Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #2,536 of 2,952
I should have said the Qutest is single ended. Looks like the Bifrost 2 is 2V SE and 4V balanced (2 x 2V) so maybe 2V/4V works best. I’d be interested to hear of anyone getting above this working and more importantly sounding good.
I've run a Bifrost 2 into a Jot 2 with no issues. Single ended (2v) and balanced (4v). And output to headphones single ended and balanced. I've also added the 2/64 card, which is "true" balanced from the Bifrost 2, with no issues. Does that help?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,537 of 2,952
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here with experience can lend me some suggestion support. I am looking to upgrade my DAC/Amp from an all-in-one DX7S (Topping) to either a Bifrost (latest edition) with a Jotunheim 2 or a D90 + A90D Topping stack. If anyone here has had experience with both setups, can you please talk about how they differed and what/why you preferred one over the other?

I'm also open to trying a hybrid like Bifrost+A90D but now sure how well they would work/sound together in terms of synergy.

FWIW, I absolutely love my DX7S but it lacks power for things like a HE6SE or LCD-4 which is what has me looking for upgrades. Need something with more power for harder to drive headphones.

Also.. open to using my DX7S as a DAC and just buying an amp.. A90D or Jotunheim 2.. not sure if that would be more practical or if it would be better to buy the proper "partner DAC" to run with the respective counterpart amps. All thoughts are welcome!

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,538 of 2,952
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here with experience can lend me some suggestion support. I am looking to upgrade my DAC/Amp from an all-in-one DX7S (Topping) to either a Bifrost (latest edition) with a Jotunheim 2 or a D90 + A90D Topping stack. If anyone here has had experience with both setups, can you please talk about how they differed and what/why you preferred one over the other?

I'm also open to trying a hybrid like Bifrost+A90D but now sure how well they would work/sound together in terms of synergy.

FWIW, I absolutely love my DX7S but it lacks power for things like a HE6SE or LCD-4 which is what has me looking for upgrades. Need something with more power for harder to drive headphones.

Also.. open to using my DX7S as a DAC and just buying an amp.. A90D or Jotunheim 2.. not sure if that would be more practical or if it would be better to buy the proper "partner DAC" to run with the respective counterpart amps. All thoughts are welcome!
I use the Denefrips AresII with Jotunheim2 amp. Love it.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #2,539 of 2,952
I like the Jotunheim 2 WAY more than the A90D. Just my opinion, but I greatly prefer the dynamics and tonality of the J2 over any Topping amp I've heard.

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,541 of 2,952
I've only briefly listened to a a90(without the D) next to my jot2 so take this with a grain of salt, but the Jot2 seemed alot punchier and rich sounding compared to the comparatively thinner but ever so slightly cleaner sound of the a90

Personally I was also happy to own the Jot2 over the a90 but it seems like a question of taste which of the 2 you will preffer.

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #2,543 of 2,952
I've only briefly listened to a a90(without the D) next to my jot2 so take this with a grain of salt, but the Jot2 seemed alot punchier and rich sounding compared to the comparatively thinner but ever so slightly cleaner sound of the a90

Personally I was also happy to own the Jot2 over the a90 but it seems like a question of taste which of the 2 you will preffer.
Thank you! I'm actually leaning towards the R2R Bifrost/Jot2 setup I think but I just love how the A90D comes with a remote lol. That remote is soo convenient.. I guess I also like how the D90 supports MQA and wireless streaming.. but R2R I feel is it's own special thing in comparison..

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #2,544 of 2,952
I like the Jotunheim 2 WAY more than the A90D. Just my opinion, but I greatly prefer the dynamics and tonality of the J2 over any Topping amp I've heard.
YES!

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #2,545 of 2,952
Topping amps are for people who listen to sine wave sweeps instead of music

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #2,546 of 2,952
Nov 3, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #2,547 of 2,952
Topping amps are for people who listen to sine wave sweeps instead of music
Agreed. I tried liking them…so much so I bought and sold the A90 twice. There’s no getting around how impressive the numbers are but I just can’t get over the plastic / tinny sound. I keep coming back to the good and trusty Schiit.

The Jot 2 just has a more pleasing tone to my ears.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #2,548 of 2,952
Topping and SMSL make really good, clean and also affordable DACs though. Their amps are too sterile and clinical, but those are qualities that you kind of want from your DAC. My current favorite combos for budget killer stacks are Topping/SMSL DACs + Schiit amps:

- SMSL SU-6 (previously Topping E30) + Asgard 3
- SMSL C200 + Vali 2++

Chinese-American love :)

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #2,549 of 2,952
Topping and SMSL make really good, clean and also affordable DACs though. Their amps are too sterile and clinical, but those are qualities that you kind of want from your DAC. My current favorite combos for budget killer stacks are Topping/SMSL DACs + Schiit amps:

- SMSL C200 + Vali 2++

Gotta agree. I feel like the chinese dacs are especially worthwhile if your budget is below a bifrost as the cheaper schiit dacs are kind of underwhelming compared to the smsl and topping stuff.

Nov 4, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #2,550 of 2,952

- SMSL C200 + Vali 2++

Sterile and clinical? Where did you hear that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back