Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
Jun 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #76 of 224
  The Ember's design isn't as solid as the Lyr. It doesn't give full plate voltage to tubes which can introduce higher order distortion along with other problems.

yup

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #77 of 224
  The Ember's design isn't as solid as the Lyr. It doesn't give full plate voltage to tubes which can introduce higher order distortion along with other problems.

Doesn't that mean it would have more tubey sound then? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #78 of 224

Doesn't that mean it would have more tubey sound then? 
biggrin.gif

No, second order harmonics are pleasent, when you get intoi 4'th and higher it stops sounding "good" and higher order odd harmonics are even worse sounding 

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #79 of 224
  No, second order harmonics are pleasent, when you get intoi 4'th and higher it stops sounding "good" and higher order odd harmonics are even worse sounding 

Understood.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #80 of 224

Sounds like a starved plate design with roughly 1/4 of the plate voltage that the Lyr uses as far as I can tell.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #82 of 224
  Exactly, and on top of that it uses an OP-Amp based current gain stage. Nothing against OP-Amps just in a ~$350 amp I would prefer that it be discreet.

wow I really enjoy learning from folks that have the "under the hood" design (power, component) knowledge!
great to read.

never owned an Ember myself.

Had the original Lyr for less than a year, liked the sound.  didn't like the noise floor, or the expense of "really good" NOS matched pair tubes. or the "mohr power" all the time.
new Lyr2 has me back on the edge of entering tube world one day.  if the HE-560 or HE-400i are ever ordered....

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #83 of 224
Just got my Lyr 2, it sounds divine. Using my Bifrost until Schiit comes out with a tube DAC to match the Lyr.

I upgraded from the original Asgard. What is amazing about this amp is that I do not have to switch the cables when I want to listen to the Adam A3x's. Bonus, I can actually turn the volume knob on the Adams' up to 12 o'clock position, a substantial improvement from the 7 o'clock position, and use the larger button on the Lyr2. This gives me much more range than the previous two settings of "way too soft" or "way too loud".  

I cannot discount the feeling I get for seeing larger dial settings, on both the Adams' and the Lyr. Hell, I paid a lot for these, I need to get the most out of them.

Regarding the sound, I do not think that I can add anything that hasn't already been said by Sir Eton Hogg. 

I am off to spin up the MOSSFEETS and plug in my Grado 325si headphones and rock to some Winger.  

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #85 of 224
  Have you tried rolling tubes it it yet? I wonder if the Amperex Orange Globes are still good in it.

If this was targeted to me, I have no plans on tube rolling. Or cable testing, shamanic dancing, or cryogenic cooling to try and improve what already sounds great. There is no way I can compare the Asgard vs. the Lyr 2 other than vague, subjective terms, let alone comparing cables or tubes.  I am at the point where I try and simply enjoy the music, and the chase of discovering the best recordings of my favorite music.   

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #86 of 224
Come on Wyrd... After one night of listening to my new Gungnir, I've discovered I really need Wyrd. I had previously been using optical so the USB noise is new to me...

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #87 of 224

If this was targeted to me, I have no plans on tube rolling. Or cable testing, shamanic dancing, or cryogenic cooling to try and improve what already sounds great. There is no way I can compare the Asgard vs. the Lyr 2 other than vague, subjective terms, let alone comparing cables or tubes.  I am at the point where I try and simply enjoy the music, and the chase of discovering the best recordings of my favorite music.   

Amen Brother! After all is said and done, this hobby should be about enjoying the music, rather than obsessing about the gear.
beerchug.gif

Best,

Leonel

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #88 of 224

I like this guy!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back