Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #153,121 of 155,176
I missed this...

"Doug Ingle, who co-founded the heavy rock band Iron Butterfly and was the singer and organist on songs including their signature hit, “In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida,” died Friday at age 78. He was the last surviving member of the classic lineup from the late 1960s."

☹️
Bummer. :sob: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was maybe the first album I bought with my own money.

May 26, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #153,122 of 155,176
Not in my experience at all in any way whatsoever… are you thinking of Bookers ,perhaps?
I could see how maybe just because it's a 23 year, it might be thought of as smoky and oaky. But I'm just guessing as I'll likely never know how the 23 Year tastes...

May 26, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #153,123 of 155,176
Chalk 3 units to me, easy enough, first time soldering surface mount items and went together easy.
Nice! And they apparently sound pretty decent. Would be a fun new skill to learn if I had the space and monies for the equipment.

May 26, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #153,124 of 155,176
At live classical concerts, unless I'm sitting in the first few rows, if I close my eyes I can only point in the general direction of a solo player. The origin of the sound is quite diffuse and there is no "holographic soundstage" that audiophiles talk about. I've never listened to a Bose 901 but being able to point to a solo player is not necessarily "realistic" sound.
Very true. Still I love a very precise soundstage when I am listening at home. I guess we should say that we strive to get a "realistic-ish experience", where a pinpoint imaging has to make up for the lack of visual experience.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #153,125 of 155,176
Bummer. :sob: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was maybe the first album I bought with my own money.
Roommates and I snuck into the concert toward the end, heard the entire song, and left. 😁

May 26, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #153,126 of 155,176
Very true. Still I love a very precise soundstage when I am listening at home. I guess we should say that strive to get a "realistic-ish experience", where a pinpoint imaging has to make up for the lack of visual experience.
I think I have been insufficiently precise. I don’t pretend that one can point exactly to a precise, needle sharp “image” of an individual member of the orchestra. In fact, I find overly “precise”/sharp imaging (as in most dynamic speakers I’ve experienced), to be less convincing for symphonic music well recorded. Far better than Bose ever was or will be, of course. But a realistic soundstage - to me YMMV - can be achieved with planars. There, on the best recordings, I can know very well were instrumentalists “are” (no, not to inches, but angularly and in depth/height location in general 3d space).

Again, Bose’s intent was the complete and utter destruction of a concept of precise (ha!) imaging, or realistic (ha!) soundstage… Todd Rundgren’s “Wall of Sound”, anyone? (That said, in college we’d be known to get a bit baked, and then go visit the local dealer that had them on display for listening and sale. PF Wish you were here - Bose/Baked experience… - ton’s of grins).

So for me, the net is:
1) I love precise imaging on those few recordings that do it very well (anyone ever hear the rotational 3-d angled figure 8 in Kraftwerk’s Tour du France when the bicycle derailleur sound kicks in? Epic if/when you can/do… My Vandersteens were epic at those kinda feats… My stand mount Paradigm Reference 20’s as well; image like a champ…
2) But, to me symphonic orchestra and acoustic jazz sound most “real” on planars… I settled on Apogees, other friends on Maggies, or Martin Logans.

I always tried to get Row 8 - 15 and as close to center as possible for the symphonies I attended; the further back, the less the ability to “generally locate instrumentalists in space”. (Not always, things like Piccolo “pierced through” the distance in fascinating ways even in very big halls!)

So my system, not surprisingly is optimized to try and sound like Row 8ish. This might just be why the introduction of Yggy earlier this month has made such a dramatic improvement on my digital side of the house. I said earlier it made digital sound like music finally (to me). THAT is the characteristic it brought back, the row 8 perspective and soundstage.

So, Planars are great…

But they are harsh mistresses:
1. No particularly cheap
2. Need the right (bigger, and rectangularly symmetrical are both better)
3. Don’t have the deepest/punchiest 20-40Hz region, unless you “amp up” #1 and #2 above… I’m getting a useable 34 Hz in my current (final) room, which is the best ever with them.

May 26, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #153,127 of 155,176
I think I have been insufficiently precise. I don’t pretend that one can point exactly to a precise, needle sharp “image” of an individual member of the orchestra. In fact, I find overly “precise”/sharp imaging (as in most dynamic speakers I’ve experienced), to be less convincing for symphonic music well recorded. Far better than Bose ever was or will be, of course. But a realistic soundstage - to me YMMV - can be achieved with planars. There, on the best recordings, I can know very well were instrumentalists “are” (no, not to inches, but angularly and in depth/height location in general 3d space).

Again, Bose’s intent was the complete and utter destruction of a concept of precise (ha!) imaging, or realistic (ha!) soundstage… Todd Rundgren’s “Wall of Sound”, anyone? (That said, in college we’d be known to get a bit baked, and then go visit the local dealer that had them on display for listening and sale. PF Wish you were here - Bose/Baked experience… - ton’s of grins).

So for me, the net is:
1) I love precise imaging on those few recordings that do it very well (anyone ever hear the rotational 3-d angled figure 8 in Kraftwerk’s Tour du France when the bicycle derailleur sound kicks in? Epic if/when you can/do… My Vandersteens were epic at those kinda feats… My stand mount Paradigm Reference 20’s as well; image like a champ…
2) But, to me symphonic orchestra and acoustic jazz sound most “real” on planars… I settled on Apogees, other friends on Maggies, or Martin Logans.

I always tried to get Row 8 - 15 and as close to center as possible for the symphonies I attended; the further back, the less the ability to “generally locate instrumentalists in space”. (Not always, things like Piccolo “pierced through” the distance in fascinating ways even in very big halls!)

