Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #146,116 of 152,719
Listened to Beecham and LSO. Not my absolute favorite but the recording is interesting. A lot of depth and space - great voices. The Nelson recording I posted is much more intimate but the performance is superb and the sound quality excellent.

The more I hear Beecham and lower the volume into the night the recording is growing on me. :)

Added: Somehow the L-R balance on this recording (Qobuz) is weighed towards L :frowning2:.
“A lot of depth and space - great voices”

Welcome to sound staging and the beauties of RCA LSC’s of the 1957- around 1966 timeframe, and the pressings (and later CDs) of them. Those (and Mercury Living Presence recordings of the same era) chased reality in 3D…

Most of those recordings are wonderful for building out a home system that can also “take you there” (as opposed to bringing there to you). Then, once one is “hooked” on soundstaging with such realistically recorded pieces on dynamic speakers… one (makes the mistake?) of hearing same on good planars… Boom.

Find an old CD of an RCA LSC or Mercury Living Presence and hear.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #146,117 of 152,719
No, its' the same RCA cables into the Aegir 2 as I use into the Aegir 1. Both are RCA only if running stereo, which is how I use each one.
Sounds like a defective unit to me. Running in stereo they should not go into protection very easily I would think. That’s a bummer but I am sure they will get it sorted out for you. Good luck

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #146,118 of 152,719
Both the Aegir 2 and Aegir 1 are in the same room sitting out on a rack with nothing around them -- lots of air circulation -- and ambient temperature is around 67 degrees. I'm able to push the Aegir 1 harder than the Aegir 2, which is why I'm wondering about my Aegir 2. I expected it to go a little louder without tripping protection. Will see what I hear back from Schiit.
Also check you don't happen to have a short/stray wire in the speaker connection (but we should leave troubleshooting to Schiit per Jason's request a little while ago).

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #146,119 of 152,719
Listened to Beecham and LSO. Not my absolute favorite but the recording is interesting. A lot of depth and space - great voices. The Nelson recording I posted is much more intimate but the performance is superb and the sound quality excellent.

The more I hear Beecham and lower the volume into the night the recording is growing on me. :)

Added: Somehow the L-R balance on this recording (Qobuz) is weighed towards L :frowning2:.
I have it on CD and never noticed that phenomena. I will try and dig it out and check.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #146,120 of 152,719
Beecham’s Messiah is, for me, kinda bloated. Have a listen to Suzuki’s with the Bach Collegium Japan. One of my faves!
It is the Goossens orchestration. An interesting experiment in that Handel, being somewhat of a P. T. Barnum showman, would probably have embraced. The artists and performance are very good, and the recording is superb.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #146,121 of 152,719
“A lot of depth and space - great voices”

Welcome to sound staging and the beauties of RCA LSC’s of the 1957- around 1966 timeframe, and the pressings (and later CDs) of them. Those (and Mercury Living Presence recordings of the same era) chased reality in 3D…

Most of those recordings are wonderful for building out a home system that can also “take you there” (as opposed to bringing there to you). Then, once one is “hooked” on soundstaging with such realistically recorded pieces on dynamic speakers… one (makes the mistake?) of hearing same on good planars… Boom.

Find an old CD of an RCA LSC or Mercury Living Presence and hear.
Well stated! The production teams were top notch, the companies did not pinch pennies, and the musicians were serious about making the best recordings possible. Can you imagine today of doing what RCA did in 1959 when they could not get the sound that they wanted in Boston Symphony Hall? They removed one half of all of the audience seats from the orchestra floor and located the musicians there. Where so you even store all those hundreds of chairs? Since the organ pipe chambers could not be moved, a separate microphone array was provided for organ and orchestra, and the delay and phase adjusted [remember, all analog, no DSP, delay lines, etc.] by Lewis Layton to fill the soundstage, and produce a magnificent recording. Try that today.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #146,122 of 152,719
Try something different---the 1959 recording of Beecham/LSO on RCA with a full, modern orchestra and chorus. Some like, some hate YRMV, but an interesting listen. Handel, being the P. T. Barnum of his time, would most probably approve.

Do you have the Qobuz link to the Beecham / LSO Messiah? I have found a few with Beecham, but none are the LSO version.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #146,123 of 152,719
Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate these kinds of things, and happy 5th birthday to this little mental health professional:

IMG_0268.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #146,124 of 152,719

I found this interesting because I do or have owned some of these pieces. The rest I repaired for friends at one time or another. The Sansui 9090DB does not scare me because I work on my own gear and did my own refurbishment.

Also here is a favorite rendition of a song mentioning Eastern morn.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #146,125 of 152,719
Do you have the Qobuz link to the Beecham / LSO Messiah? I have found a few with Beecham, but none are the LSO version.
Sorry for the confusion--the version that I was speaking of [I do get senior moments], is the 1959 RCA recording of Messiah with Beecham and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. The version that @adias mentioned is the Beecham on Qobuz with the BBC Orchestra and Choir, label unknown, Qobuz says released 2021. I am afraid that we may be talking 2 different recordings, and perhaps, 2 different orchestrations.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #146,126 of 152,719
Mar 31, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #146,127 of 152,719
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #146,129 of 152,719
Sorry for the confusion--the version that I was speaking of [I do get senior moments], is the 1959 RCA recording of Messiah with Beecham and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. The version that @adias mentioned is the Beecham on Qobuz with the BBC Orchestra and Choir, label unknown, Qobuz says released 2021. I am afraid that we may be talking 2 different recordings, and perhaps, 2 different orchestrations.

The version I heard on Qobuz and previously commented on is the RPO under Beecham - very large orchestra and chorus (great voices). Recording is interesting with great spatial cues, but L-R balance is pushed to the L. Top end treble is missing - very anemic cymbals.

Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 9.23.08 AM.png

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #146,130 of 152,719
The version I heard on Qobuz and previously commented on is the RPO under Beecham - very large orchestra and chorus (great voices). Recording is interesting with great spatial cues, but L-R balance is pushed to the L. Top end treble is missing - very anemic cymbals.

Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 9.23.08 AM.png
That recording was made in 1959 and was originally released by RCA as a Gold Seal vinyl, which I have, along with the 3 CD release, which I also have. I will listen to the CD and see if your observations exist. It appears that the Qobuz may be a later remaster/release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back