Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #146,656 of 153,145
For the eclipse crowd, while I'm sure the local weather reports will reflect it, expect cooler weather during the eclipse (and not just during the "total" eclipse hours). We had one in 1984 over the Georgia Tech campus, while I was a student there. It was markedly cooler that morning when I left the dorms, as a partial eclipse had already begun even though the morning sun seemed as bright as usual. When the full eclipse got going, it was definitely a neat experience. During the middle of the day, being able to see all the lights in the nearby (off campus) office buildings was definitely odd, while everything had a dusk appearance. (the Georgia Tech campus is on a large expanse of land within downtown Atlanta for those unaware).

Enjoy!
And Georgia wasn’t even in totality. Totality is a binary thing. Miss it by 2 miles, and Nada, zip, zilch… you’ll get darker, but no true “magic”. It really is worth it to go the extra “mile”. Yeah, you’ll get the really cool/weird shadows, and darkness/twilight effects, and cooling…

I know one guy whose life passion is literally to spend, as he calls it: “2 hours in the Moons shadow before I die”… he’s up to 1:49 at this point, and hopes for another 3-4 minutes this time (he’s in Texas so maybe at current risk).

I know I sound the fanboy, but it really IS other-worldly

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #146,658 of 153,145
Here's a question on tubes: I have some headphones and I want to try tubes: do I go for a Valhalla 2, a Vali 3, or wait for Valhalla 3? Put a different way, should my first tube product be a hybrid or otl (or otl/ocl) product?
OK, I'll ask the important question. What headphones are you wanting to try tubes with? Hi impedance dynamic cans such as Sennheisers will sing with OTL amps. Low impedance planars prolly need a hybrid. Others with more experience should chime in now...

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #146,659 of 153,145
OK, I'll ask the important question. What headphones are you wanting to try tubes with? Hi impedance dynamic cans such as Sennheisers will sing with OTL amps. Low impedance planars prolly need a hybrid. Others with more experience should chime in now...
I think you are spot-on. :wink:

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #146,662 of 153,145
Ok, I just had the time to watch Jason's latest video on YouTube at lunch today and all I can say is though I am enjoying my Skoll with my balanced VPI turntable, I am super excited about the forthcoming Stjarna!

Money in hand and waiting! Does anybody know if it will have balanced inputs as well?

Also a little bummed about no tube power amp, but after his explanation I understand it. I learned a lot watching his videos and enjoy them. Keep making great gear and posting your videos Jason, I appreciate and enjoy them.

Also, welcome to Texas!

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #146,663 of 153,145
I will at some point in the future when completed, a good friend is sending it my way but we are not there yet. I am working on clearing space in my shop, thus I am building a few things for folks on here. I am still hoping someone else needs a mini rack for Vali sized pieces.😁 Finnegan requested I trade for smoked salmon so I shall.
I will gladly trade you for a smoked salmon; does Finnegan want pink, coho, chinook, coho, or some other breed?

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #146,664 of 153,145
All this talk of craft beers makes me rather envious of the state of play outside Oz.
The craft brewers here are being hit by a few financial issues, some of which relate to the incredibly high (and indexed to inflation) alcohol excises. Others are cost of living pressures reducing sales and more, I'm sure some are just small businesses caught out after Covid or who really aren't set up well commercially.
Regardless, we are seeing a lot of closures and it's quite noticeable on the shelves :slight_frown:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...xplained/5a030fa2-0009-48b1-a9b8-80fd05ca127c
Same here in Canada

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #146,665 of 153,145
I will gladly trade you for a smoked salmon; does Finnegan want pink, coho, chinook, coho, or some other breed?
He is partial to Sockeye🤪 How many tiger maple shelves and what dark wood sides? Walnut, wenge, rosewood, etc? Just remember the base will act as a shelf as well.😸😸

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #146,667 of 153,145
He is partial to Sockeye🤪 How many tiger maple shelves and what dark wood sides? Walnut, wenge, rosewood, etc? Just remember the base will act as a shelf as well.😸😸
If he is trading for you, I would expect that you would arrive at my shop prepared to work!

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #146,668 of 153,145
If he is trading for you, I would expect that you would arrive at my shop prepared to work!
Yeah but I would have to bring him along and your shop would be a disaster area. Tubes are his cat toys.🤪

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #146,669 of 153,145
Here's a question on tubes: I have some headphones and I want to try tubes: do I go for a Valhalla 2, a Vali 3, or wait for Valhalla 3? Put a different way, should my first tube product be a hybrid or otl (or otl/ocl) product?
Having owned the Valhalla 2 along with several other OTL and OTC tube amps, I would wait for specs on the Valhalla 3.

That said, I still love my Vali 2+ (it was my first foray into hi-fi in general, and Schiit in particular) and would probably never sell it in any case. There seem to be mixed opinions on how tubey the Vali 3 is, but if I didn't already have the 2+ I would definitely spring for one!

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #146,670 of 153,145
Wow, it's crazy how fast this thread moves these days!

For quite a while I'd check in once a week or so and it'd maybe move 10 pages, now it does that in a day. It's really sad that we cannot self police ourselves and that Jason has had to warn us twice since I'd last checked on the thread a couple days ago about not posting certain content.

We really need to work better at this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back