Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #151,051 of 152,718
Computers I've programmed (that I can remember on the spot, there's likely more):

https://www.ithistory.org/db/hardware/elliott-brothers-london-ltd/elliott-4130 (Algol 60, Fortran, assembler)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System/360_Model_44 (PL/I)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-10 (Algol 60, Fortran, MACRO-10, Bliss-10, Simula 67, Prolog, Lisp -- several variants, ...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11 (C, assembler, Prolog)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAX-11 (C, assembler, Prolog)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolics Lisp Machines (Lisp, of course)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUN_workstation (C, Prolog, assembler)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K (Pascal)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Indigo and other SGI machines (C, Python)
Various Intel boxes running Windows NT (C++)
Various Intel boxes running Linux (C, Python, Java)
Modern macOS machines (Python + C/C++ libraries)
Always thought computer programmers should be titled linguists. Html/css/front end frameworks sitting in front of web servers talking to back end servers over web-api that more programming that then use a database library to emit SQL or no-SQL commands to database.

And then add in all the network & protocol layers, and potentially from a phone 1000s of miles from the source?

Amazing stuff - and yet no cure for cancer.

May 9, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #151,052 of 152,718
I posted a picture of one of my desks not so long ago. Lots of: You need a bigger desk. Don't need further abuse :)

My programming: Learned Pascal and Lisp in college on a TOPS-20 computer; was really only into it for the VTTrek. Got a job at a speech recognition company, learned C.
Then went to a CAD/CAM company (CV); they invented it, still doing C to make distributed apps on SunOS sockets/TCP/UDP/IP. VAX/VMS, VM-SP. Worked briefly at GenRad, learned how to do memory overlays on a PDP-11 based test computer. A brief job at Dow Jones, converting their teletypes to Internet Protocol apps on Windows 3. Then lots of Web programming: html, js, perl, oraperl, tcl/tk, bash, Irix. Lots of those kind of jobs, for years and years, omg so boring.

Now working in golang for a company doing a VR-based batting tutorial software. If you're related to a kid in Little League, you need to buy this thing for them, if you can afford the Oculus headset and the subscription. Real (simulated) pitchers throwing their actual pitches at you on home plate. Funny, I don't know much about baseball/softball :-D Snark seems to be my expertise....
Another TOPS-20 dude! Seems your career has spanned computer gaming: VTTrek on DEC timesharing at the beginning, and VR simulation at the other end…. I was writing weird games on TOPS-10 in high school, then did a baseball simulator (in Fortran) to “test out” of intro engineering programming (they were grading on the curve, and a friend of mine - who also had learned programming the same way in high school - and I were tutoring the students… they had a couple of very attractive co-Ed’s and we didn’t wan’t to blow the curve/show off. So we asked the TA teaching the class: is there a program we can write to just get an A and not have to be here and not spoil your curve? (We literally knew more about programming than he did). He said, write a baseball game simulator… the sad thing is, I might just still have the box of punch-cards for the source somewhere!

VTTrek on a Techtronics graphics terminal back-ended by TOPS-10 or TOPS-20 running on a KL-10 processor was always a blast… as was OG Adventure (Xhack it was called after being ported to Ultrix).

May 9, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #151,053 of 152,718
Or Covid, or war, or conspiracy, racsism, mysoginy….. but what’s new

May 9, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #151,054 of 152,718
That's beautiful!

Mine would have to be made all of that red wood to cover up all the accidents I have. What is that red wood?

My family barely trusts me with a spoon these days.
That is the board and knife that paladin79 made for me. You can easily see why my wife does not like to use it to cut cheese and salami---too pretty and artistic! The knife is real Damascus steel, and, yes, you could shave with it.
Paladin79 is a real craftsman masquerading as a "simple woodworker". I suppose we could call him Geppetto.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #151,055 of 152,718
That is a beautiful scope! I use an old Meade ED102. The mount finally let the smoke out so I'm looking for the next upgrade. In the interim, I have been using my club's remote scope in AZ. 20" Planewave CDK and Tak FSQ-106 on a Paramount ME II. Sadly work gets in the way of good observing time.
Mounts are EVERYTHING (especially for any imaging)… Before I moved to Texas (in 2018) I had a roll-off roof observatory (build by Backyard Observatories - great folks and friends to this day) in my backyard. Before this scope I had a pair of Tak’s: FSQ106ED (amazing optics), and a TOA130NFB mounted side by side on Mountain Instruments MI-250). I still have the pier, the mount, and all the scopes/equipment; just need the time (and money) to build a final observatory. My skies here are solid Bortle 4 in general, and extremely dark locally
I *loved* that instruction set -- that is, until our AI programs started needing a bit more memory and we could not garbage-collect ourselves out of trouble.
Sounds like you were on TOPS-10? TOPS-20 had *virtual memory*; no garbage-collection required (well, technically GC was run as part of the priority interrupt level in the scheduler in tight correlation with Paging…). Though, paging memory was SLOW, physical was always faster. Memory was so bleeping expensive back then, I remember we’d take days to figure out clever ways to code in assembler to save a word here, or a word there. Core memory then literally was CORES of iron (like little beads) all threaded together in 3 dimensions. Each “bead” was one BIT. So it took a refrigerator sized cabinet to hold 256K Words of memory (our Words were 36 bits; 5 - 7 bit bytes (ASCII) plus one parity). So approx a megabyte in today’s measure. They were several hundred thousand dollars (this is back in late 1970’s).

