Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #146,596 of 151,797
Good Morning all!

Its Vali 3 play day here!

Alex
Very cool, have fun! I plan to listen to the power ballad Total Eclipse of the Heart for some unknown reason.🤪

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #146,597 of 151,797
Very cool, have fun! I plan to listen to the power ballad Total Eclipse of the Heart for some unknown reason.🤪
So many choices here!
Amp is simple: Vali 3.
Cans: choose from 6.
Dacs choose from 5.
Tubes: Too Many!
Music choose from "Endless"...

Doing reviews is not always easy...
Fun, but it takes some hard objective analysis..
Then add in the subjective fun factor..
Myth vs Science!

:>)
Alex

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #146,598 of 151,797
So many choices here!
Dacs choose from 5.

Myth vs Science!

Alex
How about tube choices or is it too early for that?🤪

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #146,599 of 151,797
I'm almost tempted to say their Garryana Single Malt is worth delaying a flight for. Almost. 😉
Never thought I'd have anything to contribute to this subject, but................. There is a brewery/distillery in El Segundo, California called R6 Distillery. It turns out that the head distiller is the son of my boyhood best friend.

Anyone ever tried anything from R6 Distillery?

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #146,600 of 151,797
From the current forecasts I can see, it is in New England and the Maritimes that will have the best weather for this one. And, the duration this time is significantly longer than 2017. I drove from Massachusetts to Tennessee for that one. Took us 16 hours to get from mid-Tennessee to Hagerstown Maryland on I81 *after* the eclipse, though. Traffic from hell.

I should think you could drive “over” to the parts of Canada that get totality, or is it too far for you @sixergixer ? I’m going to take my Lunt60 HA double stack, and my Canon IS 18x50’s (they have solar filters for them). I’m NOT going to do astrophotography, I’d rather just immerse myself. I will likely have my Nikon Z6 with a 12mm f2.0 recording video wide angler throughout.

But we’ll be “chasing” the gaps in clouds I’m quite certain. I’m bringing my bottle of Midleton reserve… :wink:

Nice solar scope! I have a Coronado MaxScope HA 40mm. I've been eyeing a bigger one, but other priorities have put it further back on the priority list. I'm planning a time-lapse, some wide-field shooting, and eclipse imaging with my 150-600mm lens and solar filter (which will come off during totality).

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #146,601 of 151,797
All this talk of craft beers makes me rather envious of the state of play outside Oz.
The craft brewers here are being hit by a few financial issues, some of which relate to the incredibly high (and indexed to inflation) alcohol excises. Others are cost of living pressures reducing sales and more, I'm sure some are just small businesses caught out after Covid or who really aren't set up well commercially.
Regardless, we are seeing a lot of closures and it's quite noticeable on the shelves :slight_frown:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...xplained/5a030fa2-0009-48b1-a9b8-80fd05ca127c
That's very unfortunate news.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #146,602 of 151,797
Anyone still using an Asgard 2 these days? What does the thing sound like? I'm thinking about finding one on the used market for a secondary setup. After loving the Mjolnir 3 since its release, I think I'd like to pickup it's older and smaller Class A brother.
It sounds like Class A. Very natural. Check your PMs.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #146,603 of 151,797
That's good stuff but go to Breaux Bridge for all the original Cajun.
Hell yeah ... Sonny Landreth and Branford Marsalis are from Breaux Bridge.
If you haven't heard Mr. Landreth play the cajun blues slide guitar, check him out. :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #146,604 of 151,797
I run my Freya S into an Asgard 2 with the amp pot at max. This subject comes up fairly frequently and I don't remember Jason popping in to say it's a bad idea.

Am I concerned about increased noise with the knob at max? Not at all. My guess is the first thing an audio signal encounters in Schiit head amps is a pot. Its job is to attenuate the input voltage before it gets to the amplifier stage. This means any noise generated by the amp itself will remain constant, not change with volume. I have to say that I'm always awed how dead quiet the setup is when it's in use.

Passive mode on Freya S is my favorite because it sounds so clean. It convinced me to finish a passive stepped preamp project I'd dropped years ago.
I'm starting to understand it as a full signal that the amp is designed to produce cleanly that then gets attenuated by the volume pot. I think I have an old school mentality of full volume driving a signal into realms of extremity it wasn't necessarily designed to be at for long.

I appreciate everyone's input on this one! :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #146,605 of 151,797
Well I think I kindah sorta got caught up with this thread after dreaming of large rustic HiFi racks.

But now I have another problem and I see Ripper is here, bean expert. Being a Florida resident for 63 years where Publix is king, we say Publix-schmuglix! Getting groceries and dining in at H-E-B all at the same time is the way to go. And $5.00 pints on draft on Tuesday...all day.

So, is it ok to have a little brisket chopped in with the beans? Tasty idea anyway.IMG_20240402_171104151.jpg
IMG_20240402_174030347.jpg
Must take a nap now!
That's a good practice from a GMP viewpoint, sir. Follow the procedure to the letter, and document properly with before and after photos.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #146,606 of 151,797
How about tube choices or is it too early for that?🤪
Abit early...
Starting with the stock 6NP3 tube.
Listen with one dac, the one I use has a variable dac out.
Try several cans
Try on Low and High gain.
Write impressions.

Then try different tubes and rinse and repeat.

I have a a few WE 396a's, 5670's, and 2C51's I will try at the end of this...

I will definitely listen with the Modius E and MB2.

Alex

So far HD650's, HE1000SE's and Rad 0's...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #146,607 of 151,797
From the current forecasts I can see, it is in New England and the Maritimes that will have the best weather for this one. And, the duration this time is significantly longer than 2017. I drove from Massachusetts to Tennessee for that one. Took us 16 hours to get from mid-Tennessee to Hagerstown Maryland on I81 *after* the eclipse, though. Traffic from hell.

I should think you could drive “over” to the parts of Canada that get totality, or is it too far for you @sixergixer ? I’m going to take my Lunt60 HA double stack, and my Canon IS 18x50’s (they have solar filters for them). I’m NOT going to do astrophotography, I’d rather just immerse myself. I will likely have my Nikon Z6 with a 12mm f2.0 recording video wide angler throughout.

But we’ll be “chasing” the gaps in clouds I’m quite certain. I’m bringing my bottle of Midleton reserve… :wink:
Closest for me would be Texas and is still a very very long drive.

My next best chance without actually traveling for it is 2045 when totality passes over Northern California.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #146,608 of 151,797
Hell yeah ... Sonny Landreth and Branford Marsalis are from Breaux Bridge.
If you haven't heard Mr. Landreth play the cajun blues slide guitar, check him out. :)
I saw Sonny Landreth at a small club in Ft.Worth 25-30 years ago. It was one of the impressive performances I've ever witnessed. I've been a big fan ever since and I own all of his CDs.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #146,609 of 151,797
Never thought I'd have anything to contribute to this subject, but................. There is a brewery/distillery in El Segundo, California called R6 Distillery. It turns out that the head distiller is the son of my boyhood best friend.

Anyone ever tried anything from R6 Distillery?
I am unfamiliar with it but that's a fun little connection!

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #146,610 of 151,797
So many choices here!
Dacs choose from 5.
Tubes: Too Many!

Myth vs Science!

Alex
Watch out for mythical science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back