Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 12, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #147,676 of 152,838
Greatest Connery movie ever!

"The gun is good. The penis is evil. Go forth, and kill!" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Now that's an interesting cultural criticism. I did like the flying head vehicle but, really, the whole thing was so over the top. The representation of the A.I. was a bit ahead of its time.
... not lame Nissan LEAFs. 😒
What! My LEAF was not lame. Least, not on my 20mi commute (10 each way) and it was basically given to me by the dealership when I traded in my 14yo diesel Jetta.

I agree, not an experience worth repeating. The i3 was way more fun.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #147,677 of 152,838
oh, wow, man!
Just wait, if I can learn all the procedures, I am about to put all of my efforts into a Thorens plinth that might be amazing if I can pull it off. I try to learn from each of my builds.😁

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #147,678 of 152,838
Kerrville TX. ...
Is that pronounced cur-ville or car-ville?

Separately, digital EQ, it seems, can create undesirable phase shifts? Do the analog EQs like Loki cause phase shifts?
I feel that I am sensitive to phase shifts (science be darned!) so maybe I should use a Loki instead of Roon's EQ?

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #147,679 of 152,838
The first is what we’re selling today—a Ragnarok 2 with a toroidal transformer, which gives it a lower noise floor and higher output power than the original. Ragnarok 2 now comfortably exceeds its rated power. If we re-rated it, it would be more like a 75/110W amp into 8 and 4 ohms.

So anyone driving Vandy 2 with Ragnarok to good effect? I was saving for Tyrs in case I swap out to something else, but jezz I cannot resist a deal.

As a 30+ year audiophile who has always had separates, I tend to agree with Jason’s observation of integrateds not being popular - but dang are there a lot of pictures on Reddit with integrateds.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #147,680 of 152,838

Separately, digital EQ, it seems, can create undesirable phase shifts? Do the analog EQs like Loki cause phase shifts?
I feel that I am sensitive to phase shifts (science be darned!) so maybe I should use a Loki instead of Roon's EQ?

I do not hear any phase shift issues. On either my current Lokius or the previous Loki Mini+.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #147,681 of 152,838
So anyone driving Vandy 2 with Ragnarok to good effect? I was saving for Tyrs in case I swap out to something else, but jezz I cannot resist a deal.

As a 30+ year audiophile who has always had separates, I tend to agree with Jason’s observation of integrateds not being popular - but dang are there a lot of pictures on Reddit with integrateds.
I run an integrated, 14 tubes but an integrated nonetheless.😁

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #147,682 of 152,838
EVs are all about insta-torque squeeze-n-gooooooooo!!!!!

And you'd want me to drive one sane?

EDIT: 'Most' being the current crop of performance-oriented EVs, not lame Nissan LEAFs. 😒
My 2013 Nissan Leaf is the most economical car I’ve ever had and a great city car.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #147,683 of 152,838
My 2013 Nissan Leaf is the most economical car I’ve ever had and a great city car.
But that's exactly my point re: the EV tire discussion. I doubt a LEAF does much to scrub the tires in at all let alone wear them prematurely due to spirited acceleration. I'm sure they're great little commuter cars, but fast they ain't. Nor were they ever intended to be.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #147,684 of 152,838
But that's exactly my point re: the EV tire discussion. I doubt a LEAF does much to scrub the tires in at all let alone wear them prematurely due to spirited acceleration. I'm sure they're great little commuter cars, but fast they ain't. Nor were they ever intended to be.
I would say that they are deceptively fast at certain speeds because of their instant torque and low center of gravity but they aren’t going to win any races and the tire wear is normal. I replaced the tires at 60,000 miles, so pretty typical I’d say.

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #147,686 of 152,838

Cur-vil.

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #147,687 of 152,838
Going fast and doing stupid things that shred tires are two very different things. I know my car can smoke all four tires if I turn off the traction control and shift it into what Ford calls "Unbridled Mode." But I have not and will never do that. I also know it is speed-limited at 132 MPH but I will never try driving that fast. I'm no longer 16. I do however like and use the car's quickness, and the approximately 4 second 0-60 time and instant-on full torque at any speed is very useful when entering a freeway or negotiating around idiot drivers on the freeway. Plus I have not purchased gasoline since 2006. Driving an EV is for me.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #147,689 of 152,838
Going fast and doing stupid things that shred tires are two very different things. I know my car can smoke all four tires if I turn off the traction control and shift it into what Ford calls "Unbridled Mode." But I have not and will never do that. I also know it is speed-limited at 132 MPH but I will never try driving that fast. I'm no longer 16. I do however like and use the car's quickness, and the approximately 4 second 0-60 time and instant-on full torque at any speed is very useful when entering a freeway or negotiating around idiot drivers on the freeway. Plus I have not purchased gasoline since 2006. Driving an EV is for me.
"Unbridled Mode" is an epic name!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back