Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,426 of 2,954
So this might be an issue with some units where the transformer is too close to the motherboard and possible damaging the "op amp" section? I hope this isn't the case.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #1,429 of 2,954
Yikes. I'm hoping that they will just send me a new one since I've had this one for less than a month. Still haven't heard back from them.
For my first returned unit, they immediately sent me a "new" used unit after the return label they sent me was scanned into the FedEx System.
That was shipped overnight to me for free.
I thought they would do the same the second time but that wasn't the case.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,431 of 2,954
So I got mine in silver as a candidate for a solid-state office amp (when offices open back up). Like some here I was disappointed to find that there is a noticeable background hiss with very sensitive headphones, specifically, the 106db Stellia. (I don't own IEMs but since they are even more sensitive I can't imagine they would be any better.) This is on high or low gain, independent of the volume dial, and without any inputs plugged in, so I'm forced to conclude this is just the amp's noise floor speaking. The amp overall is built well and fantastic with powerful headphones like my Abyss, but with the profusion of cheap THX AAA amps there is no reason to compromise on noise versus power anymore. My inclination for now is unfortunately to return this and resume the search...
I have a Denon D5200 hp which is 24 ohm and 103db sensitivity, which is fairly close to your hps and using my Jot2 on either SE or BAL output is dead silent with nothing being played. Perhaps others who have a Stellia can chime in whether they hear hiss. I am thinking your Jot2 might be defective if others don't hear hiss with their Stellia.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,432 of 2,954
Did anyone else here have issues with distortion with there Jot2? Since yesterday I have been having distortion issues. It was that bad with the Balanced, but when i switched to SE it was really bad. I tried changing cables and connecting it to other sources and DACS and the issue is the AMP. Kind of bummed as I haven't even had it a month and have a pair of Ananda's arriving tomorrow. Schiit was pretty quick to respond to my email and hopefully I will have a replacement soon. Really love the AMP though. Pairing it with a Modius for now, but plan to upgrade to a Bifrost 2 one day.
Had the same issue a few weeks back, right channel started having a slight distortion and became worse over a few days. Contacted customer service and the unit was replaced within a few days. My replacement unit has been working great for the past few weeks with no issues. Must of had a bad board.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,433 of 2,954
Had the same issue a few weeks back, right channel started having a slight distortion and became worse over a few days. Contacted customer service and the unit was replaced within a few days. My replacement unit has been working great for the past few weeks with no issues. Must of had a bad board.
I hope my replacement has no issues as well. I just got a tracking number for my replacement. Pretty fast turn around time since initially contacting them yesterday morning. Great customer service from Schitt Audio.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #1,434 of 2,954
Hi. I’m not really understanding this. I’m a relative newbie who has a BF2 and Jot2 coming soon. It makes sense that the source (MacBook or iPhone) would be set loudly. And then keep Jot volume at around 10 or 11. But where does DAC volume come into play?

This seems like a common sense thing but I’m still a little confused.
Some DACs has volume control, but BF2 does not.

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #1,435 of 2,954
If this has been previously covered, please excuse my post.

Tonight, I connected the pre-out from my Lyr 3 to the single ended input to my Jot 2. I'm currently running early 1950's era RCA 6F8G tubes, with adapter, on my Lyr 3.

Both amps are sourced from my Bifrost 2, from my PC with Amazon Music HD, and Tidal HD streamed. I've tried my newly acquired Sennheiser HD 800S on my Jott2, balanced, and the Lyr 3, single ended. Frankly, the Lry 3 prevailed in most listening experiences. The Lyr 3 > Jott 2 is the best I've heard from any source.

I won't discount another amp as better than the Lyr 3 as a preamp to the Jot 2. I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. Perhaps the best listening I've experienced.

Edit: If you decide to try my recipee, 100% from your computer source. Middle from your main amp. Let your preamp control the sound.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,436 of 2,954
Just saw this new youtube video and noticed the internal board says "Jotunheim 2 | 1.02". I wonder if this is the only version from debut release or if there is a subsequent revision now.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #1,437 of 2,954
Just saw this new youtube video and noticed the internal board says "Jotunheim 2 | 1.02". I wonder if this is the only version from debut release or if there is a subsequent revision now.

Who knows, but I wouldn't doubt it considering alot of people seem to be having the same problem with it as I. Mine is a launch Jot 2 and I recently sent it in for repair (would be nice if Schiit would let me know what is going on!). I started having alot of distortion in the left ear cup (using balanced with Bifrost 2 & balanced headphone out). Once I plugged in a headphone single ended, fuggetaboudit! It was nuked. Seems to be a similar problem to a bunch of other people as well.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #1,438 of 2,954
pic of Jot 2 PCB on their website has rev1.02 on the silkscreen (near the center of the circuit board) , so likely all production boards are that rev.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,439 of 2,954
It‘s such a shame. I would very much like to buy one. Great specs, but to many quality issues to risk an import to Germany and Schiit Europe seems to be dead.....

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,440 of 2,954
It‘s such a shame. I would very much like to buy one. Great specs, but to many quality issues to risk an import to Germany and Schiit Europe seems to be dead.....

Yeah, just read a bunch of praise for its sound signature a bit earlier, got excited and decided to pop in here but, as another European, it doesn't sound like the Jot 2 would be worth the hassle. If I'm putting more than a hundred euros into audio gear, it has to be reliable and last a long time, especially if I'm importing it from the US - returns and repairs would be way too expensive.

Sucks. Otherwise the Jot 2 sounds like it could be perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back