Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #2,941 of 2,952
I got my Yggy GS2 several months ago when they were first offered for sale. Huge improvement over the BF 2/64 (which is a really great DAC itself). I just realized this morning that I've not listened to my Jot 2 even once with Yggy. Doing that right now, and I have to tell you that I'm blown away. Paired with the Yggy, the Jot 2 is an incredible sounding amp punching way above its price. Oh my!

YMMV

Leo
I'm on the other end of the spectrum with my trusty AresII DAC and Jot 2 and I'm equally satisfied so I can only imagine what the Yggy does...

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #2,942 of 2,952
I've got a strange situation with Jotunheim R version amp. It's in local audio service for voltage change and power toggle switch change. Now the electricity comes to JotR, but no sound can be heard with Raal Ca-1a's. The audio service guys and I are quite astonished of this. Any ideas of the possible reason for this "no sound" sit. would be most wellcome!

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #2,943 of 2,952
I've got a strange situation with Jotunheim R version amp. It's in local audio service for voltage change and power toggle switch change. Now the electricity comes to JotR, but no sound can be heard with Raal Ca-1a's. The audio service guys and I are quite astonished of this. Any ideas of the possible reason for this "no sound" sit. would be most wellcome!
The obvious question, did the amp function properly "before" it went to the shop?

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #2,944 of 2,952
The obvious question, did the amp function properly "before" it went to the shop?
I bought JotR from an U.S private seller, who told me that he tested it working before sending.
I first tried voltage change with a voltage transformer and an adapter. I didn't anyhow first realize that the power toggle switch wasn't ok, electricity came through to the JotR metal cover and I got an electric shock. In this stage the amp was silent and dark.
Audio service made voltage change 110v-230v and changed the toggle switch. After this first repair JotR was still silent and dark although the audio service believed that they haddone what I had asked them to do. Now they've got the electricity working, but JotR is still silent with Raal Ca1a, which I lended them for monitoring. This is quite odd!?

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #2,945 of 2,952
I bought JotR from an U.S private seller, who told me that he tested it working before sending.
I first tried voltage change with a voltage transformer and an adapter. I didn't anyhow first realize that the power toggle switch wasn't ok, electricity came through to the JotR metal cover and I got an electric shock. In this stage the amp was silent and dark.
Audio service made voltage change 110v-230v and changed the toggle switch. After this first repair JotR was still silent and dark although the audio service believed that they haddone what I had asked them to do. Now they've got the electricity working, but JotR is still silent with Raal Ca1a, which I lended them for monitoring. This is quite odd!?
If I understand what you wrote, you do not know if the amp worked properly before you sent it to the repair shop. It is possible the person that sold it to you “tested” the amp by seeing if it turned on.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #2,946 of 2,952
If I understand what you wrote, you do not know if the amp worked properly before you sent it to the repair shop. It is possible the person that sold it to you “tested” the amp by seeing if it turned on.
I don't know, but I'd prefer thinking it was ok. I just wonder, if someone recognizes this power on-no sound situation. Could it be the time relay, contact to headphone cable adaptor and so on. What could prohibit the sound signal to headphones? I can send the amp back, but all the expenses are quite high till now. I hope it could be repaired.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #2,947 of 2,952
I don't know, but I'd prefer thinking it was ok. I just wonder, if someone recognizes this power on-no sound situation. Could it be the time relay, contact to headphone cable adaptor and so on. What could prohibit the sound signal to headphones? I can send the amp back, but all the expenses are quite high till now. I hope it could be repaired.
You will have to troubleshoot, may not be a problem with your amp. This is what I would do:

1st) Assume nothing. Make sure the source (DAC or integrated) is outputting a signal. Test source on another amp.

2nd) Make sure there are no issues with the headphones, cable and any adapters you are using. If you have a different amp you can test them with would be best.

3rd) Assuming a different amp works just fine with the source gear, hook up the same headphones that you know work with the Jot to source. Make sure you are using interconnects that you know are functioning properly.

4th) if still no sound at this point and you know the Jot is switched to look at an external DAC/source and not internal, is powered on, then you likely have an issue with the amp. Obviously make sure the source is sending a signal.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #2,948 of 2,952
You will have to troubleshoot, may not be a problem with your amp. This is what I would do:

1st) Assume nothing. Make sure the source (DAC or integrated) is outputting a signal. Test source on another amp.

2nd) Make sure there are no issues with the headphones, cable and any adapters you are using. If you have a different amp you can test them with would be best.

3rd) Assuming a different amp works just fine with the source gear, hook up the same headphones that you know work with the Jot to source. Make sure you are using interconnects that you know are functioning properly.

4th) if still no sound at this point and you know the Jot is switched to look at an external DAC/source and not internal, is powered on, then you likely have an issue with the amp. Obviously make sure the source is sending a signal.
Thanks! I'm afraid the audio service guys are now in point where they are trying to exclude possible reasons, one after another. I was hoping there's a small chance that someone in this thread recognizes the problem and could point out some possible, even propable reasons for this kind of problem. Who knows. I'm also prepared to a solution that there's no sense to continue further. My JotR is anyhow used and a reasonably priced amp. It's frustrating, of course, to have (and pay) audio services and other expences in vain. But maybe we succeed and I get a chance to hear Raal Ca-1a's with JotR.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #2,949 of 2,952
Thanks! I'm afraid the audio service guys are now in point where they are trying to exclude possible reasons, one after another. I was hoping there's a small chance that someone in this thread recognizes the problem and could point out some possible, even propable reasons for this kind of problem. Who knows. I'm also prepared to a solution that there's no sense to continue further. My JotR is anyhow used and a reasonably priced amp. It's frustrating, of course, to have (and pay) audio services and other expences in vain. But maybe we succeed and I get a chance to hear Raal Ca-1a's with JotR.
A few things to check:

Purchase inexpensive (12-20 USD) AC watt/ power meter, measure AC power draw (keep audio inputs / outputs disconnected)— expecting 8 to 20W, Power Factor PF ~0.65 or so. There should also be a (faint) audible click from the unit when power-on muting circuit activates ~15 seconds after applying power and turning unit on

IIRC, preamp on JotR is passive (most of their other HP amps have active pre out). Connect AC power & audio source, enable preamp output via front panel switch, and connect another amplifier to rear-panel preamp outputs. A signal present at pre-amp outs, means that input and front panel switches are configured for respective input. Try testing both xlr bal & single-ended rca inputs.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #2,950 of 2,952
Do the Raals work with another amp?

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #2,952 of 2,952
A few things to check:

Purchase inexpensive (12-20 USD) AC watt/ power meter, measure AC power draw (keep audio inputs / outputs disconnected)— expecting 8 to 20W, Power Factor PF ~0.65 or so. There should also be a (faint) audible click from the unit when power-on muting circuit activates ~15 seconds after applying power and turning unit on

IIRC, preamp on JotR is passive (most of their other HP amps have active pre out). Connect AC power & audio source, enable preamp output via front panel switch, and connect another amplifier to rear-panel preamp outputs. A signal present at pre-amp outs, means that input and front panel switches are configured for respective input. Try testing both xlr bal & single-ended rca inputs.
Thanks! I try to mediate this info to the audio service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back