the ASIO driver for Win10 so I can not test the popping issue in Win10. Anyway, since Jot's internal DAC does not support native DSD, I think ASIO output mode isn't that useful actually.

ASIO popping is typically a sign of your buffer being set too low; you may want to check that setting (it's either in your player or the ASIO driver itself, having not used the Schiit driver I couldn't say for sure where it is).

This is a frequent issue with virtual instruments, where buffer sizes can make big differences in playability. For music playback a few extra milliseconds of buffering make no difference.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #3,660 of 6,469
I am struggling with either going for the Jot and the internal DAC or go for a Modi DAC option instead. This will be a long investment as am at my desk constantly with music playing so I would prefer to get it right. So go with the Modi combination or the all in one Jot? If with the Modi, which version? Will I hear through my various headphones a difference with the different Modi options? Better connectivity?

Only the Modi Multibit would be a worthy upgrade - but it's $150 more than the Jot's internal DAC.  Here's how I would decide:

- If you don't mind having the extra clutter of a second device, and it's worth spending the extra $150 for a small increase in sound quality, get the Modi Multibit.

- If you'd rather have a single device, save $150, and have a darn good sounding DAC, get the internal DAC.  You can always buy the Multibit later if you change you mind.  Personally, I found the built-in DAC as good as the Chord Mojo, which is a highly regarded DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back