Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #148,711 of 150,906
Your system is a classic example of measurements vs. reality. That audio signal is traveling at/nearly at the speed of light. Two wires of different length means the signal gets to the end of one wire a miniscule (nanoseconds, picoseconds) amount earlier. Yes, it's measurable. The difference in impedance of the wires is measurable but miniscule. Using human ears as the measuring instrument means...hey, it sounds great.
Speed of light (in air) is roughly 1 foot per nanosecond. Yes, easily measurable with the appropriate equipment. Your ears, not so much. (Edit) Now if you add a few zeros (before the decimal point) to change that nano prefix to a milli prefix, then you should be able to hear some interesting effects I reckon.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #148,712 of 150,906
Amperex built an assembly shop in India named BEL..Bharat Electronics Limited. Amperex parts, assembly in India...same quality, easier on $, if you can find them.

I did not know this, thanks for the tip.

I posted this picture a couple weeks back (about 2000 post ago) of my Ediswan also made in India CV2492 and prefer them over my BELs..... finding another good pair would be a real challenge but probably not a worry as I won't use all my collection up before I check out! :)

I feel confident I will be around for when we hit page 10,000 though?
IMG_20240331_113541965~2.jpg

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #148,713 of 150,906
I bought a bottle of your "Bottled in Bond" bourbon and a Westward American single malt yesterday. Going to sample and compare Oregon spirits tonight. :)
Awesome! Those guys do great things with malted barley. They made a big move upscale with their branding and image a handful of years ago and seem to be doing well with it.

As an adjacent (as opposed to an aside), we are releasing our own Malt this year, though interestingly we are calling it a Straight American Malt Whiskey instead of American Single Malt. It's been explained to me that it's because the ASM category does not imply the use of new charred oak barrels for aging as used barrels can be used. We want to emphasize our use of new charred oak so the Straight American Whiskey categorization works better for that, though it'll take some 'splainin' for folks who have only heard of American Single Malt.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #148,715 of 150,906
Awesome! Those guys do great things with malted barley. They made a big move upscale with their branding and image a handful of years ago and seem to be doing well with it.

As an adjacent (as opposed to an aside), we are releasing our own Malt this year, though interestingly we are calling it a Straight American Malt Whiskey instead of American Single Malt. It's been explained to me that it's because the ASM category does not imply the use of new charred oak barrels for aging as used barrels can be used. We want to emphasize our use of new charred oak so the Straight American Whiskey categorization works better for that, though it'll take some 'splainin' for folks who have only heard of American Single Malt.
Since I am much more a Scotch fan than a bourbon fan, I will look forward to your release (in a few years, I presume?)

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #148,716 of 150,906
You'd be missing out... :wink:
I might be misusing the phrase 'take a punt' which in British slang means "take a risk or a bet." Meaning, I'll check it out just based on the album art. :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #148,717 of 150,906
Since I am much more a Scotch fan than a bourbon fan, I will look forward to your release (in a few years, I presume?)
Bottles will release sometime soon. I'm not yet sure how much Total Wine distro they're getting. It's delicious and will definitely be a different experience than Westward's.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #148,718 of 150,906
Thanks! I could certainly use some.
I have it in a few colors, I will make up a package and see what else I can find. It is high temp and 19/30 strand count.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #148,719 of 150,906
I might be misusing the phrase 'take a punt' which in British slang means "take a risk or a bet." Meaning, I'll check it out just based on the album art. :)
I don't get out much so I had no idea. 😁

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #148,720 of 150,906
We have two bonded barrel warehouses and one the largest barrel inventories in all of Oregon. Being also a Single Barrel release, some of our Boytbon and Rye BiB barrels will stretch out closer to the 5-year mark depending on a variety of factors - our Wheat is a 5-year release, so some of those will stretch closer to 6 years. Being aged in the more pronounced cold/hot cycles of the High Desert does help to accelerate the mechanisms that age a spirit - basically, we get more action per year than we would, say, in the Willamette Valley or somewhere more moderate. Those places often need 6-7 or more years to get similar aging action out of a barrel.

None of this is hard and fast, obviously, because we're talking about naturally occurring weather and temperature cycles that we have no control over, but overall this makes Central Oregon an awesome place to make whiskey! We have really great water, too. It requires no processing beyond simple carbon filtration as it enters the building.

And I think terroir is great, and our spirits do manage to capture the feel of the High Desert, IMO. We use all Oregon-sourced ingredients except for the couple of things that are simply not produced here, like the Italian juniper we use in our gin.

Awesome question!
And an awesome answer. Thank you for your generosity!

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #148,721 of 150,906
PM me if you want to read some of a company’s theory about directionality. They may be a sponsor so I prefer to not subject them to public ridicule.

Direction in audio signals refers more to source and destination I would think, not changing in amplitude and direction. Audio is indeed AC.

I understand that, don't worry. From source to destinatiom that part, the theory I learnt it few decades ago from the French company Telemecanique, now may be belongs to Schneider (I am not quite sure)

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #148,722 of 150,906
DC music is more easily experienced by feel, such as by putting your fingers on a fully charged capacitor. As long as it's big enough, the performance is always electrifying. 🤣

A nice finger BBQ ....:sweat_smile:

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #148,723 of 150,906
I don't get out much so I had no idea. 😁
Most of my British slang comes from reading old motorcycle and car magazines from the UK back in the day. I've definitely forgotten half of what I ever picked up. 😝

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #148,724 of 150,906
Magni+ appears again at the Last Call section.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #148,725 of 150,906

Users who are viewing this thread

Back