So my system, not surprisingly is optimized to try and sound like Row 8ish. This might just be why the introduction of Yggy earlier this month has made such a dramatic improvement on my digital side of the house. I said earlier it made digital sound like music finally (to me). THAT is the characteristic it brought back, the row 8 perspective and soundstage.

So, Planars are great…

But they are harsh mistresses:
1. No particularly cheap
2. Need the right (bigger, and rectangularly symmetrical are both better)
3. Don’t have the deepest/punchiest 20-40Hz region, unless you “amp up” #1 and #2 above… I’m getting a useable 34 Hz in my current (final) room, which is the best ever with them.
I have heard the three brands of planars you mentioned in a very well planned environment and the Apogees impressed me the most. The range did bother me a bit and they would not have worked well in my listening space so I chose Sonus Fabers. Price has never been much of a factor for me, friends in the industry have always helped with my speaker acquisition as well as friends on here. 🤪 In the case of Paradigm and Klipsch I have never so much as paid for shipping. I have helped design speakers so In some cases I traded labor. I do less of that now, your speaker terminal insulators are an exception.😀 Oh and I traded bourbon for the nine speakers in my surround sound setup, soon to be a 5.1 system if the Kraken can drive those speakers.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #153,128 of 155,176
A Vali 3 is a great way to start.😃
Strange as it may seem I am not a HP listener, I'm just here for the Schiit talk! Although in fairness I spent a good deal of time in the friendly skies yesterday with my Sony noise cancelling phones, but that is a mission specific usage. Otherwise I prefer speakers and music in a room.

I have owned tube gear in the past- a Dynaco PAS 3 + Stereo 70 I took in trade when I was in audio retail in the 80's, and a Freya that I sold to a friend. I seem to be less interested these days in futzing with gear than being able to listen to music.

Plus I have a particular need in a Preamp- a balance control. A good measure of my listening is the Good Old Grateful Dead, and even with their official live releases the sound field sometimes/often requires just a touch of rebalancing to be heard as just exactly perfect. I was fortunate earlier this year to purchase an end game Pre that, unbeknownst to me when I found one for "you must accept this gift from the Universe" pricing, had just gone out of production. It's a Bryston BP-26, after a week or so of settling in my jaw dropped and my ears rejoiced, and the balance control is beautifully calibrated. So I am quite content, though my wallet is still in recovery (and dreading the pair of Tyr's that I really, really want). :smiley_cat:

May 26, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #153,129 of 155,176
May 26, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #153,130 of 155,176
If you were to be described in one word I'm sure that word must be 'humble'.

:beerchug:
JC
ROTFLMAO! I was thinking of a two-word phrase that started with "Obnoxious...". :p

May 26, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #153,131 of 155,176
Strange as it may seem I am not a HP listener, I'm just here for the Schiit talk! Although in fairness I spent a good deal of time in the friendly skies yesterday with my Sony noise cancelling phones, but that is a mission specific usage. Otherwise I prefer speakers and music in a room.

I have owned tube gear in the past- a Dynaco PAS 3 + Stereo 70 I took in trade when I was in audio retail in the 80's, and a Freya that I sold to a friend. I seem to be less interested these days in futzing with gear than being able to listen to music.

Plus I have a particular need in a Preamp- a balance control. A good measure of my listening is the Good Old Grateful Dead, and even with their official live releases the sound field sometimes/often requires just a touch of rebalancing to be heard as just exactly perfect. I was fortunate earlier this year to purchase an end game Pre that, unbeknownst to me when I found one for "you must accept this gift from the Universe" pricing, had just gone out of production. It's a Bryston BP-26, after a week or so of settling in my jaw dropped and my ears rejoiced, and the balance control is beautifully calibrated. So I am quite content, though my wallet is still in recovery (and dreading the pair of Tyr's that I really, really want). :smiley_cat:
Instead of a balance control I used individual pots for each channel on my own headphone amps. I do not have that luxury on my PrimaLuna but I certainly know of that which you speak.😁

May 26, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #153,132 of 155,176
May 26, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #153,133 of 155,176
ROTFLMAO! I was thinking of a two-word phrase that started with "Obnoxious...". :p
Jealousy rears its ugly head yet again.

I can live with obnoxiously humble or obnoxiously handsome if one prefers. :wink:

** OK. Enough is enough. I've stoked my ego enough to carry me through next week. :D

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #153,134 of 155,176
It was with some trepidation that I brought this glass, my first sip of whiskey in over a week after struggling through Covid, to my lips this evening. I have had friends and have heard of others who completely lost their taste for bourbon or other whiskies after having Covid, and since it is literally my job to taste through barrels to make Single Barrel selections, the thought of that happening to me was honestly terrifying.

Joyously, not only did it taste just like the OSD Straight Bourbon that I and many of you fine fellers know and love, it tasted amazing! [Insert massive exhalation]

Not pictured: Maxim Vengerov blazing a blistering path through Shostakovich's Second Violin Concerto with Rostropovich conducting. Wondrous fiddling skills.

IMG_7474.jpeg
So glad to hear you've recovered.

What kind of glass is that? A special master distiller tasting glass?

May 26, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #153,135 of 155,176
Nice! And they apparently sound pretty decent. Would be a fun new skill to learn if I had the space and monies for the equipment.
My hand tremors prevented me from building one (or the BHC kit I sold recently), however @Paladin79 came to the rescue with a wonderful little coaster amp and a custom holder atop of a custom dual HP stand. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back