Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #2,521 of 2,952
That's a cool DAC and most likely still relevant today :sunglasses:
The ML 360 is very resolving. The little brother which is the Proceed DAP is a little less resolving but is very musical. These dacs were used back in the day to mate with a dedicated CD transport In home systems. Used with a DDC (clean up and isolate PC signal), even entry level iFi SPDIF iPrurifier2, good power isolation and cabling, these dacs in a headphone setup are so much superior it is shocking. Literally night and day.

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #2,522 of 2,952
The ML 360 is very resolving. The little brother which is the Proceed DAP is a little less resolving but is very musical. These dacs were used back in the day to mate with a dedicated CD transport In home systems. Used with a DDC (clean up and isolate PC signal), even entry level iFi SPDIF iPrurifier2, good power isolation and cabling, these dacs in a headphone setup are so much superior it is shocking. Literally night and day.

I hear you, some audio products age very well just like wine and will always remain relevant. That Mark Levinson DAC you own is one of them. Enjoy and may it serve you well for years to come :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #2,523 of 2,952
I'm interested in possibly picking up a Jot sometime in the near future. I've already got a Modius DAC, so there's no reason for me to spend the extra on the DAC module, yeah?

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,524 of 2,952
I'm interested in possibly picking up a Jot sometime in the near future. I've already got a Modius DAC, so there's no reason for me to spend the extra on the DAC module, yeah?
That's right.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #2,525 of 2,952
That's right.
Great, thanks. Another question I have about this amp:

My current daily driver, the Singxer SA-1, it performs best if you're running it 1:1 with input and output. Which is to say, if you're using the balanced output, it's best to feed it through the balanced input. If you're using the SE output, it's best fed with the SE input. If you mix the SE output with the balanced input or vice versa, there's a pretty noticeable drop in quality.

Does the Jot have any such peculiarities, as well?

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #2,526 of 2,952

My current daily driver, the Singxer SA-1, it performs best if you're running it 1:1 with input and output. Which is to say, if you're using the balanced output, it's best to feed it through the balanced input. If you're using the SE output, it's best fed with the SE input. If you mix the SE output with the balanced input or vice versa, there's a pretty noticeable drop in quality.

I don't think there will be a difference for the Jot 2 if you feed it SE and use balanced output. You can use it in multiple configurations and it will still sound amazing. Thats the beauty of this amp.

source: Schiit's FAQ on Jotunheim 2 webpage. Highlighted text for emphasis.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #2,527 of 2,952
I have a Jot 2 and was using it with a Modius (AKM version). The Modius is a great DAC for the money and mates well especially balanced with Jot 2.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #2,528 of 2,952

You can mix and match input and outputs. But I have found performance to be best balanced in and balanced out. Depending on the DAC like with Modius the voltage output balanced is twice the voltage output single ended. The two sound and feel different, but is close. Same with output where balanced is 3x or so the power single ended. Again sonic performance and feel for what you hear is effected.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #2,529 of 2,952
I don't think there will be a difference for the Jot 2 if you feed it SE and use balanced output. You can use it in multiple configurations and it will still sound amazing. Thats the beauty of this amp.

source: Schiit's FAQ on Jotunheim 2 webpage. Highlighted text for emphasis.
I can confirm this; I’ve used mine with combinations of SE and Balanced inputs and SE and Balanced outputs; always sounds great.

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #2,530 of 2,952
I can confirm this; I’ve used mine with combinations of SE and Balanced inputs and SE and Balanced outputs; always sounds great.
I agree, great sounding amp, either balanced or single ended. Tiny, minute differences between the two, IMO. If I'm listening to the music and not the amp, I can't tell. For $400 you really can't go wrong with this amp.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #2,531 of 2,952
Has anyone here compared sound of this amp vs magni 3+?
- How would you describe the sound differences ?

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #2,532 of 2,952
What is optimal input voltage for Jot2? i.e. output from DAC...

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,533 of 2,952
What is optimal input voltage for Jot2? i.e. output from DAC...
My Qutest distorts outputting 3V, so I leave it at 2V

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #2,534 of 2,952
On one setup, I have a Jot 2 paired with a RME ADI-2. I have it set at 2V output via balanced (reference level to +13 and set the volume to -4.5 or -5.0). The other setup is with a BF2, which according to Schiit's spec sheet, outputs at a max of 4V - but there is no way for me to check.

TL/DR - both setups sound great to me.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #2,535 of 2,952
On one setup, I have a Jot 2 paired with a RME ADI-2. I have it set at 2V output via balanced (reference level to +13 and set the volume to -4.5 or -5.0). The other setup is with a BF2, which according to Schiit's spec sheet, outputs at a max of 4V - but there is no way for me to check.

TL/DR - both setups sound great to me.
I should have said the Qutest is single ended. Looks like the Bifrost 2 is 2V SE and 4V balanced (2 x 2V) so maybe 2V/4V works best. I’d be interested to hear of anyone getting above this working and more importantly sounding good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back