Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #146,566 of 152,770
I enjoyed (immensely) the 2017 Eclipse with a dram of Elmer T Lee Bourbon. The bats suddenly flying overhead did not care one whit for my dram of choice but it was a sublime moment for sure.

I deeply wish I could travel for this eclipse. I simply must see another totality in my lifetime.
We have people coming into town to see it here. Hopefully the weather is decent.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #146,568 of 152,770
We have people coming into town to see it here. Hopefully the weather is decent.
Are there Finnegan precautions to take; or does 😸 🕶️ ☀️?

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #146,569 of 152,770
From CNN:
IMG_7697.jpeg

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #146,570 of 152,770
So, i decided to dust off the Jot2. I'm using the Freya N balanced to Jot2. Jot2 volume at max and using Freya N to control volume.

Is there any issues with this? Sounds great with DCA Stealth.
I've been curious about this kind of chain as well. In my case, it's Freya N (for source switching and remote-controlled volume) feeding a Magni+. I've generally been at about 3/4 volume on each device and it sounds great, but should one be at max and the other at lower? What's the general consensus here?

Edit: Strangely enough, passive mode on the N has become my current favorite for listening with a borrowed pair of Drop HD6XX 'phones, even more than with tubes. There is a certain synergy in this chai that is mesmerizing. 😍

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #146,572 of 152,770
Anyone here happen to own the early ZMF models like the Ori or Blackwood? I'm wondering which Schiit would best power those planar beasts and still sound fun. Mjolnir 2 seemed like a good choice, but what about current lineup?
Ooh ooh! I have Vibro Mk II 'phones (the ones in my avatar) so I'd be curious about this as well.

*The left channel cut out permanently and I need to send them back to Zack for repair.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #146,573 of 152,770
You really need to stop this. I don't need to keep driving to the closest Total Wine, 1 hour away. It would be easier if the work flights out of Pensacola took off late enough to hit the store before takeoff, or landed early enough to hit the store on the way home. Sadly no, its the 6am flight out and landing at 9pm so it makes it fun.
I'm almost tempted to say their Garryana Single Malt is worth delaying a flight for. Almost. 😉

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #146,574 of 152,770
I've been curious about this kind of chain as well. In my case, it's Freya N (for source switching and remote-controlled volume) feeding a Magni+. I've generally been at about 3/4 volume on each device and it sounds great, but should one be at max and the other at lower? What's the general consensus here?
I would say try with the magni maxed and, if you're not getting any noise, just use the freya volume. If you do get noise at max volume from magni, just back it off until you don’t hear any noise, and then just use the freya volume. That’s the process I would use if it were me, anyway

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #146,575 of 152,770
I'm hoping right along with you, brother! Once-in-a-lifetime natural events ought never be impeded by, ahem... natural events.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #146,576 of 152,770
I would say try with the magni maxed and, if you're not getting any noise, just use the freya volume. If you do get noise at max volume from magni, just back it off until you don’t hear any noise, and then just use the freya volume. That’s the process I would use if it were me, anyway
I appreciate that suggestion. It's almost the same thing I've done with my powered AudioEngine A5+ speakers that the Freya is feeding sources to, except I've backed off on speaker volume just a tad out of concern for volume pot noise or other distortion, though I've not heard anything untoward so far.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #146,577 of 152,770

Edit: Strangely enough, passive mode on the N has become my current favorite for listening with a borrowed pair of Drop HD6XX 'phones, even more than with tubes. There is a certain synergy in this chai that is mesmerizing. 😍
Maxing out the pot essentially means it’s no longer affecting the signal. Your headphone amp becomes just like any speaker amp. Preamp controls the volume.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #146,579 of 152,770
All this talk of craft beers makes me rather envious of the state of play outside Oz.
The craft brewers here are being hit by a few financial issues, some of which relate to the incredibly high (and indexed to inflation) alcohol excises. Others are cost of living pressures reducing sales and more, I'm sure some are just small businesses caught out after Covid or who really aren't set up well commercially.
Regardless, we are seeing a lot of closures and it's quite noticeable on the shelves :slight_frown:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...xplained/5a030fa2-0009-48b1-a9b8-80fd05ca127c

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #146,580 of 152,770
@OldRoadToad - someone in Wisconsin has this for sale on the Schiit FaceBook group. When I saw the photo I thought of you from an earlier post where you wondered what those large PSVane tubes would look like in a Schiit amp/preamp. They do look pretty nice!

1712097059723.png
Complete with the trusty Ikea chopping board base!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back