Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
May 19, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #1,576 of 2,954
Cheers, I'm building a house and I have a bit of budget constraint in the short term...

No, you're paying someone else to build your house. If you were building it yourself, you could charge almost anything to the building.

A reformed General Contractor.

May 19, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,577 of 2,954
Love My Felix Audio Espressivo (discontinued). Great tube amp indeed, and as advertised, my low impedance Grado's sound absolutely fantastic. I know that isn't generally thought to be the case.... :)

May 24, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,580 of 2,954
I have not had a chance to read all 106 pages but has anyone experienced Jot2's that have failed and had to be returned for warranty service yet?
I bought a replacement jot2 a month ago. I assume the original one has failed and was sent for replacement for some reason

May 24, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,581 of 2,954
I have not had a chance to read all 106 pages but has anyone experienced Jot2's that have failed and had to be returned for warranty service yet?
Unfortunetly, yes. I had a bad op-amp on the left channel. I think there are a few others as well. it was causing a DC offset issue with my Vidar. I’ve seen some others with the similar issues.

That said, Schiit fixed mine and sent it back. I purchased mine second hand but it only cost $50.00 to repair and the process was relatively quick and painless.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #1,583 of 2,954
Just a question for my own understanding:

I recently bought a Jot2 from another Head Fi user and it came in today. The initial set up was PC --> Bifrost 2 via Optical --> Jot2 via XLR. I noticed that while using an Optical Cable between my PC and the Bifrost 2, there was a constant static hum (maybe ground loop noise?). After some fiddling I ended up switching the Optical Cable for a USB connection. So, the final configuration was PC --> Bifrost 2 via USB --> Jot2 via XLR. That seems to have eliminated the noise entirely so things are good now. Looking forward to using the amp now. Can someone explain why switching from optical to USB made a difference here?

I ran into a similar issue previously with a Topping D50S/A90 pairing. In that case, the D50S was powered by a USB --> DC cable originating from the PC. For that situation, switching the power source from the PC to something external (an old phone charger) did the trick.

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #1,584 of 2,954

I recently bought a Jot2 from another Head Fi user and it came in today. The initial set up was PC --> Bifrost 2 via Optical --> Jot2 via XLR. I noticed that while using an Optical Cable between my PC and the Bifrost 2, there was a constant static hum (maybe ground loop noise?). After some fiddling I ended up switching the Optical Cable for a USB connection. So, the final configuration was PC --> Bifrost 2 via USB --> Jot2 via XLR. That seems to have eliminated the noise entirely so things are good now. Looking forward to using the amp now. Can someone explain why switching from optical to USB made a difference here?

I ran into a similar issue previously with a Topping D50S/A90 pairing. In that case, the D50S was powered by a USB --> DC cable originating from the PC. For that situation, switching the power source from the PC to something external (an old phone charger) did the trick.
Toslink cannot transfer ground loop noise! However there are numerous problems with this type of connection related to the cable or connections.

Jun 1, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #1,585 of 2,954

+1 that the toslink optical connection can not cause a ground loop (but the USB connection to the PC potentially might)

Toslink often has problems transmitting reliably with low jitter at higher bit rates and sample depths (e.g. 192k/24-bit). double-check that the PC is not upsampling the digital signal sent to the Bifrost 2 (one of BF2's strengths is the on-board upscaler / comboburrito digital filter) but keeping it native 44k/48k and 16 or 24 bits.

I have some Toslink cables that won't stay in place because the weight of the (solid) aluminum billet connectors causes the connection to sag and loosen. plus, the Coax RCA S/PDIF connection sounds better than Toslink.

the sound of the noise (e.g. low frequency hum vs. high frequency hiss vs. a hash or crackly sound) can give some hints as to the cause of the problem.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,587 of 2,954
Well I presently have the Project S2 digital heaphone amp dac/preamp on my desk top rig. I recently purchased the Elac Navis compact active speaker and have been using it on my desk top. I used to have the emotiva airmotiv 5. While the navis is a three way and has more power I do miss the amt tweeter on top. Of course the bass is better on the navis. And it can play louder than the emotiva did. But I am hearing the limitations of my op amp chip based preamp in the Project. So I just ordered the Jotunheim unit with the multibit dac module option. I read some brief reviews of it . Including seeing you tubes Steve Guttenbergs audiophilia review with the multibit option dac module which motivated me to take a chance on it unheard. I did get some use out of the project unit for a couple two three years. Replacing it was not an easy thing most of the highly rated dac preamps I researched where much to large for the limited space I have on my desk top which is laden with my computer tower my speaker stands and The Elac Navis stand mount speakers along with my dac and of couse the computer monitor. My first choice might have been the nuprime 10 dac/pre but could not fit it on my desk top. So the schiit is a bit bigger than my tiny Project unit but I am sure I can squeeze the Jotunheim in .

