Apr 3, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #146,611 of 152,719
Testing is always fun!
Re-visit my demo stuff...

https://open.qobuz.com/track/87576257
Take a listen to "What She Really Wants"

1712152994410.png

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #146,612 of 152,719
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #146,613 of 152,719
I saw Sonny Landreth at a small club in Ft.Worth 25-30 years ago. It was one of the impressive performances I've ever witnessed. I've been a big fan ever since and I own all of his CDs.

Yep, this guy’s level of artistry with a guitar is stunning. Every few years I find myself in a bit of a phase where I’m listening to his albums for weeks on end. Won’t be surprised if your post triggers another one of those.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #146,614 of 152,719
But let's forget politics for a second. Let's talk about something that seems to be disappearing: courtesy.

As in, consideration of how other people feel. Acknowledgement that their time is worth something. Gratitude for a polite response when making a small intrusion.

It's far too easy to broadcast a message to everyone here, sometimes complete with @tags*, and expect everyone to drop everything and answer immediately. Even on a Friday afternoon. Or over a weekend. Or on a holiday. It's far too easy everywhere. And we are the worse for it, at least in my opinion.

There's a reason I don't bother our employees or contractors or home builders on Friday at 4:30PM, nor over the weekend. There's a reason I don't assume I can schedule meetings on days they are usually off. There's a reason I don't shout "Boy!" in a restaurant, there's a reason I don't throw tantrums in the middle of a tire store, there's a reason I don't carp and grouse because someone can't drop everything right now for me, and there's a reason I say "Excuse me," and "Thank you for taking the time."

There's also a reason I ask myself, "Does everyone need to know this? Is this important to them?" before posting. There's a reason I remind myself, when on other threads, that this isn't Jason's Bar, nor is it the Schiit Shop, and so talking about what we do and what we sell is a bit crass.

And that reason is that I can understand that many people take them and their time for granted, and that is not fair. This is called "being polite," or "common courtesy." Though, sadly, it doesn't seem so common today.

* @tags are the equivalent of shouting "Boy!" in a restaurant while snapping your fingers. At least in my opinion.
I can only give this a "Like" because there isn't a "Wild Applause" option.

Although, I do visit to read you talking about what you do and what you sell. (And what I enjoy so much every day, BTW.) Not crass at all.

Thanks for hosting, and for putting up with us.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #146,615 of 152,719
I'm starting to understand it as a full signal that the amp is designed to produce cleanly that then gets attenuated by the volume pot. I think I have an old school mentality of full volume driving a signal into realms of extremity it wasn't necessarily designed to be at for long.
Don't think of it that way... unless there is residual noise in the amp/pre-amp circuit, running the volume at max won't hurt anything.

Getting gain settings correct can be a challenge in systems that have multiple volume controls, but you shouldn't fear running the input device WOT.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #146,616 of 152,719
Don't think of it that way... unless there is residual noise in the amp/pre-amp circuit, running the volume at max won't hurt anything.

Getting gain settings correct can be a challenge in systems that have multiple volume controls, but you shouldn't fear running the input device WOT.
Very good to hear this. My mind is being molded and shaped into a better thing today! Love that. :)

I'm loving what I'm hearing from the HD6XX, just wish they had more bass presence, authority, and wallop. Like, there are lower frequencies there and I'm hearing them, but they sound like they're next door, not in the space with all of the other frequencies. My Final E5000 are not like that - the bass frequencies have absolutely as much presence and importance as every other frequency in a song. It's my favorite aspect of those IEMs.

I'm just realizing that my ears have started disliking the pressure of IEMs properly inserted so I've borrowed the HD6XX as an exploration back to over-ear 'phones. I just need a more complete package frequency response-wise than the 6XX provides.

I'm open to anybody's suggestions in the sub-$500-ish range that pair well with a Magni+.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #146,617 of 152,719
Very good to hear this. My mind is being molded and shaped into a better thing today! Love that. :)

I'm loving what I'm hearing from the HD6XX, just wish they had more bass presence, authority, and wallop. Like, there are lower frequencies there and I'm hearing them, but they sound like they're next door, not in the space with all of the other frequencies. My Final E5000 are not like that - the bass frequencies have absolutely as much presence and importance as every other frequency in a song. It's my favorite aspect of those IEMs.

