Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,831 of 2,954
For someone who's upgraded from maybe an asgard 3 or 789 to Jotunheim what were the big differences from the upgrade?
I tried the Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2 side by side over the weekend and the differences (using the single-ended output of the Jotunheim 2) are quite small. The Asgard 3 is a bit more laid-back and the treble is a bit more subdued while the Jotunheim 2 is a bit more dynamic and energetic while keeping a smooth treble. Again, the differences are small and unless you're looking to use the balanced output of the Jotunheim 2 (which sounds very good) my advice would be to stick with the Asgard 3.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,832 of 2,954
I tried the Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2 side by side over the weekend and the differences (using the single-ended output of the Jotunheim 2) are quite small. The Asgard 3 is a bit more laid-back and the treble is a bit more subdued while the Jotunheim 2 is a bit more dynamic and energetic while keeping a smooth treble. Again, the differences are small and unless you're looking to use the balanced output of the Jotunheim 2 (which sounds very good) my advice would be to stick with the Asgard 3.
Thanks for sharing. I suspected the Asgard 3 and SE output from a Jot 2 would be similar. What would you say is the difference between the Jot 2 SE output and balanced besides power output?

I ask because I have a Asgard 3 and a Jot 2 on order. I am currently using a Asgard 3 mated with a Modius and Audeze LCD-XC 2021, which sound fantastic together. I EQ the LCD-XC to the point that the EQ is set at -15db (to avoid clipping) and the volume pot is often between 2 o'clock and 2:30pm. So basically the Jot 2 will give me more headroom. I am curious to know users opinions to give me an idea of what to expect from sonic differences between the two outputs.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,833 of 2,954
Well, I think it's fair if I share my impression to this thread too (and Singxer thread).

20211014_153732.jpg

It was fun comparison! Topping D90SE with XLR output feed Topping A90, Singxer SA-1, and Schiit Jotunheim 2

At that moment I tried with Abyss Diana Phi and Focal Clear MG.

All three amps are indeed excellent for the price.

Power: (Based on Gain and Watt)
1. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90
3. Singxer SA1

Note: Singxer is far from weak, it's just that Singxer provide the lowest gain (amplified factor). Singxer capable to push Diana with ease.

Treble:
1. Singxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

Most airy feeling, with most micro detail, Singxer take the crown here. The best part, Singxer is actually the most linear in treble area, high pitch of piano seems free of peak/harshness. A90 and Jotunheim 2 while less airy, but produce more peak in piano notes. Jotunheim is the darkest of the three with the least airy feeling as well. (Remember that these three amps still close to neutral, so don't imagine awful lack of treble quantity from Schiit).

Midrange:
1a. Singxer SA-1
1b. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90

Both singxer and schiit provide slight forward vocal with dense and full body tonality. While texture slight better with Singxer, Jotun provide slight fuller lower midrange. Sibilance is hard to heard, unless the recording produce much of them. Topping is a little drier in this section, with more laidback position. I'd give a nod to Topping if the extreme neutrality is your main concern. Personally, I chase natural more than neutral here.

Bass:
1a. Schiit Jotunheim 2
1b. Singxer SA-1
1c. Topping A90

Love them all! Jotunheim 2 produce biggest bass, Topping is the least, Singxer on the middle. Both three amps render bass texture nicely, deep down to sub bass level. Most impact goes to Jotunheim, while A90 and SA-1 share the same result.

Soundstage:
1. SIngxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

The airy feeling, combine with the actual soundstage size, make Singxer goes to the top. Not only the size, actually imaging also more structured on Singxer SA-1 compared the other amps. Schiit Jotunheim 2 definitely create the "narrowest" imaging here.

Conclusion:
Singxer SA-1 is still my most favourite amp for under $1000, very all round character with great micro detail and soundstage. Being neutral, but slight sweetness on vocal is blissful.

Schiit Jotunheim 2, punch the hardest, in expense of airy feeling and soundstage.

Topping A90, is most dead neutral, even when compared to other close to neutral amps.

Attachments

• 20211014_153732.jpg
    20211014_153732.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,834 of 2,954
Thanks for sharing. I suspected the Asgard 3 and SE output from a Jot 2 would be similar. What would you say is the difference between the Jot 2 SE output and balanced besides power output?