So yeah, it was more cost effective to pay programmers to be super clever and memory stingy than it was to buy “more memory” (and most systems couldn’t handle that much physical memory due to addressing limits of the day - e.g. Tops-10/20 could address 18 bits of memory originally (where the half words came in useful, you could use operators to simultaneously process and index/fetch/store from memory in very clever ways, cross table linking, recursion, you name it.

I started at DEC in Software Support for the Galaxy subsystem for Tops-10/20 (ran batch jobs, mounted disks/tapes, ran line printers, etc.). We received bug reports from customers and had to fix the OS. Then did a stint in direct Customer Support when we shifted to taking live calls instead of mailed in reports with dump tapes. Then to TOPS-20 Software Engineering, where I worked on the Scheduler and Pager to improve the overall performance/throughput of the system.

Today’s programmers really don’t know how great they have it. Gigabytes of memory. Libraries of high level, system-independent code ready made to snap together, etc… that’s lego building, not REAL programming like the good old days! LOL and I’m only being slightly serious/mostly sarcastic. Computes are infinitely scalable, memory is basically free, as is storage.

Don’t know if I’m whistful for those days, or if I’d be terrified if I now had to go back and do THAT for a living again. Not sure this 65 year old brain would have the chops anymore.

Not to mention, from all those years when young using EMACS, I now have what is known in the hacking community as “EMACS pinkies” (yeah, it’s a thing). EMACS was revolutionary in terms of editors; it was actually a robust programmable UI/environment. But, it put inordinate “demands” on ones pinkies whilst typing…

May 9, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #151,056 of 152,718
I had to pass on the Mach 1 during the first run. My father picked it up (we both went on the waitlist) and it's now in his observatory with an Televue NP-127is. The club scope is next door. https://kasonline.org/remote-telescope.html

IMG_5621.jpg
Nice! I miss my setup. Found an old shot when I was SBS with the dueling Taks…
IMG_0976.jpeg

May 9, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #151,057 of 152,718
Nice personal and club observatory! I'm a bit of an observatory research junkie these days - I'm in the early planning stages of my own observatory. Next month I'm picking up a Celestron 9.25 CPC Deluxe fully kitted out for imaging (HyperStar, Atik Camera, etc.), a 152mm APM refractor, a pile of ~40 eyepieces, Zeiss binoviewers, and other gear from my brother. The JMI NGT-18 and Meade 12" SCT OTA will follow later this year. I have no idea where I'll store it all (I own 4 other telescopes) until we retire and move to our property on the Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) shore. I need to figure out what mount to get for the 12" and 2 refractors. I can mount 2 of them on a Discmount simultaneously for alt-az visual observing, but I want them on a solid permanent tracking mount on a pier inside a dome or roll-off roof shed for both imaging and visual astronomy.

What type of building is your father's observatory? How has the Mach 1 been working for him?
I highly recommend Scott/Diane Horstman at Backyard Observatories. They built my 10x12 Roll Off to a treat, warm room, motorized roof, etc. They build all sizes. They can even do ones with partial drop down walls (perfect for that JMI btw). I’ve the DM6 mount for alt az, and it’ll handle up to ONE C11… any more is too much IMO. It was dangerously scary with my TOA130, one reason I sold it and got the AP130 - well the real reason is because I came up after the 10 year wait and HAD to have it).

I had excellent results with my Mountain Instruments MI250, I would run C11 SBS with my Taks or AP130 no problem! Native P/E of just over 2” P/P and smooth. You might look on the used market there? Or plump for the big bucks AP’s; my neighbor had the AP1200 with a Tak Mewlon 300 mounted on it. he specialized in planetary and eclipsing binaries, etc. that was a HUGE scope.

May 9, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #151,058 of 152,718
I would say Tyrs for your panel speakers.
Tyr’s aren’t NEEDED unless/until the Classe’ dies. Apogees and Classe’ have a rich history of awesome synergy. I dread that day, to be honest

May 9, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #151,061 of 152,718
That is the board and knife that paladin79 made for me. You can easily see why my wife does not like to use it to cut cheese and salami---too pretty and artistic! The knife is real Damascus steel, and, yes, you could shave with it.
Paladin79 is a real craftsman masquerading as a "simple woodworker". I suppose we could call him Geppetto.
Sam you are too kind. I am fortunate to share my work with so many fine people.

For some reason my mailman did not pick up the box with your connectors yesterday but they will go out today.

Finnegan is outside being Finnegan but Morgan is in her classic pose. She does have front paws, honest.😸IMG_7884.jpeg

May 9, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #151,062 of 152,718
All these old computer memories and people talking about their first PC (mine was an 8086 IBM) made me think of:

8W-9QW67umXszBs7c8VR5fRFcdk9UfQp8QWJE5HU3Nk.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #151,063 of 152,718
Yes, an old picture. And when I moved I was shocked to find out there was wood under there. Cool, huh? 🤣

Desk Clean.jpg
They don't make desks like that anymore. Is it a family heirloom, Bill?

May 9, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #151,064 of 152,718
Your work is superb! Just out of curiosity, Ever do Cribbage boards? I have a feeling that this is a silly question. :)
Not a silly question at all. Cribbage is an important part of life.

IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG
Annette's are the gold pegs. Look who's winning ... as usual. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back