Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 29, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,701 of 6,472
  can anyone compare running their HD650 out of the SE and then Balanced output? Curious to know how the 350mW vs 900mW compares...

User Ancipital posted an excellent review of the Jot with the HD 650 and Mimby and had this to say about SE vs balanced on the HD 650:

"I swapped the cable for the balanced one, and buckled up slightly apprehensively. Logically, I wasn't expecting a huge difference- but I was hoping for something, and preferably something positive. Oddly, that wasn't a bad guess. The difference with balanced isn't, as some excitable souls like to claim (about nearly everything) "night and day". However, it's noticeable- a general increase in fine detail across the board. Sharp transients were the main beneficiary. The xylophones low in the mix in Bowie's "Word On the Wing" are a good example. They sound clear and pleasant on the Jotunheim/HD650 in general, but the percussive attack of the sound is more pronounced when you're going balanced. It's a small difference but worth having for the price of a cable with the right termination."

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #2,702 of 6,472
I found an increase in SQ in many different ways.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #2,703 of 6,472
Many balanced amps I heard, low end and high end, the SE output being mediocre. The Jot SE output is comparable to the balanced out, which I think is Jot's strength. Of course the slight improvement with separation, air, control still easily noticeable with the balanced output.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,704 of 6,472
Many balanced amps I heard, low end and high end, the SE output being mediocre. The Jot SE output is comparable to the balanced out, which I think is Jot's strength. Of course the slight improvement with separation, air, control still easily noticeable with the balanced output.

Is there still a benefit to the Jot's balanced HP output if the incoming source is single-ended?  Thanks.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,705 of 6,472

Is there still a benefit to the Jot's balanced HP output if the incoming source is single-ended?  Thanks.

Absolutely. Double the slew rate and power, so more driver control on headphones that can sound a little sluggish on lesser amps. The Jot's SE out is very nice, but you get a surprising little upgrade from going balanced out, to staging, speed, instrument separation etc.

It's not the fabled "night and day" but totally worth having for the cost of a spare cable to reterminate. Heck, you can just reterminate to 4 pin XLR and use a 4 pin XLR to SE 1/4 inch jack adaptor for your SE-only amps if you have some, and get by just fine with the one cable.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,706 of 6,472

User Ancipital posted an excellent review of the Jot with the HD 650 and Mimby and had this to say about SE vs balanced on the HD 650:

"I swapped the cable for the balanced one, and buckled up slightly apprehensively. Logically, I wasn't expecting a huge difference- but I was hoping for something, and preferably something positive. Oddly, that wasn't a bad guess. The difference with balanced isn't, as some excitable souls like to claim (about nearly everything) "night and day". However, it's noticeable- a general increase in fine detail across the board. Sharp transients were the main beneficiary. The xylophones low in the mix in Bowie's "Word On the Wing" are a good example. They sound clear and pleasant on the Jotunheim/HD650 in general, but the percussive attack of the sound is more pronounced when you're going balanced. It's a small difference but worth having for the price of a cable with the right termination."

About what I would expect. At RMAF 2015 I found myself at the Sennheiser table listening to two HD650's plugged into the same HDVA-600. One was balanced the other SE. Switching between them i noticed a significant difference in sound and was frankly shocked.

Balanced cans were much more meaty, better bass and all around more energy and excitement. A "fuller" sound. Akin to the loudness button on some vintage receivers but without the bloat/muddiness. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,707 of 6,472
So, the question to me then is as follows...

Assuming you have balanced headphones you can use, which would sound better...

-  The fully balanced integrated sigma-delta DAC; OR

-  A single ended multibit DAC (like Modi Multibit).

For most normal budgets at this time, you have to make a tradeoff between multibit or a fully balanced pipeline, because the cheapest balanced multibit DAC's are - well - a little more than I'm willing to spend...

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,708 of 6,472
I'd go mimby if those are your options.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2,709 of 6,472

For most normal budgets at this time, you have to make a tradeoff between multibit or a fully balanced pipeline, because the cheapest balanced multibit DAC's are - well - a little more than I'm willing to spend...

I would definitely go Multibit!

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #2,711 of 6,472

Unless someone has firsthand experience with your particular headphones on both of those combinations, the best you're going to get is speculation.

Personally, I'd take the balanced DAC to get fully balanced all the way through.  That would mean the analog side of the equation is pretty much end game.

You can always upgrade from DS to MB later (with very little money lost cause the inboard Jotunheim DAC is so inexpensive) if the itch to spend more / add more boxes strikes you at a later date.  

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,712 of 6,472
I would think that Schiit will eventually release a multibit add on card for the Jot, right??
confused.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,714 of 6,472
  I would think that Schiit will eventually release a multibit add on card for the Jot, right??
confused.gif

I recall comments saying it won't fit.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back