Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #146,836 of 150,076
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #146,837 of 150,076
Winding up a week at the beach with the grandkids and the winning libations are….
IMG_4226.jpeg
My last 2000 Les Forts, bricking, tertiary notes but easily another ten years or more in it. The pencil, cigar box and cedar that were so laser focused and separate in its youth are still there but softened and blended, what a treat. The Green Spot Montelena zin finish is no gimmick. It’s damn easy to drink. Smoov and worth every penny.
I need to make up a traveling Schiit case like I’ve seen posted here before. A week does seem a long time without a Schiit.
I had a 1961 Latour the evening I proposed to my wife (at Tavern on the Green in NYC). Been a LONG fan of “Les Forts…” had the 82 (1/2 case only just drank last one last year), as well as 90’s… fabulous wine.

Also a big fan of the various versions of Green Spot…. Very nice selection!

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #146,838 of 150,076
I'm telling y'all, a SchiitrMeet at Oregon Spirits (aka Burning SchiitHeads), and a barrel and some imported (or local) BBQ would be almost better than the eclipse. Would be just the excuse to get off my hiney and go to OR!
We have a rather awesome event space, inside and outside, perfect for smaller gatherings. We have some decent BBQ joints in town that do on-site events but whether they would stand up to the expectations of those from actual BBQ states is another question... 😆

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #146,839 of 150,076
Well, your Bourbon stands up to actual Bourbon states, so there's always hope. :D

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #146,841 of 150,076
What? No cats?

:beerchug:
JC
I did say "relevant". :smirk:
Noted.
The-King-Observes.jpg

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #146,842 of 150,076
A week now visiting the grandkids. Went into arrears on this thread, finally caught up. In time to leave Saturday for family holiday in Wales. Expecting to get behind again.

Yes, Asgard 2 and HiFiMan, Grado and many others as mentioned.

I am old school also and do not cotten to two volume controls in a chain. Maybe I should reconsider.

More tubes, too many discussed that I do not own.

Son and I went out to a pub for Tim Taylor draft and football. Home team “Leeds” won 3 - 1. This is serious stuff here.

Just made family recipe pimiento cheese with 4 & 1/2 year old granddaughter.

Four adults going out tonight, sitter with kids 😀

Decided to treat myself to a new Vali as reward for being grandad.

Live long and whatever….
and Theakstons, and Sam Smiths. My mum was from Leeds and I was born not too far away.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #146,844 of 150,076
Funny - I also changed the received chip and filter chip to the newer versions to achieve 24/96. I remember running into a snag with the filter chip replacement. I think I had to add some logic to either invert the clock signal on the filter input or delay it a cycle. It's been a few years...

Sparkos are SS3602 since this version uses dual op amps.

Cool! Yeah, since the master clock is now 22/24MHz (double at 256fs 88.2/96Khz) two old TTL 74xx logic OR gates and D flip-flop latches are too slow... one of the things I checked w/oscilloscope. Was thinking those 1980's logic chips would be maxed out. Edit: Hope I don't have to change the logic... new filter chip has pads to set left-justified / standard / i2s etc, to match the original.

Couple bucks from Digikey.

Thanks re: the Sparkos

PCM63 R2R Adcom GDA-600 24/96 Side Quest #1

Master Clock

New fast 74xx logic chips installed:

IMG_1105.jpg
Result: producing a signal now, instead of flat-line... janky.

IMG_1096.jpg

Poked around with a second 220pf capacitor, adding in parallel (double 440pf) to try for an effect on the signal...

...this forced it to be clean, but always 11/12 MHz (never 22/24)

Bingo: adding in series (halved 110pf) produced a perfect (22/24MHz) just like an XO crystal =>

IMG_1100.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 2.57.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 3.08.34 PM.png

Janky / Perfect. Edit: freq. wise (well, pretty good haha) overshoot on the test point, at filter pin it’s better.

220.gif

Think it has a running shot to work, don't even have the DF1704 filter chip yet!

Still works perfectly as stock with these new parts and changed capacitor value.

Thanks! appreciate thoughts, critiques and anything that could help this work.

Electronics 101 is fun :slight_smile::slight_smile:

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    960.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #146,845 of 150,076
IMG_7703.jpegIMG_7702.jpeg

My last mini rack for Schiit gear is taking shape. Just some finish work coming up.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #146,846 of 150,076
I've been busy but am appreciating everyone's trumpeter responses. Some good players to look up! A number of them I've not heard of before.

I discovered Matthew Halsall somewhat recently and have particularly enjoyed 'Into Forever' a lot, as well as his latest, 'An Ever Changing View'. Oh, and Hania Rani is a lovely person crafting lovely music. 🥰

I spotted that Ambrose Akinmusire album 'Owl Song' and have been meaning to check it out. Jonathan Finlayson's albums are not available on Qobuz but are on Apple Music.

I recognize 'Chief Xian' as Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah from his album 'Ancestral Recall' which is rad.

I personally tend towards classic jazz from the 60's and 70's primarily, and if it's contemporary jazz, it'll be more of a modern world, beat, or hip-hop infused, jam- or ambient-type jazz (Makaya McKraven, Messthetics, N to the Power, Yussef Dayes, Theo Parrish, Kham Meslien, Moor Mother, and Shabaka Hutchings are all worth looking up.) A particularly favorite recent trumpeter was Jamie Branch; a force of nature if ever there was one. Sadly, she was taken from us far too soon, a real tragedy as she still had so much left to say on this earth. 😢

Also need to shout out the ECM roster of musicians, not all of whom are my cup of tea, but who offer a wide-ranging world view of jazz; especially those European ensembles whose music tends toward a darker more introspective ambient vibe that I can really sink into.

Most popular modern mainstream jazz and artists (Marsalis, Krall, and the like) seem to escape me for some reason, but so too does most popular mainstream music so no shade intended. 😉

Sorry for the long post.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #146,847 of 150,076
My favorite trumpet player is my son.🤪🤪

I am using up some materials to make a five shelf mini rack for @Moondog55. I happened upon some amazing dark tiger maple for shelf supports. Combined with light tiger maple and lacewood. This should be pretty spiffy when done.IMG_7690.jpeg

Man, your wood dealer has access to some fine stock!

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #146,849 of 150,076
Man, your wood dealer has access to some fine stock!
Three sources on this stuff lol. Lacewood is fairly common to buy from exotic wood dealers. This is probably going to be prettier than it deserves to be, the fancy tiger maple will not show a lot, but I will know it is there. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back