I ask because I have a Asgard 3 and a Jot 2 on order. I am currently using a Asgard 3 mated with a Modius and Audeze LCD-XC 2021, which sound fantastic together. I EQ the LCD-XC to the point that the EQ is set at -15db (to avoid clipping) and the volume pot is often between 2 o'clock and 2:30pm. So basically the Jot 2 will give me more headroom. I am curious to know users opinions to give me an idea of what to expect from sonic differences between the two outputs.

Thanks in advance!

To my ears the differences between the single-ended and balanced outputs depend quite a bit on the headphones. I have an older LCD-XC so I will try that and let you know what I find (i.e. hear).

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,835 of 2,954
To my ears the differences between the single-ended and balanced outputs depend quite a bit on the headphones. I have an older LCD-XC so I will try that and let you know what I find (i.e. hear).
Cool, thank you!

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,838 of 2,954
Cool, thank you!
Last night I tried the LCD-XC with the single-ended and balanced outputs, and to my ears the differences are audible. The balanced output has a bit tighter and more dynamic bass, a slightly more open midrange and a bit more energy in the treble. To be honest though, I didn't really like the LCD-XC with the Jotunheim 2 - the treble was a bit too sharp for me. However, I am very treble-sensitive - and I think that the 2021 version of the LCD-XC has a different tuning than mine, so your results may (and likely will) vary. Please let us know your impressions - it's fun to compare different people's impressions of the same equipment.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,839 of 2,954
Last night I tried the LCD-XC with the single-ended and balanced outputs, and to my ears the differences are audible. The balanced output has a bit tighter and more dynamic bass, a slightly more open midrange and a bit more energy in the treble. To be honest though, I didn't really like the LCD-XC with the Jotunheim 2 - the treble was a bit too sharp for me. However, I am very treble-sensitive - and I think that the 2021 version of the LCD-XC has a different tuning than mine, so your results may (and likely will) vary. Please let us know your impressions - it's fun to compare different people's impressions of the same equipment.
Thanks for trying the combo and sharing your impressions. I also am HF sensitive, although I EQ the LCD-XC so not that worried. Do you find the Jot 2 balanced more resolving than the SE output? When you say “more open midrange” can you please elaborate or be more specific?

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #1,840 of 2,954
Thanks for trying the combo and sharing your impressions. I also am HF sensitive, although I EQ the LCD-XC so not that worried. Do you find the Jot 2 balanced more resolving than the SE output? When you say “more open midrange” can you please elaborate or be more specific?
Yes, to my ears the balanced outputs are more resolving. I can hear more details and it feels like I'm hearing deeper into the recording.

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,841 of 2,954
Yes, to my ears the balanced outputs are more resolving. I can hear more details and it feels like I'm hearing deeper into the recording.
Thanks for sharing!

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #1,842 of 2,954
Does anyone know what Jot 2 is like with Hifiman Ananda?
Would it be a good pair? :beerchug:
Yes, The HifiMan Ananda pairs good with the Schiit Jotunheim 2. But, at the same price, the HifiMan HE6se V2 pairs even better with the Schiit Jotunheim 2.
IMG_1722.jpg

However, if you want a better amp for only $500 get the Rebel Audio RebelAmp. It pairs even better than the Schiit Jotunheim 2 with both the HifiMan Ananda and the Schiit HE6se V2.
IMG_1646.jpg

Edit: Even though I prefer the smooth RebelAmp, some might prefer the brighter Jotunheim 2.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,843 of 2,954
Anyone know what the Continuity "cutoff" is for the Jotunheim 2, for when it crosses into Class B? I believe the Asgard 3 it's 500mW, but I have never seen anything on the Jot 2. Just wondering is all :)

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,845 of 2,954
I have tried both the Jotunheim 1 and 2 with the LCD-2C, LCD-3, and LCD-24. The only headphone I liked with em was the LCD-2C because otherwise the amp is way too bright imo. Both amps seem to sound a little more detailed through the balanced output I have found. Almost no reason to use the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back