Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #152,461 of 155,069
Stage 5 is the ongoing effort 🫵 to intercept such shipments before the missus ...🥵 😒 🤣 ...
Stage 6 is indicated during an evacuation notice and your grab-and-go bag is the entire house. 🤣

21b0763a84be17ac953df676b77de17e.jpg

May 20, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #152,462 of 155,069
May 20, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #152,463 of 155,069
Currawong talks about tubes ....

May 20, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #152,464 of 155,069
May 20, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #152,465 of 155,069
May 20, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #152,466 of 155,069
Yes, since Amarone is expensive and that the Ripasso Grossa style can be quite complex and rich for sane prices, we do a few - and it goes nicely with my cooking. The extra benefit is I get about 70% of each bottle.....

I've been to Italy 4 times - and I have to tell these two stories:

1. In 1988 I was at Torino on business, and the first day the crew asks if I want coffee, - sure I say. They bring me into the dining area and there is a 7' x 4' monstrosity of a vending machine - ouch I think immediately of the "coffee" you get in rest areas on Rte 95 in N.J.. Well I ask for a latte, and its hands down the best coffee I had ever had up to that point - easily.

2. A few days later I was on my own for lunch, and after being amazed at the quality of every meal I had had decided to find bad food. Really. So I see this beat up gas station with a small cafe at the back - and I'm convinced it will be awful. I order a Caprese salad. It was far and away better than any I've had in the US - including stellar places like Il Capriccio in Waltham, anything in the North End, NYC, anywhere. It was $3.50.

I spend another 10 days based in Bologna in 2007, and it was beyond any other place I've been in terms of food. Trieste, Lucca, Florence, Amalfi Coast are other places I was impressed by. We've got a trip planned for Sicily, and a return to Rome in 4/26 - this June its 18 days in the UK - Bath, Cotswolds, Devon, Oxford - the food has improved greatly over the past 25 years, but, its no Italy.
The food in Italy is just awesome, and Bologna in particular is even better. Bettered only (in our experience) by Napoli. ... but a different better, not just a better better... if that makes sense?

Coffee and Gelato is coming from another world in Italy.
And the tomatoes ... OMG

Soooo much to like love!

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #152,467 of 155,069
I have never found a definitive answer on what RFT stands for but I do like some of their tubes.😉 “ That article also suggests "Repräsentant Fortschrittlicher Technik, and I've definitely seen it given as standing for "Radio Fernseh Technik". All in the ear of the beholder? The oldest R-F-T ad I've got I think is in the 1953-54 Brans Tube Vademecum, it gives the specific street addresses of their four factories but only identifies itself as representing "R-F-T".”

I have also heard Radio-Funk-Technik.

You are most deserving of my small contribution my friend!
RFT is usually Request for Tender.

Clearly it really means "Request for Tubes"

May 20, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #152,468 of 155,069
It was absolutely dumb luck that I found you lol. People had sent me so much bourbon that I wanted to switch to something edible. I had no concept you spent years in Alaska and had knowledge of salmon. :beerchug: Next I should ask for high quality cheeses and see who pops up. :ksc75smile:

May 20, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #152,469 of 155,069
My solution to that problem is to use Qobuz to learn about new music, and then buy the albums I like, mainly as digital downloads. I have a Qobuz Sublime annual subscription that gives good discounts on downloads, but I also (actually, mostly given the music I listen to) go to Bandcamp and find the album there. It may be a bit pricier, but more goes to the artists, which for me is important. As a last resort I buy CDs and rip them into my network of servers (I have servers in 3 separate physical locations that are kept in sync with Syncthing so that I have the same music available when I get to those locations).
This motion sounds like a good one to me; knowing my proclivities. Way back, I *tried* to rip LP’s but the discipline and the sheer amount of real-time involved rapidly made it a failing effort. But, I could see ripping them (CD’s) to hard drive.

What are typical download prices at Qobuz? They don’t say on their website; it’s all about SUBSCRIBE NOW. (Just like all commercial SaaS offerings).

Also, from a lot of lurking on this topic, I settled on Qobuz because of combo of high quality and more likely to fit the music I really like… I despise all things rap, hip-hop and pretty much most of the dreck (In MY opinion, others MMV) of current hip-hop/popular/current music. But love progressive rock, rock, space, jazz, classical, some electronica… Am I right in assuming that Qobuz’ catalog is likely more in line than, say, Tidal would be for me?

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #152,470 of 155,069
lol this is how it starts, then you are buying tube boxes, cleaning swabs, a tube tester, and searching your house for an empty closet for tube storage.🤪🤪
I bet @bcowen would be willing to rent out a shelf or two in his tube warehouse…

IMG_6659.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #152,472 of 155,069
Oh crap, I made a bid on a triple mica 5670 5 star...and found out I won!
OMG another $20 down the drain!
LOL!

Alex
I will be shipping 12AU7s to you today as well so you have more choices.😁

May 20, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #152,473 of 155,069
Oh crap, I made a bid on a triple mica 5670 5 star...and found out I won!
OMG another $20 down the eustachian tubes!
LOL!

Alex
FTFY....[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

May 20, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #152,475 of 155,069
The disc is available on streaming services, including Qobuz (https://open.qobuz.com/album/ep56wfg2cocvb).

A test disc from Sheffield, also on streaming services. I can't find an online copy of the program booklet, but some track descriptions are here:
https://elusivedisc.com/my-disc-the-sheffield-a2tb-test-disc-cd/
And for last minute checkup, there is this absolute POS:
IMG_8099.jpeg
[Third World: recorded March, 1969; released June, 1969.] Nice band name 🤣! The worse this recording sounds, the better the playback system ... 😖😫👍.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back