Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,516 of 2,954
I can feel your pain brother, but give them a break. As a business owner, sometimes I wonder if people ever heard about the pandemic and all the logistic issues created by, by the pandemic, not by Schiit. And by the AKM factory fire.

It is what it is folks, we are all in the same boat, I am waiting for JDS parts that were not inmediately in stock, but where shipped shortly after. I am waiting for sennheiser technical service answer, I have a problem with amazon one month now with no solution, I have a dhl parcel lost in italy cost me 122€ loss... Logistics are ****ed up everywhere, certainly not a problem with schiit at fault.
Maybe I was not clear in my post. I'm not blaming Schiit for the delays associated with covid or anything else. Delays happen, and yes, I do realize that covid has created a mess and added to the problem. My beef is specifically for Schiit claiming (on their web site), that the Jot2 was in stock and shipping, when in fact this was untrue. A product that is "in-stock" is normally a product that is ready to be shipped to a customer. In other words, it is already built, tested, packaged and sitting on a shelf ready to go. It is not a product that is waiting for parts to arrive so it can then be built (if the parts happen to arrive on time).

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,517 of 2,954
Maybe I was not clear in my post. I'm not blaming Schiit for the delays associated with covid or anything else. Delays happen, and yes, I do realize that covid has created a mess and added to the problem. My beef is specifically for Schiit claiming (on their web site), that the Jot2 was in stock and shipping, when in fact this was untrue. A product that is "in-stock" is normally a product that is ready to be shipped to a customer. In other words, it is already built, tested, packaged and sitting on a shelf ready to go. It is not a product that is waiting for parts to arrive so it can then be built (if the parts happen to arrive on time).
For the reason I cited above I think your expectations are unrealistic. You can always take your $ elsewhere.

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,519 of 2,954
Cancel the order.

In my case I learned that if you order simultaneously a DAC and an Amp then they will NOT hold whichever one is in stock at the time for the one that is out of stock.

This was fortuitous for me because I ended up just upgrading to the Bifrost2 to ensure that I got my Jotunheim 2 on time. I will say I am pleased with my purchase. The bifrost2 certainly shows itself in particular with my nearfield monitors and was a decided upgrade from my previous DAC for that purpose

The pandemic has been extremely favorable to the headphone, DAC, and amp business - including Schiit - for sure

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,520 of 2,954
Guys, so with my powered speakers attached to the XLR Pre-out of the Jot 2, which I did to be able to control volume of the speakers with the Jot 2 knob, how should I set volume between them? I noticed that if I connect the speakers directly to the Modius XLR, the speaker's own volume barely goes to about 8:30, which is VERY little play.

Should I set it where the Jot 2's volume knob is around 11-1 (low gain), so I get decent play? That means the speaker volume knob is about 12.

Or should I be nearly maxing the Jot 2.

Main point being that I don't wanna use the crappy little knob on the speakers, which causes me to move it around when I adjust.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,521 of 2,954
Guys, so with my powered speakers attached to the XLR Pre-out of the Jot 2, which I did to be able to control volume of the speakers with the Jot 2 knob, how should I set volume between them? I noticed that if I connect the speakers directly to the Modius XLR, the speaker's own volume barely goes to about 8:30, which is VERY little play.

Should I set it where the Jot 2's volume knob is around 11-1 (low gain), so I get decent play? That means the speaker volume knob is about 12.

Or should I be nearly maxing the Jot 2.

Main point being that I don't wanna use the crappy little knob on the speakers, which causes me to move it around when I adjust.

Whenever I've had a set up like that (two volume controls) I've set the speaker volume at around 12:00 and forgot about it. Use the Jot 2 adjust. I believe 12:00 is a good spot - high enough you're not cranking the Jot, but low enough that you're not making any noise from the speaker amp audible

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,523 of 2,954
I just figured since the speakers straight off a dac gets so little play in volume, perhaps I'd have to set it similarly, meaning setting the Jot really high up. But I had a feeling it's best just to set both at around halfway to getting enough play out of the pot.

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,524 of 2,954
I also don't think there is any "right" answer to this. Whatever gives you the best control with the least noise.
First, you say there is no "right" answer and immediately thereafter you gave the right answer :upside_down:

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,525 of 2,954
I just figured since the speakers straight off a dac gets so little play in volume, perhaps I'd have to set it similarly, meaning setting the Jot really high up. But I had a feeling it's best just to set both at around halfway to getting enough play out of the pot.
try setting the speaker's volume at 10 or 11 o'clock position, which should give you max adjustment range of the jot's higher quality volume control (and low gain mode). also good that the XLR to 1/4" TRS balanced (mono) cables you ordered were the right ones (and not wired in a way to damage anything)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #1,527 of 2,954
Is the DAC of the Jotunheim 2 with in-built DAC option (such as multibit DAC) balanced? If not, does that mean you're not getting a truly balanced output if you use the balanced headphone out of the Jotunheim since it's being fed from its unbalanced internal DAC?

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #1,528 of 2,954
Jot 2 can always output a truly balanced signal, whether input signal is from either of the two types of internal DAC Cards (Multi-bit and AK4490 D/S) or from the analog inputs, both RCA (SE) and XLR (balanced). That's what the Nexus gain stage circuitry does (as Jason says "strongly differential", converts SE to Bal and vice versa).

AFAIK, the AK4490 DAC Module (card) has twin AK4490 chips on-board and feeds a balanced signal to the Jot2 via the internal 2x5 header. The Multibit DAC card, however, I suspect is SE out only (but I might be incorrect), but there should be ample differential voltage gain in Jot2 to reach rated Headphone out power (both Balanced and SE) with a 0dBFS digital input.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #1,529 of 2,954
I only have the Ananda and a Topping A50s right now, but wow...that's a great track. Hoping to have the Arya in a few weeks followed by a Jot2 after that. I'll keep this one to try when they get here! 🤗
Hello,
could you do a comparison A50s and Jot2 ?

thank you, 🙏

May 3, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,530 of 2,954
sorry i haven't had a chance to go through 100 pages... tldr, is the multibit dac better than the ak4490?

and if i have the jot1 is it worth upgrading to the jot2?

also, my jot1 has the multibit dac; can i just swap it into the jot2?

thx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back