Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #856 of 2,952
Both! I enjoy each of the them. I find the Balanced better in terms of clarity, a bit tighter bass with some improvements in sub-bass. However, these are nuanced differences. If you start listening SE without side by testing, I'm guessing you would be very pleased.
Thanks, I was curious. I owned a Rupert Neve RNHP and there really wasn't much of a difference between the SE and balanced that I could discern.

Feb 17, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #858 of 2,952
I've posted pictures in this thread of the knob off and its insert which is a D-style press fit. Since the insert is not a stiff plastic it does stick a bit to the shaft but will release with enough force.
Thanks for your post. In some way, responding to an earlier post (than yours), I was catapulted past your post. I re-read the thread last night, and noticed your excellent post.

Seeing that the knob was "impacted" I removed my Jot 2 knob using a double louped, waxed, braided cord, or in other words, an old boot lace, to get the person off.

I used the already altered knob from my Asgard 3 black to press back on the Jot 2. I think I prefer the mat Asgard 3 knob over the chrome Jot 2 (silver) knob.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #859 of 2,952
Was going to post Currawong review too.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #860 of 2,952
Reviewers are funny, aren't they? Even the ones supposed to be serious. Love Currawong reviews though, I can trust him.

That being said though, listen to the guy trash the 789 in 5 or 6 different sides, LOL. Pretty much calls it a piece of... So when Jot 3 or who knows what and he, or eos, talk about the jot2, in 2-3 years, then we will have the real Jot 2 review by currawong or Zeos, LOL. I really love how these guys trash the old stuff, no problem at all, but in the first review it was the bees knees...

Love currawong though, he is against "measurements is everything" ;-D

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #861 of 2,952
I wouldn't put it that far. I still think that the 789 is a reasonable buy, I just disagree with the trend towards measurements, which don't represent one's experience with listening (with one exception, which is a whole other discussion) and pushes designs towards good numbers, instead of a good listening experience.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #862 of 2,952
I wouldn't put it that far. I still think that the 789 is a reasonable buy, I just disagree with the trend towards measurements, which don't represent one's experience with listening (with one exception, which is a whole other discussion) and pushes designs towards good numbers, instead of a good listening experience.
Well said. Great review. I’m still coming to grips with mine. I enjoy it very much though. It’s a bit of a departure from my normal amp sound, but that’s why I bought it...to get some other flavors. It fits the bill nicely. I tend to favor more laid back type sound for my “end of day” relaxing type music. This can do that fine (more so out of the single ended). I tend to see the balanced and single ended as two slightly different types of the same flavor. If I want a bit more forward and punchy sound, balanced. If I think a track could lean back a bit, single ended.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #863 of 2,952
I just disagree with the trend towards measurements, which don't represent one's experience with listening (with one exception, which is a whole other discussion) and pushes designs towards good numbers, instead of a good listening experience.

Amen to that. Frankly, I couldn't care less about measurements as long as it sounds good to my ears.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #864 of 2,952

Great. Did you tested the XLR and/or RCA outputs with powered monitor speaekrs, or amplifiers, or something? Thanks for your awesome videos.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #865 of 2,952
Amen to that. Frankly, I couldn't care less about measurements as long as it sounds good to my ears.
Well said. My tube amp measures quite poorly compared to some of my other gear, but it’s the only thing I would openly weep over if it were gone.
Also, I had a NOS R2R DAC that measured broken just about. But it sounded so sweet and musical. It hurt my heart to have to sell it.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #866 of 2,952
Great. Did you tested the XLR and/or RCA outputs with powered monitor speaekrs, or amplifiers, or something? Thanks for your awesome videos.
I can't remember if it was in the take I used for the final review (it was something like the 4th) but it sounds the same as a pre-amp as it does a headphone amp -- warmer, narrower sound than a higher-end amp would.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #867 of 2,952
Nice reviews :relaxed:
Sorry to start my posts with this. I was allowed to add info only yesterday. I have 2nd! Jot2 failed and will be out of this thread. The same XLR headphones out issue.
Actually I quite liked the sound when Jot2 worked. I must be insanely unlucky but feel fine :smile_phones:

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #868 of 2,952
Cheese Factor 8: Until I'm able to properly modify my Jot 2 knob, I'm using the smallest dot, in silver, of this product purchased from WalMart. It works surprisingly well.
As I said in a followup to this post, I replaced my Jot 2 volume knob with my previously modified Asgard 3 knob. Much better than the stick on "jewels".

I did find a use for the jewels. I'd been using small balls of Blu-tack to obscure the bright LEDs on my Schiit stack. It worked, but didn't look the best.

I substituted the stick on jewels, using the silver 6mm for the Jot and Lyr, and 4 colors of the 4mm on the source selection lights of the Modius.

I like the look. The picture is close, but shows the lights a little brighter than they actually are.

f/2.8, ISO 100, 2 seconds.
DSC02799.jpg

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #869 of 2,952
Hey guys, so I have had Jot 2 and BF2 for a few weeks now. One thing I notice is that if I turn both of these devices off and have a headphone XLR/4 plugged in and RCA pre amp out plugged into my speakers, I would hear loud hum/hiss coming out of the speakers. The noise disappears as soon as I plug out my headphones via XLR/4. Is this normal?

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #870 of 2,952
Hey guys, so I have had Jot 2 and BF2 for a few weeks now. One thing I notice is that if I turn both of these devices off and have a headphone XLR/4 plugged in and RCA pre amp out plugged into my speakers, I would hear loud hum/hiss coming out of the speakers. The noise disappears as soon as I plug out my headphones via XLR/4. Is this normal?
Probably a ground loop problem. Wouldn't call it normal, but it is very common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back