Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #1,186 of 2,952
New Corner.jpg

I really enjoy the Magnius but for some reason I couldn't shake the idea that the Jot2 might sound "better", so I ordered one on March 3rd - and it arrived today! I feel pretty lucky I got it so quick!

Only a few hours into it so far and it's really great - a nice, rich sound. And the bass hits my Sundaras a little harder than the Magnius, which I like a lot. I finally know what people mean when they describe the sound being "more 3d" - the combination of separation and a more "round" feel.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,187 of 2,952
Anyone have either of the HD800 variants with the Jot2? I'll be receiving the Drop 8XX on Monday for quick 2 day impressions, but I don't have a balanced cable for those and they're stupid expensive, so it'll have to be through the Jot 2's SE input.

I was just wondering if I'm really going to limit the 8XX this way. I know the SE input is a bit smoother and analog sounding in comparison which may actually benefit the 8XX, but I worry about the power output not being enough for the impedance spikes.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,190 of 2,952
I have an Asgard 3. If I do not plan on going the balanced route and still use the SE do you think that the Jot 2 would be an upgrade? Focal Clear Pros are my headphones that I use most often.
That is the question only you can answer. I would rather invest in the source or one of the USB clean-up devices

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #1,191 of 2,952
Forgot to mention, when I use the Vali2 as a tube preamp/buffer, I feed the RCA out from BF2 to Vali2, with the volume pot turned all the way up on Low Gain, then RCA out to Jot2. I listen by using the 4 pin XLR hp out and control volume with the Jot2's knob.

With a flick of the Jot2's input switch, I can either enjoy Balance feed direct from BF2 or choose the RCA input and enjoy the tube flavor from the Vali2/BF2. Easy to compare both styles this way too after volume matching.

That’s interesting and nice to have two options. I wonder how your Vali 2 + Jotunheim 2 combo would compare to Lyr 3.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #1,193 of 2,952
That’s interesting and nice to have two options. I wonder how your Vali 2 + Jotunheim 2 combo would compare to Lyr 3.
I have not listened to a Lyr3 yet. But I did briefly own a Mjolnir2 before I got the Jot2 and Bifrost2. So I was not able to do a head to head comparison. But I can say the Vali2 with Jot2 does NOT make me miss the Mjolnir2.

From my memory, so take this with a grain of salt, the Mjolnir2 was a little more refined in the presentation vs Jot2/Vali2 combo. That's one thing that stood out to me. I am sure there are minor differences too if I had a chance to do an ABA comparison.

I did have the Vali2 when I had the Mj2.
The Mjolnir2 vs Vali2 as a hybrid tube amp, in Balance mode, there is no contest. The Mj2 wins pretty much on all fronts to my ears. However, in SE mode, the Vali2 was not far off unless its a power requirement/deficiency.

But I am happy with the Jot2/Vali2/BF2 combo, it gives me a hint of that tube flavor that I crave.

Mar 13, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,194 of 2,952
Anyone have either of the HD800 variants with the Jot2? I'll be receiving the Drop 8XX on Monday for quick 2 day impressions, but I don't have a balanced cable for those and they're stupid expensive, so it'll have to be through the Jot 2's SE input.

I was just wondering if I'm really going to limit the 8XX this way. I know the SE input is a bit smoother and analog sounding in comparison which may actually benefit the 8XX, but I worry about the power output not being enough for the impedance spikes.
You’ll get great sound. Should not limit

Mar 13, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #1,195 of 2,952

I have ran my Hifiman Arya's through the Jot 2's SE output and it powers them just fine. The 8xx should be a breeze in comparison.

Mar 13, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,196 of 2,952
I have ran my Hifiman Arya's through the Jot 2's SE output and it powers them just fine. The 8xx should be a breeze in comparison.
Arya requires current which Jot 2 in SE has plenty of. It's voltage that it may be lacking in. They're different. For example, the meager Vali 2 has more power at 300ohm than the Jot 2. Not to mention the HD800s have a large 700ohm impedance spike at 100hz. That doesn't seem ideal for the Jot 2's SE output, hence the concern. With not enough power, that'll make that range sound weaker. Planars = current, high impedance dynamics = voltage.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,197 of 2,952
Arya requires current which Jot 2 in SE has plenty of. It's voltage that it may be lacking in. They're different. For example, the meager Vali 2 has more power at 300ohm than the Jot 2. Not to mention the HD800s have a large 700ohm impedance spike at 100hz. That doesn't seem ideal for the Jot 2's SE output, hence the concern. With not enough power, that'll make that range sound weaker. Planars = current, high impedance dynamics = voltage.
Imo, 330 mw will be more than sufficient to drive a 300 ohm dynamic driver with authority, even at lower frequencies/higher impedances. How it pairs with the hd800 (as always with that hp) will depend more on the character of the sound than something as easily measured as power output. Ofc, there are many who seem to question whether such a thing as a "character" to sound exists; that everything that matters can be measured. That has not been my experience.

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,198 of 2,952
The Vali 2+ produces 400mW at 300 ohms, while the Vali 2 produces 270mW at 300 ohms. Jot2 at 300 ohms produces 330mW. Just wanted to point that out.

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,199 of 2,952
The Vali 2+ produces 400mW at 300 ohms, while the Vali 2 produces 270mW at 300 ohms. Jot2 at 300 ohms produces 330mW. Just wanted to point that out.
From the Vali 2 specs page:
"Note: Maximum power rated at less than 5% THD for tube and tube hybrid amps, as compared to less than 1% for solid state."
"THD: <0.009%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, 300 ohms
IMD: <0.015%, CCIR, 300 ohms"

From the Jot 2 page:
"THD: <0.006%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 2V RMS, 300 ohms
IMD: <0.007%, CCIR, at 2V RMS, 300 ohms"

Slightly more power at potentially more distortion.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #1,200 of 2,952
It'd be nice if Schiit made a Valius or better yet, a Valtunheim to be like a tube hybrid version of the Jotunheim, balanced config included.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back