Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #152,746 of 155,148
The mat was discontinued around 2010 and was first introduced in, if I recall, the early 90's
I used to sell them at the shop I worked at.
I think the sheets are still available.
Yeah I am talking about a Schiit product.

May 23, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #152,747 of 155,148
That was the coaster amp because the little tubes were prone to ringing. The one I assembled rings in one channel at about 7KHz. I wasn't about to buy any sorbothane, but I did consider those gel type window decorations as a substitute.
The early tube rings would melt and glue themselves to the hot glass.
Messy.
Later rings were made from a totally different material.
Not messy.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #152,748 of 155,148
No, he's got it right, Towel Day always falls on the Glorious 25th Of May. It's also Geek Pride Day, of course.
One of our granddaughters ready to celebrate Geek Pride Day back in 2017.
Aah the memories ... and, she has grown up to be a real geek!

Anya the Geek 2017.JPG

May 23, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #152,750 of 155,148
That was the coaster amp because the little tubes were prone to ringing. The one I assembled rings in one channel at about 7KHz. I wasn't about to buy any sorbothane, but I did consider those gel type window decorations as a substitute.
You win! I could not get one going till I found a discrepancy in the BOM and schematic. I may have had the first working model outside of Schiit and I solved it by asking Jason for a photograph of his working model.🤪 Coasters are still for sale. Also called a Vali mini as best I recall.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #152,752 of 155,148
The early tube rings would melt and glue themselves to the hot glass.
Messy.
Later rings were made from a totally different material.
Not messy.

Those 6418 tubes don't even get warm. The heater voltage is 1.25 volts. Schematic here.

May 23, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #152,753 of 155,148
Tangerine Dream: I got to see TD perform at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco back in the late 1980's. At one point, Edgar Froese addressed the audience and said something to the effect of "people think we are not musicians but are computer programmers" and then a baby grand piano was wheeled onto the stage. He sat and performed 10 minutes of Chopin and Mozart for the audience, to wild cheers. Then he returned to his bank of synthesizers, and they finished the show. :)

May 23, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #152,754 of 155,148
Unfortunately Cowgirl Creamery have closed their retail shops (Ferry Building in San Francisco, and Point Reyes Station), which had a wide variety of cheeses from many sources besides their own. Their cheese making continues and is sold at food specialty shops and also at Whole Foods (at least in the Bay Area). I crave and pick up their triple cream Mt Tam on a fairly regular basis.
https://sf.eater.com/2022/8/4/23292296/cowgirl-creamery-point-reyes-station-closing
Nugget Markets have their stuff, even closer to me.
I have UPS and FedEx accounts.
:)

May 23, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #152,756 of 155,148
Listening to Tangerine Dream tunes, D8000 Pros, Burr Brown Dac to Schiit Midgard, XLR.
Wow!

These guys are nuts!!
LOL!

https://open.qobuz.com/album/i2ta3l6ztrlnb
1716418037335.png

Alex

I used to follow TD pretty closely and probably have close to three dozen albums on CD and vinyl. Force Majeure was the first CD I ever bought. Saw them perform around '82 for the Le Parc tour.

It was a shock to hear that Edgar Froese passed away, but what I'm hearing on this album sounds true to the vision.

May 23, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #152,757 of 155,148
I have a friend who has a cochlear implant in one ear. It replaced a hearing aid after that no longer worked for him. He said it was like learning a new language with 1/2 of his brain, but, after a while it improved his quality of life. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cochlear-implants/about/pac-20385021
His main hobby is photography. Here's an example ... he has a Nikon Z-9 and some damn fancy lenses. :)

nice picture but have you noticed that two of the Blue Angels F18A's are inverted so you may have a faulty lens !!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Incidentally the link to the Mayo Clinic is a really interesting read and yes its a great picture !!

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #152,758 of 155,148
Ah, headphones. I have 4 decent pairs, but I'd also like to eventually go much higher end. I'd have to make a trek to Toronto to audition them, but even then It wouldn't be with my audio equipment unless I could arrange to take some of my stack with me. I wonder which YGGY iteration sounds best (subjective, I know) with a speaker system?
Based on my (limited to date, but growing daily) experience, I think that is clearly going to depend on your speakers; at this level I think synergies are critical. E.g. I LOVE what I’m hearing via Yggy A1/OG Level 3 into my Apogees; there is a natural synergy there. Would I *like* to hear/know if A2, or LIM, or MIB are “betterer?” Of course, but there’s no burning need. I really meant what I said earlier. This is literally the first time in 30 years I’ve heard digital on my system that didn’t SUCK compared to LP (all else being equal). And it’s beyond not sucking. The things I care about MOST - soundstaging of complex orchestral (or even simpler Jazz) is just (finally) “there”. Oh, and the highs don’t grate on me.

I *want* to continue listening to music, instead of going “ah, heck, time to drag out an LP, I’m sick of this”…

May 23, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #152,759 of 155,148
What is this "sub out" of which you speak? In my world, one acquires and accumulates (gear for audio, astronomy, photography; books, animal beds, garden plants) until the walls explode or a larger accommodation is found. 🙃

Seriously, the Gumby utterly smokes destroys every D/S DAC I've tried and is the best I've heard by far. I recall reading way back that Jason preferred the Gumby to Yggy for headphones (at the time), and mine is in my headphone stack. While I'm in no rush to get one after the vehicle purchase and with planned renos, I'm eyeing a YGGY sometime for the big basement system.
I meant "sub out" in your listening chain. That's why I have a Gumby in my bedroom system, it got relegated when Yggy came into my home. I have given Gumby place of pride in my big system when Yggy was getting its new chassis so I know the difference between the two. Stay focused on the goal! :smiley_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back