Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 19, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #152,401 of 154,995
I like the five star just a smidge better than the military 5670. I believe I will listen a bit myself till I visit a neighbor to set up his AV system. The man loaned me a warehouse when I ran my own business so I am forever beholden.
Examing the two variants the internals look very similar.
Both tubes are excellent here to my ears.
Blind testing would be a 50/50 hit here.
My subjective self likes the 5 star better.
Why?
Honestly who really knows...LOL!

For those inquiring minds:
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tubes&m=244522

Alex

May 19, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #152,402 of 154,995
Happy Tubesday to those who celebrate...

This week it's a PSVANE 6SN7-SE, with a internally crooked 1960 RCA 6080 in my work desk location

Source btw is Pi2AES LITE via BNC to RCA to Bifrost 2 OG

Checking out the new Marisa Anderson/Jim White album...splendid
Will be in KC and St Louis this week so Happy Tubesday on a Sunday this week...

Saw a few 7N7's this week and had to break out the Frankentube
20240519_141441.jpg

May 19, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #152,404 of 154,995
The Tung Sol 2C51 is one of my favs. In the Valhalla I may have even liked it a tad better than WE396As. Heresy, I know! 😁

May 19, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #152,406 of 154,995
Welp, ol' Sixer is down with Covid, bunkered up in my bedroom. Thanking the Good Lord for easily re-located Schiit stacks and Ripper's still-awesome Dinosaur album recommendation.
Fortunately, most of my isolation days are landing on my weekend because the whiskey blending waits for no-one!

IMG_7436.jpeg
Bummer, man. Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

May 19, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #152,407 of 154,995
I'm a bigger fan of ZZ Top's older / bluesier stuff.

(If 'Manic Mechanic' ain't their worst cut I don't know what is. 🙄)
Agreed. Eliminator was 1 of my high school jams, still remember the fuzzy guitars and them marching on conveyor belts in Houston’s summit. Matured into their older stuff past high school.

But all this pops Billy Squire into my head. Hold one as I jump over to qobuzz for a step down memory lane!

May 19, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #152,408 of 154,995
The Tung Sol 2C51 is one of my favs. In the Valhalla I may have even liked it a tad better than WE396As. Heresy, I know! 😁
Yup...THe MHDT guy put it in his second tier..but I agree its really a good tube as well..
Ha!
Dont think I ever met a tube I didnt like!
Often shades of grey here for me..

Old BH "Doc" often stated its the "circuit" (expletives) vs the tube...
Different strokes etc..

I just love tubes as well as SS, tubes gives me that nostalgic trip back in time...and a Schiit Vali 3 for $149 is that
stable platform that allows us to play affordably!

:>)
Alex

May 19, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #152,409 of 154,995
It was absolutely dumb luck that I found you lol. People had sent me so much bourbon that I wanted to switch to something edible. I had no concept you spent years in Alaska and had knowledge of salmon. :beerchug: Next I should ask for high quality cheeses and see who pops up. :ksc75smile:
Need to make friends with someone in Wisconsin. They do cheese good. :laughing:

May 19, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #152,410 of 154,995
Need to make friends with someone in Wisconsin. They do cheese good. :laughing:
I can leave you out unless I need sage brush.🤪

May 19, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #152,411 of 154,995
Welp, ol' Sixer is down with Covid, bunkered up in my bedroom. Thanking the Good Lord for easily re-located Schiit stacks and Ripper's still-awesome Dinosaur album recommendation.
Fortunately, most of my isolation days are landing on my weekend because the whiskey blending waits for no-one!

IMG_7436.jpeg
Heal quickly… lots of rest, music, and errrrrr… ummmmm…. Liquids… yeah I think that’s right…

May 19, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #152,414 of 154,995
I got this idea from a Canadian gentleman who also made canoe paddles, hockey sticks, wooden spoons and the like. I competed against his daughter in euchre tournaments so I purchased items through her. The father competed in this race and became rather famous as a paddle builder from what I recall.

https://paddlingmag.com/stories/columns/tumblehome/centennial-voyageur-canoe-pageant/

Mine is shaped like a canoe paddle and to this day we still use the wooden spoons.

Some on here might not know the card game of euchre but it is certainly played in northern and midwestern US states, Canada, Great Britain and Australia. It originated I believe in the Alsace region of France next to Germany and Switzerland.
I played Euchre and Pinochle (sp?) as a lad with parents and visiting grandparents/great aunts/uncles… then they taught me contract Bridge… never went back… played tournaments until i met my wife, and gave it up (as well as golf) aged 34…. Never forget my first grand slam, redoubled and made.

Must be our family’s German heritage… lineages like Holtz, Deutz, and Wagner family names growing up in MIchigan.. obviously a Midwest thing.

May 19, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #152,415 of 154,995
I can leave you out unless I need sage brush.🤪
That's made in Texas and just blows into Oklahoma. But if you ever want some Calf Fries, let me know. Apparently they are a specialty here. 🤣 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back