I'm just realizing that my ears have started disliking the pressure of IEMs properly inserted so I've borrowed the HD6XX as an exploration back to over-ear 'phones. I just need a more complete package frequency response-wise than the 6XX provides.

I'm open to anybody's suggestions in the sub-$500-ish range that pair well with a Magni+.
Try the Sony MV1s. Super light and comfortable and really solid bass IMO.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #146,619 of 152,719

+1 for Hifiman Sundara phones.

:beerchug:
JC

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #146,621 of 152,719
I enjoyed (immensely) the 2017 Eclipse with a dram of Elmer T Lee Bourbon. The bats suddenly flying overhead did not care one whit for my dram of choice but it was a sublime moment for sure.

I deeply wish I could travel for this eclipse. I simply must see another totality in my lifetime.
In 1989 we began planning our first total solar eclipse trip. It's easy enough to do long range planning and at the time saw the date for the 2017 total and Wyoming, that looked good. The next was 2024 and through Texas that looked good too.

Thing was we didn't know the odds of us living long enough to see 2024 let alone travel to it! :)

This will be our 5th total if the skies cooperate, but it's not looking good for most of Texas. Which is a shame for such a large population.

If you have never stood near the center line of a total solar eclipse for a perfect 360° twilight with critters going to roost and the sun's corona streaming out in all directions, some shimmering and mesmerizingly long, well it is impossible to tell another what that is really like.

And then you think of all the billions of humans to ever walk this planet, and practically NONE of them have ever seen the suns corona. Even during the 20th century when scientists were learning about the sun practically no one saw it!!

At Cabo San Lucas, Baja peninsula Mexico in 1991 we had our Corona beers for celebration. "See a Corona have a Corona!" Almost 7 minutes of the suns corona, near record length. (Astronomy club folks :) are easily amused and get tipsy easy and are wowed by what nature offers)

I almost bought Corona yesterday but when in Rome:
IMG_20240403_121358767~2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #146,622 of 152,719
Not these?

Ok you talked me into those as well lol. I am doing a test listen to mini speakers anyway as well as working on an idea for a flight/drink/snack board. With guests coming in I wanted to find the perfect glassware. IMG_7674.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #146,623 of 152,719
In 1989 we began planning our first total solar eclipse trip. It's easy enough to do long range planning and at the time saw the date for the 2017 total and Wyoming, that looked good. The next was 2024 and through Texas that looked good too.

Thing was we didn't know the odds of us living long enough to see 2024 let alone travel to it! :)

This will be our 5th total if the skies cooperate, but it's not looking good for most of Texas. Which is a shame for such a large population.

If you have never stood near the center line of a total solar eclipse for a perfect 360° twilight with critters going to roost and the sun's corona streaming out in all directions, some shimmering and mesmerizingly long, well it is impossible to tell another what that is really like.

And then you think of all the billions of humans to ever walk this planet, and practically NONE of them have ever seen the suns corona. Even during the 20th century when scientists were learning about the sun practically no one saw it!!

At Cabo San Lucas, Baja peninsula Mexico in 1991 we had our Corona beers for celebration. "See a Corona have a Corona!" Almost 7 minutes of the suns corona, near record length. (Astronomy club folks :) are easily amused and get tipsy easy and are wowed by what nature offers)

I almost bought Corona yesterday but when in Rome:IMG_20240403_121358767~2.jpg
Agreed, totality is an otherworldly experience. I am so blessed to have seen the one. Seven minutes of that would be insane! 😮

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #146,624 of 152,719
Closest for me would be Texas and is still a very very long drive.

My next best chance without actually traveling for it is 2045 when totality passes over Northern California.
I like, COMPLETELY, forgot you were in Oregon… got you confused with @AstronomerXI … my bad…

Yeah, that would be insane drive…

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #146,625 of 152,719
Vali 3 has landed.....warming up with a 5670, CV4013 Sweedish Ericsson Co Ltd tube...
:>)
Alex

Vali 3, Vali 2+ with 12Au7 via adapter....

1712100060249.png
Is the 12AU7 really compatible with the 2+, or is that a “use at your own risk” kind of situation?

In the past when I’ve contacted Schiit support about compatible tubes, that wasn’t one of the families on their list…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back