Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #148,036 of 151,037
Lol this is why I don't post wide shots of my setups, a bunch zoom-in'ers to jump on ya!

What @45longcolt meant to say. :D

I think your priorities are off. I suggest you remove the door to the bathroom, put the sub where it needs to go for best sound. No big deal for people to step over the sub. Then you are done.

Addendum: if the bathroom does not have an exhaust fan you might want to one.

I think I would just stack the subs. With the low pass set correctly, the subs and the Legacy speakers should blend properly in that arrangement. Stacked subs are more efficient too. More bass for your buck...! 🤣

Some of the sound coming from the open bathroom door will also add to the low end sound.

Why, oh why do I start these things?
(And why should I be surprised by toilet humor on a Schiit thread?)
Lesson learned?
Probably not, knowing me...

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #148,037 of 151,037
I found nine brands I can lend you, I want to clean them and run them all through my tester. I believe they range in price from $20-$200 each or so. No GE’s 🤪

This morning our wonderful French door Samsung refrigerator decided to develop an internal leak so I need to shop tomorrow for a different brand.
We have a Samsung "Bespoke" 4 door fridge...So far so good...
:>)

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #148,038 of 151,037
OK, so how many female singers' arguably finest recording was singing a song written about their troubled relationship by the guy.

I can think of two: Stevie Nicks and Julie London. Any others?
Taylor Swift says hi!*

*This answer might be cheating since she made her fortune on songs with that theme.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #148,039 of 151,037
Why, oh why do I start these things?
(And why should I be surprised by toilet humor on a Schiit thread?)
Lesson learned?
Probably not, knowing me...
One more suggestion: how about a DBA to the left and right instead of both upfront?

In my current "main room" I am blessed that a single stack of Starke 10" subwoofers exhibit almost perfect textbook frequency response.
On the one hand, yay!, on the other I no longer have any excuse to add to my collection of subwoofers, boo!

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #148,042 of 151,037
I'd like to give this 10 thumbs-up. I came to this song ("who the ph is Alice") via a Danish version by Bamses Venner and I think it's absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the reference. Now I need to find out more the Alice (Coltrane) everyone else is talking about.
Live at Carnegie Hall offering from Presto Music:

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #148,044 of 151,037
So much for keeping it stress-free...

A quick set of questions for you Appleonians...

So, I found some music that I wanted to purchase available on Apple Music. Giddy as a schoolboy, I executed the purchase of my sought-after tunes. I Googled ad nauseum and it seems there's no way to BUY/OWN music via Apple Music (which does playback lossless) and I had to use iTunes to execute the purchase. The issue is the download seems to only be available in AAC (lossy) and not ALAC (lossless). It seems that while one can 'download' ALAC versions of music via Apple Music (for local storage and playback), from what I've read it has DRM and can only playback via Apple Music's player/streaming app. So my question(s) is/are:

1. Can one purchase and download lossless ALAC files form Apple's Music Store for playback via Roon?

-- or --

2. Are Apple music purchases only AAC with Apple say FU if you want lossless?

3. Is there something I'm failing to do to secure my purchase in ALAC format?

The music I purchased is not available on Qobuz, so I cannot buy it there. I've only found it on Amazon Music (no purchase and download option) and Tidal (again, no purchase and download option).

The CDs are no longer being mfg'ed and the used market prices for them is INSANE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #148,045 of 151,037
The dearing ring is used only on the 1219, 1229 and 1249.
It allows one to set the vta for single play or for correct vta for the 3rd record when a stack of 6 are loaded on the multi-play spindle.
What happens is these tables used a paraffin based grease that turns to glue after x amount of years.
At the base of the tonearm is a lever that moves the arm up or down to adjust the vta. When that lever is forced due to hardened grease, it breaks the two little ears and you can no longer adjust the up or down setting of the arm.
That part is un-obtainable and the only way to procure one is from a donor table. Most of those also have broken rings...sigh.
The 1019's and 1009's don't use that part.
Sorry for the long rant.

Oh, no problem. Very helpful.

Can you recommend an online source I could start down the rabbit hole of if I were to undertake a refurb on this? I'm on a fixed income but I've been so bored lately I've started polishing all my shoes and boots. (So far no luck putting a spit shine on an old pair of Blundstones lol.) Anyway, I've still got a couple buckets of elbow grease left for low-cost projects though...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #148,046 of 151,037
We have a Samsung "Bespoke" 4 door fridge...So far so good...
:>)
Shopping for a four door as well, but Whirlpool this time.

Mostly I am listening to my wife, she usually deals with the large thing in the kitchen where I keep my beer. 🤪

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #148,047 of 151,037
Carly Simon?
I'm not aware that Jacob Brackman and Carly Simon ever had a troubled relationship. I think they were never more than friends and music collaborators. What song are you thinking of that she sang, but was written by a spurned lover?

I thought of Karla Bonoff, but most of her most devastating songs were written by her about someone else. But if Kenny Edwards provided the lyrics for the co-written song "Baby Don't Go", I guess that would qualify.

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #148,049 of 151,037
I'm not aware that Jacob Brackman and Carly Simon ever had a troubled relationship. I think they were never more than friends and music collaborators. What song are you thinking of that she sang, but was written by a spurned lover?

I did not interpet it as 'real' relationships, but just songs about relationships, whether real or fictional. The song I was thinking about 'You're so Vain', which may have been about a real relationship, but it remains a mystery as whether it was and if so, who. (AFAIK)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back