Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #918 of 2,952
M - O - R - E :

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #919 of 2,952
For Jot2 the lower voltage of the dual 4490 DAC module is not a limiting factor in reaching max rated power (for low efficiency loads like Susvara), as the DAC module has a differential output, and the Jot 2 amp stage is strongly differential (even with SE headphones, its like having a 2*1.4V = 2.8V SE input.

Feb 20, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #920 of 2,952
How did the DAC module limit the A3?

I'm considering getting the Jot 2 with the AK4490 DAC module and using it that way until I save up for/decide on the right external DAC. If it compromises the amp, I'll adjust my plan.
I suggest you use the onboard DAC from your PC/MAC, or purchase a Schiit Modi (or similar, low cost, stand alone DAC), until you're ready to spring for the DAC of your choice.

Much easier to sell/repurpose a standalone product, than to sell an add-on card.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #921 of 2,952
I have a bifrost 2 and a Jot 2. When the bifrost gets back from repair, I will post impressions on here. It’s an incredible piece of kit and how I ultimately plan to run the amp.
I'm curious, what was wrong with your Bifrost?

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #922 of 2,952
I'm curious, what was wrong with your Bifrost?
Not exactly sure what happened. Just came home one day and it wouldn’t power on. Never had any problem with their gear before. Had 30 different products over the years from them and none ever went bad. They sent me an rma a day later and it got fixed within a week and is on its way back now.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #923 of 2,952
deleted
To me it makes more sense to get Modi for example. Easier to sell if you need to upgrade down the line. Should also sound better as it has own PS.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #924 of 2,952
This is the setup I have currently.

BF2 -> XLR 4 PIN Cables going into Balanced In Jot 2 -> Pre out RCA going into Audioengine A2+. I am using a Focal Elex headphone with its stock balanced 4 Pin XLR cable going into the front of the Jot 2 balanced headphone output.

There is always some hum/hiss sound when I put my ear near the Audioengine A2+, but you can barely hear it if you move 3 feet away from the speakers.

A louder and more concentrated Hum/hiss sound comes out when I turn the Jot 2 off with the 4 Pin XLR headphone cable plugged in. This sound can be even louder when I turn the volume button higher on my Audioengine A2+ via the volume knob on the speaker's back. Also I unplugged my headphone from the cable and its still making that sound. I tried plugging in my DT 1990 Pro using SE unbalanced headphone out while the Jot 2 is off and the speakers dont make any noise. Its only when I have that 4 pin XLR cable plugged in that it starts to make this loud hum/hiss sound.

I do hear pop sound sometimes when I unplug and plug the RCA cable from the back of the Jot 2. I also hear a bit of popping sound when I plug in my headphone with cable when the Jot 2 is off, but when the Jot 2 is on I dont hear any sound.
Thanks for the answers as it helps. To begin with, your preamp is feeding the preamp in your A2+ so you see you have 2 volume controls which is never optimum. Instead of connecting the A2+ to your Jot2 you would be better served by connectiNg it to the BF2’s SE connections. It is recommended to leave the BF2 on to thermally stabilize the DAC and your problem would be solved. This is how I have my BF2 integrated with my system and it works without noise and is best practice.

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #925 of 2,952
BF2 and Jot2 is an incredible combo IMO. I have a Modius but have not tried it with the Jot2 yet. It was a very explosive and revealing combo with the old Jot 1 though.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #927 of 2,952
To the owners of the Jotunheim in black, how glaring is that big ol silver volume knob on that finish? I kind of like the black more, but I'm not sure about the knob contrast... Is it matte, or polished? It's hard to tell looking at pictures.
I thought the same thing before I bought ithr black Jot2 as a stack with a black Modius. Turns out it looks much better than I expected. From a few feet away, you don't notice the knob.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #928 of 2,952
To the owners of the Jotunheim in black, how glaring is that big ol silver volume knob on that finish? I kind of like the black more, but I'm not sure about the knob contrast... Is it matte, or polished? It's hard to tell looking at pictures.
you can order a black knob somewhere, and you will have a full black setup, if that is what you want. I think silver looks too old school. I don't mean it looks old for me, no, it looks old even if it was for my grandpa. Black much better. Silver knb is good i think.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #929 of 2,952
you can order a black knob somewhere, and you will have a full black setup, if that is what you want. I think silver looks too old school. I don't mean it looks old for me, no, it looks old even if it was for my grandpa. Black much better. Silver knb is good i think.
You are hurting my feelings. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back