Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #1,156 of 2,952
I'm really curious to know how it'd go with a Saga+ or Freya+ given those are specifically intended for pre-amping
I would be very interested in a Saga2 with Balance input and output so that I can keep it all balance connected with some tube flavoring. Although I don't have my Mjolnir2 anymore to compare, but if a Saga2 with Balance ins and outs between the Jot2 and BF2, that will be an interesting concoction.

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,157 of 2,952
Mar 10, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,158 of 2,952
I would be very interested in a Saga2 with Balance input and output so that I can keep it all balance connected with some tube flavoring. Although I don't have my Mjolnir2 anymore to compare, but if a Saga2 with Balance ins and outs between the Jot2 and BF2, that will be an interesting concoction.
Freya+ / Freya S (discontinued) are the balanced versions of Saga+ and Saga S (discontinued), respectively.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,159 of 2,952
Yes, but I am wishing for a cheaper alternative with the next Saga to have Balance ins and outs. My pipe dream...

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #1,162 of 2,952
For those who want to use the Jot2 but want a bit of tube flavor, adding a Vali2 (or Vali2+) between the Jot2 and the dac is a viable option. I have been using the Vali2 as a tube preamp/buffer in between my Jot2 and BF2 for the past several days and it sounds very good.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, Jot2 shines the most when listening with Balanced input and output as it provides better separation, blacker background, and each instrument is so distinctive and sounds more precise. This allows you to hear into the music more in this manner.

But using the Vali2 as a tube preamp/buffer brings different set of attributes to the table. Yes, by going this route, you will have to use SE RCA from dac to Vali2 and RCA into the Jot2, breaking the full Balance connection.

However, the trade offs if we can call it that, is you will lose a very small smidgen of that separation, blacker background, and that distinctiveness/precision, but you gain a bit of euphonics, a bit longer decay, luscious mids, more smoothness, ease of flow, and less glare, less edge. The differences are not night and day, but enough to notice.

I actually find myself listening to this Schiit Triple Play combo more than the Double Play Jot2/BF2 lately. Some songs like Dido's Slide song was so 3D, and ethereal, it moved me. To me, full Balance seeks the truth from the recording where as with Vali2 in the chain, seeks the fun and emotion from the recording. Great to have both options.

Must note that I use the large dual 6J5G tubes on my Vali2 with adapter, I find the two tubes offer better stereo separation vs the single 6922 variants. I am also a believer in nicer quality interconnects, power cables, and power conditioning. So as they say YMMV. But just wanted to share my experience in case others were interested.
The vali 2 has been the worst amp from Schiit that I owned. It Severely lacked of detail and was distorted (could not hear but feel) like hell that gave me headache everytime using it :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,163 of 2,952
I am very happy with how it pairs with T1 2nd and LCD-2. It can also drive Arya if you like listening at low volume. It can drive them loud but distortion is quite apparent. LCD-XC not so much. This is not your "creamy" valve amp. Very neutral, detailed, and clean but with that presence that makes music full-bodied without any harshness or glare. Gain switch (at the back :rolling_eyes:) also changes output impedance which is very handy for headphone matching. I am using supplied tubes (Tung-sol) but can also tube roll and change sound signature. It has two transformers, but it is dead quiet, with no buzz or hum. Two negatives, placement of the gain switch and amp runs very, very hot. Even the volume knob gets quite hot :hotsprings: Will not burn your fingers but it is unpleasantly hot.

To my ears and my music tastes, Valh2 and LCD-2 produces better sound than anything else I have tried (even $5,000+ rig)
May I ask the name of the $5k rigs? Tks

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #1,164 of 2,952
The vali 2 has been the worst amp from Schiit that I owned. It Severely lacked of detail and was distorted (could not hear but feel) like hell that gave me headache everytime using it :frowning2:

Lyr 3 is a good one for its price, but IMO hybrids still lack the bass impact and macrodynamics of a point-to-point wired SET OPT amp (low output impedance). Truly wish Schiit would release such a beast (killer SET OPT amp with a performance of a Woo WA6 SE or SW51+ or Mogwai OG) at half their price

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,165 of 2,952
I am installing Schiit's dac card into my Jotunheim 2. The Jotunheim 1 volume knob (and my Asgard 2) had a small hole with a screw that held the volume knob in place. There is no hole on the Jotunheim 2 volume knob - is the volume knob just press fit on there?

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,166 of 2,952
Yes. It is just press fit.

I am installing Schiit's dac card into my Jotunheim 2. The Jotunheim 1 volume knob (and my Asgard 2) had a small hole with a screw that held the volume knob in place. There is no hole on the Jotunheim 2 volume knob - is the volume knob just press fit on there?

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #1,167 of 2,952
yes, press fit if there are no hex head screw access holes. you might try some masking / painter's blue tape on the sides of the volume knob to increase your grip / prevent fingers sliding when removing the knob.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #1,169 of 2,952
Yes. It is just press fit.

yes, press fit if there are no hex head screw access holes. you might try some masking / painter's blue tape on the sides of the volume knob to increase your grip / prevent fingers sliding when removing the knob.

Thank you for the confirmation - I appreciate it!

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #1,170 of 2,952
Finally breaking in my Jot 2, which is replacing a 789. After finally discovering what a big deal tube amps can be, going back to that ultra clean AAA sound just wasn't cutting it anymore for my solid-state amping needs. Also, big potential with this preamp if it's as good as the headphone section. Anyways. I think I love this amp. It's very dynamic and engaging without sounding overtly colored. I also love front power switches, but that's an old complaint. I think it just pairs better with my headphone choices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back