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,588 of 2,954
Well I presently have the Project S2 digital heaphone amp dac/preamp on my desk top rig. I recently purchased the Elac Navis compact active speaker and have been using it on my desk top. I used to have the emotiva airmotiv 5. While the navis is a three way and has more power I do miss the amt tweeter on top. Of course the bass is better on the navis. And it can play louder than the emotiva did. But I am hearing the limitations of my op amp chip based preamp in the Project. So I just ordered the Jotunheim unit with the multibit dac module option. I read some brief reviews of it . Including seeing you tubes Steve Guttenbergs audiophilia review with the multibit option dac module which motivated me to take a chance on it unheard. I did get some use out of the project unit for a couple two three years. Replacing it was not an easy thing most of the highly rated dac preamps I researched where much to large for the limited space I have on my desk top which is laden with my computer tower my speaker stands and The Elac Navis stand mount speakers along with my dac and of couse the computer monitor. My first choice might have been the nuprime 10 dac/pre but could not fit it on my desk top. So the schiit is a bit bigger than my tiny Project unit but I am sure I can squeeze the Jotunheim in .

consider using XLR balanced interconnects between the Jotunheim 2 and the Elacs for the lowest noise floor, given that the digital source is a tower computer.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,589 of 2,954
consider using XLR balanced interconnects between the Jotunheim 2 and the Elacs for the lowest noise floor, given that the digital source is a tower computer.
Thanks for the suggestion . I will hook it up balanced when i get it. But the waiting period is projected with the multibit card is projected as 12 weeks!!!!! oooouuuuccccchhhhh!!!!!! news flash I got an email that the jotenheim 2 multibit unit has shipped and supposed to come tomorrow via fed ex. I was shocked it shipped that quick from what the shipping estimated delivery was a lot longer. Hoping it is better than my project dac/pre headphone amp unit. We shall see
(hear).

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #1,590 of 2,954
Havent tried the Burson Conductor 3X Ref.

The Cayin IHA-6 is not in the same class as Jot 2. Not as dynamic. Not as lively and exciting. The IHA-6 also has a tipped up upper mid and treble. Bass is less slammy and textured. Timbre is also better on the Jot 2. Another weakness of the IHA-6 that bothered me a little is that greyish blackground which hinders clarity. Jot 2 doesn't have that issue.

I have tried quite a few SS amps, including north of $2,000 ones. The Jot 2 has really good macro dynamics and slam that is better or equal those amps, but what amazes me is the way it brings microdynamics. I have never heard it before in any SS amps. Heck, some of the tube amps that I tried can't even do microdynamics like that.

Though I do not have them both in front of me, I can't recall anything that the IHA-6 can edge the Jot 2. Maybe staging and separation are slightly better on the IHA-6. To be fair, IHA-6 is not a bad amp; actually prefer it to Topping or THX. But the Jot 2 just raised the bar. Unless when you have a really warm setup, which then the IHA-6 could be a better match. Otherwise, Jot 2 is clearly the better choice.
I have the conductor 3 reference single ended unit and the headphone amp section is no slouch I have the original burson ha 160 amp only unit and after the busron conductor 3 reference broke in I noticed that there was a bit of brightness in the presentation. So I reconfigured the conductor 3 ref as a dac only and fed it into my older burson HA-160 and I actually preferred the ha 160s sound to the conductor 3 refs headphone amplifier section. It just sounded more analog like. The conductor ref 3 does a fine job repurposed as a dac only. The burson ha-160 has plenty of power it drives my older audeze lcd 3s with no problem. and it drives the akg 701s very nicely which I have found to be pretty demanding of the headphone amp driving them. The 701s can sound pretty analytic with a lot of headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back