Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #153,046 of 155,166
The Liberty Records label from the late 50's is one of my favorites
Ohhhh... Martin Denny! I listened to "Quiet Village" many times as a kid. My mom and dad had a wall-mount Sylvania AM-FM-Phono system with a swing-down record changer. We listened to music every night at bed-time... probably the reason that I'm so into music today.

When I was half as old as I am today, I was in a bar in Seattle one evening (on a trip to visit Boeing). The band playing that night was doing a "guess the song and artist" thing. They played the first measure of "Quiet Village" and I called it. I think that the bandleader is still trying to figure out how I knew that. :wink:

May 25, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #153,048 of 155,166
I'll have to agree to disagree with him on that one. Strongly.
There are plenty of people with lots of opinions but at the end of the day I know what is best for me, and for @bcowen though he rarely admits it.😜

May 25, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #153,049 of 155,166
Whenever I'm right and someone else is wrong, I never argue. A mind changed against its will is of the same opinion still. (Or something like that.)

** I thought I was wrong once, but I found out later I was mistaken. :wink:

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #153,050 of 155,166
Time to kick back back and take it easy, landscaping is half way done. Time for a cold beer and to listen to a Westinghouse tube or two. I tried a couple music selection and was less than in awe of this tube, then I went to this album. OMG, sometimes the human voice when it is this incredible tells me all I need to know. @adydula try this with a Westinghouse!

Nameless is the album...

I do not recommend albums often but I adore this one, that voice!!!

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #153,051 of 155,166
Whenever I'm right and someone else is wrong, I never argue. A mind changed against its will of the same opinion still. (Or something like that.)

** I thought I was wrong once, but I found out later I was mistaken. :wink:

If you were to be described in one word I'm sure that word must be 'humble'.

:beerchug:
JC

May 25, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #153,052 of 155,166
Time to kick back back and take it easy, landscaping is half way done. Time for a cold beer and to listen to a Westinghouse tube or two. I tried a couple music selection and was less than in awe of this tube, then I went to this album. OMG, sometimes the human voice when it is this incredible tells me all I need to know. @adydula try this with a Westinghouse!

Nameless is the album...

Amazing on how the source can influence / impact the listening experience!
I will listen to this shortly!
Just got home...
Have a triplr mica GE 5360 , 5 Star tube just warming up in Vali 3
Pulled out my ADX 5000's...what I call the HD 800 the way they should have been!! lol!

Alex

May 25, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #153,053 of 155,166
Just got home...
Pulled out my ADX 5000's...what I call the HD 800 the way they should have been!! lol!

Alex
lol I mentioned your name as you PM’d me. Great standup bass on this album too, this tube is impressive.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #153,054 of 155,166
If you were to be described in one word I'm sure that word must be 'humble'.

:beerchug:
JC
Thank you. I find that alternating humble and handsome works equally as well. Combining the two is a bonus. :smirk:

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #153,055 of 155,166
An early posting as I may be doing some cable management, record cleaning, etc., into the evening.

Someone mentioned Dave Holland and another of his recordings was on my curated list of recommendations so I thought I'd just run with it. Dave Holland is a prolific musician with many solo and collaborative recordings. It's hard to find an endeavor I don't like, whether a trio, quartet, or quintet -- it's all great and brings something new. I like this one and I hope you enjoy it too!!

Tonight's Jazz recommendation is...

JazzReco-17.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #153,056 of 155,166
Just got home...

Alex
This album covers most criteria I listen for when judging gear. That rarely happens and I own some albums. I hope many of you will take the time to listen and offer opinions.

May 25, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #153,057 of 155,166
MJ3 is an amazing preamplifier into my stereo OG Aegir driving loudspeakers, so... no. You are not crazy.

I use it as a preamp into either my OG Aegir or OG Vidar. They're both driving speakers, though.

I think that the MJ3 makes a fine preamp. With the right music it can create a HUGE soundstage, even with my favourite FM station as the source.
What kind of cabling would I need to hook up my headphones to a Vidar?

May 25, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #153,058 of 155,166
Well the triple mica 5 star GE 5760 is a WINNER for sure.
THE ADX 5000's are very light compared to many cans.
420 Ohm impedance.
But easy to drive.
Old school dynamic drivers.
Pricey for dynamics...$1999. Ouch for a dynamic.
ADX has done magic with these cans.
Very light open airy and matches the Vali 3 nicely.
Great for light jazz, live settings...
Wonderful open realistic presentation.
Not closed in at all...

All with a $149 amp!! LOL!
Well there is a rather costly dac behind this as well...

Alex

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #153,060 of 155,166
This album covers most criteria I listen for when judging gear. That rarely happens and I own some albums. I hope many of you will take the time to listen and offer opinions.
Great bass!
Hand claps in Birds...
Sweet..
Kick drum in Home...excellent.
Rim shots in Rise...Sweet.
This is an excellent well, mic'd, well mastered album.
Alex

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back