Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #1,816 of 2,937
There maybe some difference, but I really doubt I can pass an A/B test on Jot2 se and balanced. Anyways, I believe jot2 and lcd-xc will be a good pairing.
I like the pairing with the Asgard 3, just looking for a bit more dynamics and resolution. This is the reason I ordered the Jot 2 and Cardas Clear Light balanced cable. Hopefully was worth the upgrade cost LOL

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #1,817 of 2,937
I like the pairing with the Asgard 3, just looking for a bit more dynamics and resolution. This is the reason I ordered the Jot 2 and Cardas Clear Light balanced cable. Hopefully was worth the upgrade cost LOL
I reckon that's pretty much what you will get. As I mentioned earlier, stage is also expanded a bit more with the Jot2 Balanced. I think it can best be described as the extra "punch" from the Jot2 balanced that contributes to these differences.

There maybe some difference, but I really doubt I can pass an A/B test on Jot2 se and balanced. Anyways, I believe jot2 and lcd-xc will be a good pairing.
Bit of a bold statement on my part, but I'm pretty sure I could, as I've spent a bit of time quickly switching headphones back and forth. Especially with the LCD-2C and Empyrean, they really do reveal the differences. My SE and XLR cables are different between the 2, but I doubt the cable is contributing as much to the difference as the Jot2 balanced is doing.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #1,818 of 2,937
I reckon that's pretty much what you will get. As I mentioned earlier, stage is also expanded a bit more with the Jot2 Balanced. I think it can best be described as the extra "punch" from the Jot2 balanced that contributes to these differences.

Bit of a bold statement on my part, but I'm pretty sure I could, as I've spent a bit of time quickly switching headphones back and forth. Especially with the LCD-2C and Empyrean, they really do reveal the differences. My SE and XLR cables are different between the 2, but I doubt the cable is contributing as much to the difference as the Jot2 balanced is doing.
Appreciate the input. From everything I have read and reviews I have seen I think upgrading to Jot 2 and the Cardas cable will make a appreciable difference over the SE Asgard 3. Not sure it will be $700 difference that it is costing but we will see. I will say that burning in and listening to the Cardas Clear Light cable converted to SE for burn-in purposes has already improved the sonic reproduction vs stock LCD-XC cable. Now is just the wait for the Jot 2, Xmas maybe?

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,819 of 2,937
To my ears, set up, and taste, the Jot2's balance headphone output is a clear upgrade over the SE output. Pretty much all attributes are better on the balance output for me. Only one area I might give a slight nod to the SE output, is that its a bit warmer. Not that the balance output is cold or anything, but its more neutral in that respect. I think the common noise rejection from the balance circuit is just cleaner and quieter, blacker between the individual tracks within a song, so instruments and vocals are more separated within its own space, more delineated. But I can understand why some might prefer the warmth of the SE output.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,820 of 2,937
To my ears, set up, and taste, the Jot2's balance headphone output is a clear upgrade over the SE output. Pretty much all attributes are better on the balance output for me. Only one area I might give a slight nod to the SE output, is that its a bit warmer. Not that the balance output is cold or anything, but its more neutral in that respect. I think the common noise rejection from the balance circuit is just cleaner and quieter, blacker between the individual tracks within a song, so instruments and vocals are more separated within its own space, more delineated. But I can understand why some might prefer the warmth of the SE output.
Appreciate you sharing your experience. What you described is what I am hoping for between a Asgard 3 and. Jot 2, assuming they ever become available (have a Jot 2 ordered). I am also hoping for a bit more resolution.

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,821 of 2,937
I ignored some of the scepticism I've read about Schiit and picked up the Jot 2 + 4490 combo while it's on run-out and... man do I regret it.

The amp stage is really nice, but the DAC has a huge ground hum if anything is using it, and worse yet, just having something connected causes the hum to come through when the source is the RCA or XLR, as well. I'm bemused how their QA could have let that ship.

What's worse is that to get it looked at, I'm shipping it internationally, which is costing me close to $300 on top of the purchase price.

A really, really lousy experience, and the promise of "good at an affordable price" has turned into "faulty at an astronomical price". Perhaps they're a great buy if you're in the mainland US, but I would recommend you stay well away otherwise.
Try this. https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,823 of 2,937
Is Schiit running at the 6-8 weeks that it states on their website currently? I am just jonesing for my order to be fulfilled. Passing the time with a THX amp, but just want to set up the "forever" stack already.
I'd say Schiit's being realistic. They are obviously going to do their best to beat the posted schedule, but with things being what they are, I wouldn't hold your breath. If the deities are smiling on you, you might get lucky and see it shortened by a week. That was my case when I got my Jot 2 and BF 2. Just be thankful you're not relegated to listen to AM talk radio or FM pop! :relaxed:

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,825 of 2,937
Usually Schiit pays for the shipping back to them if its a defective item, at least that's what happened to me but I do live in the US. Not sure if international orders are the same. Did you check with Schiit to see if they would cover the shipping cost back to them or at least half the cost?
US native. I've sent back 2 items to Schiit, within months of purchase (in the first year). Asked for return postage. No joy.

Maybe in the first 30 days?

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #1,826 of 2,937
US native. I've sent back 2 items to Schiit, within months of purchase (in the first year). Asked for return postage. No joy.

Maybe in the first 30 days?
Probably should have clarified. I received a defective item and it was within the 15 day trial period. Schiit provided me free return shipping back to them.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,827 of 2,937
In today’s review we’re taking a look at the Jotunheim 2 on Headfonia. An article by @Mightygrey who is even giving it our Recommended Buy Award!

"In terms of flexibility, convenience and outright sound quality, he finds it an absolute winner for the format-agnostic audiophile"

https://www.headfonia.com/schiit-audio-jotunheim-2-review/

Schiit Audio Jottunheim 2b.jpg

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,828 of 2,937
One thing I just realized on the Jot 2 is the front input switch is for SE input or Balanced. If I am coming from a Bifrost 2 and wanted to connect my active speakers through XLR and a sub through RCA it’s not going to output at the same time to both is it?

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,829 of 2,937
One thing I just realized on the Jot 2 is the front input switch is for SE input or Balanced. If I am coming from a Bifrost 2 and wanted to connect my active speakers through XLR and a sub through RCA it’s not going to output at the same time to both is it?
Afaik, the Jot outputs through both XLR and RCA at the same time.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #1,830 of 2,937
Jot 2 left-most three-position front panel switch selects between SE, XLR, and internal module (e.g. DAC, phono) inputs. same output appears on both headphone jacks, the SE out, and the XLR out (both the 4-pin front panel headphone and 3-pin rear pre-out XLR's are true-balanced signals with both phases active) so active speakers on XLR pre-out and sub on SE pre-out is OK.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back