Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #148,921 of 150,704
Vali 3 ordered! I had been planning to save up for a Bifrost 2/64 and a Lyr +, but if Vali 3 lives up to the hype, I will just stick with that plus my Modi Multibit 2.

I did prefer the Vali 2+ to the Jotunheim, so I'll see.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #148,923 of 150,704
Upsampling lossy mp3 to HiRes is fraudulent. I doubt any reputable download site would go that far.
Do you think that I am wrongly accusing highresaudio.com of deception? I have a CD of this album. It was released by Polydor, Universal Music Group. Here is a screenshot from it:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240422-211140.png
    Screenshot_20240422-211140.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240422_211316_(1).jpg
    20240422_211316_(1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240422_211359_(1).jpg
    20240422_211359_(1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #148,925 of 150,704
Do you think that I am wrongly accusing highresaudio.com of deception? I have a CD of this album. It was released by Polydor, Universal Music Group. Here is a screenshot from it:

You said:
I used this site and bought a music album from them. Beforehand, I asked the support team if they guaranteed that a particular song on this album was not upconverted from MP3. Having received assurances that he was available 24/48, I checked this statement. Here is a screenshot of the spectral analysis. Do you think this is Hi-Res?

MP3 is lossy. Up converting lossy to HiRes and selling it as HiRes is fraudulent. I don’t really care if you feel hiresaudio.com is being deceptive. Nor do I care if you think they are up converting lossy files. Your spectrum analysis is interesting, but not evidence of deceptive behavior.

I’m pointing out that many tracks being sold as HiRes are based off of lossless 16/44 masters. This is not a secret and why you need to be careful spending extra money on the higher resolution files knowing they are possibly upsampled redbook CD files.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #148,926 of 150,704
Not gonna ask how deep the rabbit-hole was where you found this
And down the Flat Eric rabbit-hole I go ...
That was some weird Schiit, man! How do I get my 3:06 back now?

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #148,928 of 150,704
MP3 is lossy. Up converting lossy to HiRes and selling it as HiRes is fraudulent. I don’t really care if you feel hiresaudio.com is being deceptive. Nor do I care if you think they are up converting lossy files. Your spectrum analysis is interesting, but not evidence of deceptive behavior.

I’m pointing out that many tracks being sold as HiRes are based off of lossless 16/44 masters. This is not a secret and why you need to be careful spending extra money on the higher resolution files knowing they are possibly upsampled redbook CD files.
Shall I start again? I was looking for this song in high resolution, because on the official CD, which must comply with the redbook standard, this song is converted from Mp3. Before purchasing, I specifically asked a representative from highresaudio.com, to which I was assured that it was in Hi-Res format and they guaranteed it. Also on this site there are assurances from representatives that files are 100% checked for compliance with high standards. Based on the above, I concluded that no one checks these files and even after checking, they claim that this song complies with the Hi-Res standard. Do you also think that I'm wrong?
And you don't think they're cheating? Then what do you think should be done with music for you to consider it deception?
If you think that my screenshot with spectral analysis is not conclusive, then here’s what the representative sent me. You understand this more than me. So check it out and have your say.

Attachments

• Oh Yeah 'Oh Six (Ralphi Rosario Big Room Vocal Mix).png
    Oh Yeah 'Oh Six (Ralphi Rosario Big Room Vocal Mix).png
    405.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #148,929 of 150,704
I agree. I would suspect that the capacitor coupled cathode follower is allowing DC voltage variations to appear at the preamp output, and the power amp is amplifying it. Put a DC millivolt meter at the preamp out and see [no signal] whether the preamp dc output is fluctuating.
I will try this on the coming weekend, as I doubt I'll get to it before then. Thanks for the info!

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #148,931 of 150,704
Not gonna ask how deep the rabbit-hole was where you found this
And down the Flat Eric rabbit-hole I go ...
It gets better... Mr Oizo is fun!

mr oizo cover.png

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #148,932 of 150,704
Shall I start again? I was looking for this song in high resolution, because on the official CD, which must comply with the redbook standard, this song is converted from Mp3. Before purchasing, I specifically asked a representative from highresaudio.com, to which I was assured that it was in Hi-Res format and they guaranteed it. Also on this site there are assurances from representatives that files are 100% checked for compliance with high standards. Based on the above, I concluded that no one checks these files and even after checking, they claim that this song complies with the Hi-Res standard. Do you also think that I'm wrong?
And you don't think they're cheating? Then what do you think should be done with music for you to consider it deception?
If you think that my screenshot with spectral analysis is not conclusive, then here’s what the representative sent me. You understand this more than me. So check it out and have your say.
I mean, argumentative tone aside, based on the earlier spectrum plot you showed I suspect you're right that a lossy source was used. Looks like classic mp3-style psychoacoustically optimized removal of frequencies.

I guess the counter argument could be that the CD is just mastered way differently than the hi res version, and that the hi res master purposely added an effect with similar characteristics to lossy compression. Hard to say for sure.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #148,933 of 150,704
Glad to help, Tom. As you know, cathode followers can become low frequency oscillators when certain capacitors in the circuit go bad. One step at a time.
I have had a little experience with cathode followers.🤪My iterations are still holding up as best I know, knock on cardboard.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #148,934 of 150,704
Ok, maybe it is spending almost three weeks living with the grandkids or the travel or age. What am I missing? 6N6P is output for Valhalla 2 and now what else?
Folkvangr. x8

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #148,935 of 150,704
That looks delish!! My parents are from Cuba and I ate many a Cuban sandwich. A nice variation and especially since it appears to be on Cuban bread. :wink:
The picture doesnt do it justice/ its really a decent sandwhich especially with a cold 'Red Oak" German Bavarian Old World Lager...soooo good!
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back