Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #146,791 of 151,895
I never mind sharing good whiskey but if I opened that Blending House up to peeps on here there'd be nothing left to bottle! 🤪

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing: I gotta go to Total Wine on Saturday...

dead soldier.jpeg

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #146,794 of 151,895
Troy Andrews aka Trombone Shorty. Most know him for his New Orleans style funk/jazz/soul but his album released under the Troy Andrews Quintet is worth a listen. Might be hard to find.

Not on Qobuz or Tidal. Checked on Amazon... $127 for a new CD!

Scored a used VG condition one for $12.99!

😁

I think this is gonna be a good one...

Featuring: Ellis Marsalis, Jason Marsalis, Irvin Mayfield, Kermitt Ruffins, John Boutte, Michael Pellera & Bill Huntington This highly anticipated Modern Jazz recording of Troy's original compositions and Jazz standards is destined to turn the jazz world upside down. A double-threat on both Trombone and Trumpet, his tone, phrasing & timing will be compared to the greats.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #146,795 of 151,895
You're going to need a bigger desk.

:beerchug:
JC
You need a larger desk.

It took forever to find one just the right size. No full size components here. (offscreen, to the left is my downsize-for-retirement setup, big TV etc).

MagPi, MMB2 soon, Eta Mini C when I get some opens in the other place...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #146,797 of 151,895
Come August I may need a smaller wallet. 😒

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #146,798 of 151,895
Not on Qobuz or Tidal. Checked on Amazon... $127 for a new CD!

Scored a used VG condition one for $12.99!

😁

I think this is gonna be a good one...

Featuring: Ellis Marsalis, Jason Marsalis, Irvin Mayfield, Kermitt Ruffins, John Boutte, Michael Pellera & Bill Huntington This highly anticipated Modern Jazz recording of Troy's original compositions and Jazz standards is destined to turn the jazz world upside down. A double-threat on both Trombone and Trumpet, his tone, phrasing & timing will be compared to the greats.
Yep. He’s definitely talented. From an old TV show - (post hurricane Katrina)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #146,799 of 151,895
Tonight's 2 Jazz recommendations...

1000005275.jpg

1000005273.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #146,800 of 151,895
Yep. He’s definitely talented. From an old TV show - (post hurricane Katrina)

Oh, wow! I have that carefully extracted from the DVD (BluRay?) of that TV show, which was fantastic (Studio 60).

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #146,801 of 151,895
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Who is everyone's most favoritest trumpeter?

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)
I can tell you my favorite *living* trumpeters are: Ambrose Akinmusire, Adam O'Farrill, Jonathan Finlayson. We all love the classics, but listening to and supporting new players is how the music keeps developing. Album recommendations: Owl Song (led by Akinmusire), Cloudward (led by Mary Halvorson, superb performance by O'Farrill), 3 Times Round (led by Finlayson).

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #146,802 of 151,895
I second this. Any of the albums by Chief Xian aTunde Adjuah. I’m a HUGE fan of his earlier albums under the different names he used. Really amazing unique stuff. I keep coming back over and over to him.
Stretch music is so, so, so good, one of my favorite albums ever.

Screenshot_20240404_194604_Chrome.jpg

I've seen him each of the last two years, he brings a great group and Weedie Braimah adds so much to the live shows.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #146,803 of 151,895
Tonight's 2 Jazz recommendations...

1000005275.jpg
1000005273.jpg
Excellent choices! I'm still in awe of the last time I heard Kenny Garrett & band at SFJAZZ, playing some of that music. I'm not sure I ever heard Holland, Eubanks, and Calvaire together, but I've heard them many times in various combinations. Calvaire is one of my current favorite drummers (with Tyshawn Sorey, and, always, Brian Blade).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back