Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #151,111 of 152,848
You can get a Bendix 2C51 from Dale Rogalski at : https://vacuumtubes.net/
for $25 + shipping.
Mine is a United Electron Brand.

According to Dale:
United Electron was a re-brander and did not make their own tubes. We can tell by the construction that they were made by Bendix and sold to United. It was very common for tube companies to make tubes for other companies. RCA, Sylvania and GE all made tubes for each other and re-branders bought from all of the different tube manufacturers. It was cheaper for companies to contract with another company that was currently producing a tube than to shut down a production line and re-tool.

Alex
Alex I bought two from him, one is a GE, the other a CBS. Not even close on the inside to one another.🤪 They are OK tubes for the price but not the holy grail. I have been in discussion with Dale, as have others. I am sure he means well.

May 9, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #151,112 of 152,848
Alex I bought two from him, one is a GE, the other a CBS. Not even close on the inside to one another.🤪 They are OK tubes for the price but not the holy grail. I have been in discussion with Dale, as have others. I am sure he means well.
Well thats sad....
There is a site in Germany that sell the Bendix labeled ones for $180 +/- Euro/pounds..

Gosh these tubes are getting wayyyyy too costly..

May 9, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #151,113 of 152,848
Well thats sad....
There is a site in Germany that sell the Bendix labeled ones for $180 +/- Euro/pounds..

Gosh these tubes are getting wayyyyy too costly..
I can show you some costly tubes but then Bill will pull out a quad of 300b’s and one up me.🤪 I cannot compete with those. I would rather compare my Melz to his Fotons.😜

May 9, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #151,115 of 152,848
Well, this makes me feel great in finding a WE 396a for $20 last year!!
These deals are long gone..
A very good buy indeed. Many are at $200 now. Most likely I will end up trading labor for a Bendix, I have time on my hands and some remarkable hardwoods. 😉

May 9, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #151,116 of 152,848
You mean The Girl from Ipanema by Stan Getz, right?
Jobim wrote it I believe!

I also usually refer to the album as a Joao Gilberto one anyways, always felt bad that Getz pressured Astrid (Joao's wife) into singing it and then had an affair with her...

May 9, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #151,117 of 152,848
All these old computer memories and people talking about their first PC (mine was an 8086 IBM) made me think of:

8W-9QW67umXszBs7c8VR5fRFcdk9UfQp8QWJE5HU3Nk.jpg
Before Zork, there was Adventure! I think I still have a map of the whole place I made, along with the many rooms all the same and the many rooms all different.

May 9, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #151,118 of 152,848
Jobim wrote it I believe!

I also usually refer to the album as a Joao Gilberto one anyways, always felt bad that Getz pressured Astrid (Joao's wife) into singing it and then had an affair with her...
He composed the music, it was co-written from what I can find with Portuguese and English lyrics. Lot’s of history there, Astrid and Getz made it famous.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #151,121 of 152,848
I thought Western Electric was tooling up to start building a series of 9-pin small signal tubes again.
Anyone have any news regarding this?
Western Electric has not existed since the 1990's... so is someone using their name?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #151,123 of 152,848
From their website...

"It was re-established in 1996 for the exclusive manufacture of electron tubes and high-fidelity"
Interesting. Got a link to that web site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back