Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #153,062 of 155,210
Well the triple mica 5 star GE 5760 is a WINNER for sure.
THE ADX 5000's are very light compared to many cans.
420 Ohm impedance.
But easy to drive.
Old school dynamic drivers.
Pricey for dynamics...$1999. Ouch for a dynamic.
ASX has done magic with these cans.
Very light open airy and matches the Vali 3 nicely.
Great for light jazz, live settings...
Wonderful open realistic presentation.
Not closed in at all...

All with a $149 amp!! LOL!
Well there is a rather costly dac behind this as well...

Alex
That is my second favorite 5670 and once again a bargain. I have only tried five or six though. Try $5k for Dynamics with a $1400 cable lol.
Great bass!
Hand claps in Birds...
Sweet..
Kick drum in Home...excellent.
Rim shots in Rise...Sweet.
This is an excellent well, mic'd, well mastered album.
Alex
And that voice!!!!! I could be using a better DAC, I totally agree this is quite the $149 amp. Total silence between the slower vocals.

May 25, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #153,063 of 155,210
Ohhhh... Martin Denny! I listened to "Quiet Village" many times as a kid. My mom and dad had a wall-mount Sylvania AM-FM-Phono system with a swing-down record changer. We listened to music every night at bed-time... probably the reason that I'm so into music today.

When I was half as old as I am today, I was in a bar in Seattle one evening (on a trip to visit Boeing). The band playing that night was doing a "guess the song and artist" thing. They played the first measure of "Quiet Village" and I called it. I think that the bandleader is still trying to figure out how I knew that. :wink:
Great post Don.
I own the lp in that post along with Vol I, II and a few of his other albums too.
Martin Denny (RIP) was one of the kings of Exotica along with Les Baxter.

May 25, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #153,064 of 155,210
Ok I just went from a 12AU7 Westinghouse, to a WE 396A, then to a 6sn7 equivalent 1955 Melz 1578. I could be wrong but I believe @adydula mentioned loving 12AU7's in the Vali 3. If so I am very close to agreeing, the Melz has an airiness to it that is hard to top. Some tubes to me seem to have a treble ceiling and with the Melz there are no restrictions IMHO. I would probably give the edge to the Melz but I love the 12AU7 for different reasons.

May 25, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #153,065 of 155,210
Oddly enough, I just rolled in the Lansdale BRZ 12AU7. Loving what I'm hearing.

** Great music recommendation, BTW

May 25, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #153,067 of 155,210
Some of these 12XXX tubes might be called real price performers!
:>)
Alex
I need to go back and listen to some of the 12AU7's I loaned you lol. I got busy with other types and got sidetracked. :beerchug: I was a little reluctant to accept a Vali 3 but it is a very entertaining little amp and I would recommend it to anyone regardless of their gear. Knowing there are some $25 to $35 tubes that sound incredible should help those folks on the fence.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #153,068 of 155,210
Found this: YMMV.

1716673139124.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #153,069 of 155,210
May 25, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #153,070 of 155,210
I am so tempted, but it will be $300 Canadian by the time it arrives.

May 25, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #153,071 of 155,210
Whenever I'm right and someone else is wrong, I never argue. A mind changed against its will of the same opinion still. (Or something like that.)
You mean this has actually happened? Or are you just coming up with 'what-if' scenarios? 🤣 🤣

May 25, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #153,072 of 155,210
I generally celebrate with 21 year old Balvenie scotch, I believe it is around $300 a bottle but it has always been given to me by employees or friends. I tend to trade for higher priced bourbons but many of those are $175 or less. I play the stock market a lot and I would much rather get 15-25% dividends on some stocks and decent returns on others. My labors have produced enough cash to buy a SYN and Kraken but to me that is found money for fun items.🤪
Precisely. I’ve a weakness for Midleton Irish Whiskey… not cheap - usually mid $150ish… It’s celebratory only. I make those kinda bottles last for years (usually; when I had to move back from 4 years in Texas, several of the “celebratory” ones that were “low” needed drainin’/…)

But $x 100 is way, WAY different than $x 1000…

Sorta like $2.5K DACS versus say $25K ones… worth it? No thanks, not in MY personal universe. But hey, for those who can… go for it

May 25, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #153,073 of 155,210
Precisely. I’ve a weakness for Midleton Irish Whiskey… not cheap - usually mid $150ish… It’s celebratory only. I make those kinda bottles last for years (usually; when I had to move back from 4 years in Texas, several of the “celebratory” ones that were “low” needed drainin’/…)

But $x 100 is way, WAY different than $x 1000…

Sorta like $2.5K DACS versus say $25K ones… worth it? No thanks, not in MY personal universe. But hey, for those who can… go for it
There are plenty of wonderful DACs in the $2-$7k range according to my group results.😜

May 25, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #153,074 of 155,210
And keep the water supply flowing ... remember the post by @Bowmoreman regarding the aquifer?
Yeah so we rented in Wimberley (October 2018 to April 2022). It was interesting following the aquifer situation. Texas’ water laws are, um, rather non-existent. Seems that if one owns the land, one can pump unlimited water up from under it, with NO consideration of underwater aquifers. This has - at first - hugely impacted Jacobs Well, an unusual and (used to be) high-volume under-pressure well (times it would pump a 10 foot diameter column up over 5-6 feet STATIC level (think about that). When we were first there, it had slowed to where pebbles sank kinda very slowly - surreal actually. Now, at times it STOPS. Just like the neighbors in the neighborhood we lived in (River Oaks, just west of Wimberley), where some of their wells have now run dry.

The reason? Private companies have bought land in morsels just IN the Edwards Aquifer, and pump like made -= for the exploding population of Hays County (San Marcos and environs)… As earlier folks have posted, it is now strip mall urban sprawl almost entire way from Austin to San Antonio.

I won’t go into the politics. But, frankly, unless one is financially able to put in a full rainwater system, one is playing on VERY borrowed time. But what do I know, I grew up in Arizona

May 25, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #153,075 of 155,210
You win! I could not get one going till I found a discrepancy in the BOM and schematic. I may have had the first working model outside of Schiit and I solved it by asking Jason for a photograph of his working model.🤪 Coasters are still for sale. Also called a Vali mini as best I recall.
I've always wondered how many people have successfully made one of those coaster amps. The idea is intriguing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back